Radio aux input jack

MrEarl

I see a lot of discussion related to radios on this forum and since the 93 Rivi carries the same radio as the 91 Reatta, hopefully someone can help.

I want to be able to plug an IPOD into my radio. My casssete deck currently won't eject tapes so the option of a connection using one of those types connectors is out. (unless of course I have the cassette deck repaired, which I don't have much faith in lasting long)

So my question is, is it possible to hardwire an aux input jack into the radio. If so is there anyone here that can do it or that knows where it can be done.

Did as you said Goggi, read about 5 threads related to aux inputs and ipods and 88-90 radios. Now I am totally confused, maybe I should just get my cassette fixed. I know I can stick a cassette with a wire to my IPOD into the cassete hole. :rolleyes:

Or I guess I could try and figure it all out. My first question/concern is that my radio and cassete and CD player are 93 Riviera and how does that fact work with what all was said re 90's radios. Here is a picture of my set up.

post-31987-143138097396_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138097398_thumb.jpg

Guest The Goggi

Probably easier in your case to get a replacement from a salvage yard for somewhere in the neighborhood of $75

Or a refurb unit from various different places ...

None that I would recomend, but I found this in my search ... no experience with anyone.

Factory Gm Radios

you may decide to just go aftermarket ... could likely get a storage compartment to put in place of your CD and not worry about having a cassette ... new ones would even contrul the iPod.

They are getting quite inexpensive nowadays ... you don't have the same probs with interconnectivity that we w/ 88-89 Reattas have.

Edited by The Goggi (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Since your radio is self contained and not controlled by the touch screen as in the 88/89, most people in your situation upgrade to a new 1.5 DIN unit with all the features they want and save the factory radio to go back to if they want to go stock. Both of the AUX inputs are tied up with the tape and CD, and since the tape player probably needs to work to switch on and open it's inputs, and they're internal to the radio, makes it unlikey its worth the money to do what is needed to get it to work. Several people mention using RF converters (wireless or wired) to input the ipod, and that would be easiest if you don't want to replace the stock radio with something with better features and sound.

That looks like exactly what I am looking for Rawja!!! However I have been noticing my stock system just doesn't have the sound I would really like to have. Not sure if it's the radio itself (not enough power) or the speakers. I have began looking at the 1.5 din units and there just aren't many out there (and I despise all the tiny controls and modern look of them). Probably looking at $350 + for a nice Pioneer system, incl spkrs. And the 1.5 din Pioneers don't even come IPOD ready, you have to buy an aux hook up for it.

So now I just need to sort out just what it is I want. Thanks Rawja and everybody for offering up all the options.

Guest Richard D

I get the satellite radio's audio in with a FM modulator hooked up between the radio and antenna. It may not sound as good as a wire connection but Sirius/XM compress the audio so much and with the normal background road noise I am very pleased with it.

Richard

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/replaced-factory-radio-tape-player-speakers-264844.html

This is a recent thread I started. Perhaps it can help you with your problem. I really like the USB port on the Alpine radio. I loaded up a 4 g. flash drive with several hundred songs for my wife and she is delighted with her own library of music Our local stations are beyond bad and she doesn't care for XM Radio that much. Maybe I should tell her it carries more than Cardinals baseball and the Playboy channel. Good luck. Labrat.

Pins 11, 13, 14 are for input. If they are used for for the CD yo can play a silent cd and paralle an aux input. The are on the plug that would have six pins and one ridge. I can email a pic to yo if yo want. The catch with this is with out a CD player yo have to connect a delco aux device to activate the aux input every time that battery power is lost.