Green Cars are Boring

Dave@Moon

Unfortunately,when it comes to cars that are "green",this doesn't apply:(<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

It's certainly no fuel mileage champ, although that information is not given in the article. However as a vehicle designed from the outset to run exclusively on bio-fuels it is (at least technically) "green".:)

It's amazing that sheet metal can be formed into some very neat,sexy and desireable forms.Unfortunately,when it comes to cars that are "green",this doesn't apply:(

That is the next challenge - appearance. We are never going back to chrome bumpers and fins. It seems manufacturers won't think outside the box or are held in check by Federal crash and safety standards.

In the old days, these would have been shrugged off and worked around.

Hopefully, the massive market that was the SUV's for suburbanites - is over. I occupy my car nearly 96% of the time myself. My next car is a coupe - or 2 seater.

The Pontiac Fiero was a great concept, poorly executed engineering wise. It's interesting to note that the Fiero looks modern even today. A two seater commuter car with sports car looks.

Guest L.C.22
Green is a color, and I found the Stutz Bearcat to be far more impressive when I toured the Leno garage.

BAD BAD BAD BOB!

If I knew you'd like any Stdubtz over his Mercer I'd not gotten you the invite..... you better hope Fred doesn't see this! :D What's his email

Go sit in a corner....... how could you see anything ovr the Mercer!

BAD BAD BAD BOB!

If I knew you'd like any Stdubtz over his Mercer I'd not gotten you the invite..... you better hope Fred doesn't see this! :D What's his email

Go sit in a corner....... how could you see anything ovr the Mercer!

Green is a color, and I found the Stutz Bearcat to be far more impressive when I toured the Leno garage.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Gee I have to CMA on EVERYTHING I post! I said the green ex A.K. Miller Bearcat (restored by your Duesenberg pal) was impressive, the MERCER was GORGEOUR, and was my pick of the collection. Next five runner ups were the 30HP Stanley, either GP Bugatti, one of the big Bentleys, Crain Simplex and that dark green Stutz. Would the Ford GT40 be a good grocery getter for Debbie I'm not into that Post war stuff? :rolleyes::)

Guest Robin Coleman

BJM...It is just like my 87 Mazda RX-7. Mazda finally got the rotary engine right with the RX-8 when they moved the exhaust ports from the rotor housing to the side plates...My RX still looks modern...I agree...Designers need not sacrifice good looks if they have a mind to!

That's beside the point. It's not "green" per the greens' dogma. Therefore it's neither "green" nor acceptable to those who would force us to be "green".

I sure do get tired of agenda-driven politics. Much rather see politics work to improve things for betterment of the country and its citizens, instead of satisfying yet another special interest group with an agenda.

And while we're hung up on agenda-driven dogma, the rest of the world rotates on...

Guest DagoRed

VW makes a great little car, the Jetta, which can be had in a diesel called the TDI. It is neither dull, boring or looks like an eco/green car. It handles like a good German sedan, much like a 3-series BMW. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg and resale is very good. With all the low end grunt from this 140 HP turbo charged diesel through the Digital Sequential Gearbox, you would think you have a small V-8 under the hood. Want to pass, no problem there either. Lots of scoot at speed too. Comes in a wagon and a 4 door sedan and looks like every other Jettta and that ain't bad in my book. No weird too sloped windshield, rock hard narrow tires, over the top eco badging and less I forget, does not come with clear brake lights - so unlike the Prius, you can actually tell the front of the car from the rear. Also, the diameter of the dual exhast pipes are meaty looking. Compare them to the single pencil size pipe on the hybrids....

That's beside the point. It's not "green" per the greens' dogma. Therefore it's neither "green" nor acceptable to those who would force us to be "green".

I sure do get tired of agenda-driven politics. Much rather see politics work to improve things for betterment of the country and its citizens, instead of satisfying yet another special interest group with an agenda.

Glenn,

Promoting local tourism is an agenda. Saving historic buildings is an agenda. Advancing the causes of minority- and female-owned businesses is an agenda. Fighting for the betterment of public schools...etc.

Opposing any and all of those things is an agenda as well. Hating minorities, promoting development over preservation, promoting the exploitation of resourses to the detriment of tourism, valuing low taxes over educated children, etc.

Realizing that scientific study has, for a multitude of disciplines and angles of attack, uncovered a real and grave (& universally accepted to the extent that's even possible) threat that has to be addressed? That's a fact. If you denegrate that fact as an agenda, it's nothing more or less than delusional. At this point, some 20 years or so into the problem of climate change actually manifesting itself in physical terms, doing what you can about it is just something decent people do. You don't get to vote on fact.

Here you have Jay Leno, our country's leading gearhead by any definition, using his fortune to actually do something about it. (His garage, BTW, is actually carbon-neutral as well. I wish mine was!) And in doing so, he's building an eminently interesting car. Neil Young and his modified '58 Lincoln is another example of a gearhead who gets it. You don't have to like either one, but you cannot deny their raison d'etre.

"Green" isn't the enemy of the hobby, or of the car.

I wish some people would get that, because among some of the "greens" that attitude is being accepted as surrender. If you fear something, it'll often think you have a reason to do so.

Stop showing fear. Jay doesn't.:cool::)

==================

BTW, it is "green" car. It runs on kitchen grease. Does yours?:cool:

Guest Skyking

Dave, there's a big difference between Jay Leno and the common folk...................................Lot's of money!

Now THAT is REAL funny stuff you should write for Jay! For those that don't know Jay's Garage is a chain link fence away from the Burbank, Ca. Airport runway. Whatever carbon footprint he is saving gets eaten up by Al Gore and fat cat political pals flying in and out of the Airport. :rolleyes:

Here you have Jay Leno, our country's leading gearhead by any definition, using his fortune to actually do something about it. (His garage, BTW, is actually carbon-neutral as well. I wish mine was!) And in doing so, he's building an eminently interesting car. Neil Young and his modified '58 Lincoln is another example of a gearhead who gets it. You don't have to like either one, but you cannot deny their raison d'etre.

"Green" isn't the enemy of the hobby, or of the car.

I wish some people would get that, because among some of the "greens" that attitude is being accepted as surrender. If you fear something, it'll often think you have a reason to do so.

Stop showing fear. Jay doesn't.:cool::)

==================

BTW, it is "green" car. It runs on kitchen grease. Does yours?:cool:

Now THAT is REAL funny stuff you should write for Jay! For those that don't know Jay's Garage is a chain link fence away from the Burbank, Ca. Airport runway. Whatever carbon footprint he is saving gets eaten up by Al Gore and fat cat political pals flying in and out of the Airport. :rolleyes:

"Now if Jimmy jumped off the Empire State Building, and if Tommy jumped off the Empire State Building, and if Johnny jumped off the Empire State Building...., would that make it O.K. if you.....":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"And what if you just think they did young man?":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

================

I don't have to write for Jay. This stuff just writes itself!:D

Guest Dr. Strangelove

Some of these posts and posters to the esteemed Antique Automobile Club of America belong on the Jerry Springer show. Just read the above posts. Good night nurse!!

Some of these posts and posters to the esteemed Antique Automobile Club of America belong on the Jerry Springer show. Just read the above posts. Good night nurse!!

Doctor, they're mild to some of the others on this web site.

Note the "Clunkers"! :rolleyes:

I have to see my dentist every 3 months now just to prevent the enamel loss from my grinding teeth! :(