Enclosed Trailer height for Model T ?

Guest ken bogren

Guest ken bogren

How tall does an enclosed trailer need to be to safely transport a Model T (or similar, Touring car with the top up, or a Model T Center Door sedan?

At least 12" higher than the car to make up for bouncing.

keiser31,

Please explain what you mean by "bouncing".

Thank you in advance,

Peter J.

We own two enclosed trailers and some small, tall trucks. We don't have 12 inches of clearance but have never had a major bouncing problem. You can control the bouncing of the vehicle by how you bind it down in the trailer. The majority of the trailers being built have torsion axles. These do not bounce near as much as a heavily sprung axle. They actually ride rather well in my opinion.

The biggest problem with a height question is how tall will the next vehicle you might purchase be. That is the un-known. You can measure you Model T on a nice flat surface and get your needed door opening. If you tell that to your trailer dealer he can give you the needed height. Our first trailer was built with an additional 12 inches of clearance. The newer trailer is 18 inches over standard. When you get that tall though you may want to consider a V-nose. The height adds to the wind resistance. Our finished trailer height empty is about ten feet tall. Make sure your tow vehicle is capable of doing the job before you get carried away with bumping the roof up.

Good Luck

post-60266-143138090798_thumb.jpg

Edited by msmazcol (see edit history)

Guest ken bogren

Thanks for the responses guys.

I don't have a Model T now, so I don't know how tall they are.

I'm trying to be sure I get a trailer that can meet future needs. I'm buying a trailer to haul my current cars, a 63 Falcon and a 61 F100, but I'm hoping to get a Model T soon and want to be prepared.

So how tall is a Model T Touring car or Center door sedan, anyone know?

The door height us usually less than the ceiling & is usually the limiting factor.

I would also think that it would be very important to make sure the trailer had a beavertail floor at the door as well. While this feature seems to be standard now with car trailers, I am not sure that was always the case.

Now I get it? For the life of me I could not figure out why you could not measure your car.

Sorry no Model T's here.

As a matter of fact no FORD's at all.

The two Fords I owned were like boats, the happiest day was the day I sold them.

Sorry Ford fans don't get your undies in a bunch IMHO only.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: