Any unusal places to get work done?

DAVES89

I needed to get some aluminum wheels sandblasted and I didn't like the quotes I was getting from various repair shops to refinish [up to $100.00 each]. A friend of mine suggested a cemetary monument place as they sand blast the headstones for lettering and designs. I stopped in and the guy sandblasted both the front and back of each wheel for the price of $10.00 ea.

I then took them to my local body shop guy and he painted them with a two part epoxy. They look great!

Final cost $150.00 for all four.

Sometimes it helps to think outside the box. I would like to see a photo of the wheels.

One of the windows in our RV lost the vapor seal and it started to cloud up. Bill priced a new one. Somewhere near $500. I suggested he check with some local places that do manufactured windows for homes. They put new glass panels in the frame, redid the vapor seal and it was something like half of the cost of a new window. Now the other window is starting to have the same issue. We will be going back to the same business to have it done.

Rhino Lining (or same type company) to replace rubber on running boards. If the metal underneath your rubber running boards is the exact shape of the rubber (such as 1941-42 Packards) this is the ultimate solution. Several coats need to be applied with the sprayer adjusted to apply as smooth as possible. After it dries, you need to sand smooth. The end result is much, much better than any of the replacement glue-ons with corner patches.

I needed to get some aluminum wheels sandblasted and I didn't like the quotes I was getting from various repair shops to refinish [up to $100.00 each]. A friend of mine suggested a cemetary monument place as they sand blast the headstones for lettering and designs. I stopped in and the guy sandblasted both the front and back of each wheel for the price of $10.00 ea.

I then took them to my local body shop guy and he painted them with a two part epoxy. They look great!

Final cost $150.00 for all four.

Funny you mention that. I've been using a cemetery monument company in my town for a long time to do my sandblasting on larger parts. I do have a cabinet for smaller pieces but the bigger things I don't like messing with I take to him and like you found out the price is very reasonable.

impala

We once went to a place that repairs musical instruments to get a brass lamp silver soldered. They did nice work.

A friend of mine in San Diego has a shop like that and does re-silvering of reflectors.

Yeah,....Me. Why do you ask? :confused: Because I'm an unusual fellow that does a lot of unusual work on all sorts of old and odd things mechanical. :D

I have done for so long, with so little, and achived the absolute impossible. I am now qualified to do anything with absolutly nothing. ;)

Just send a blank check with your project. LOL...Dandy Dave!