Just sharing again...

keiser31

I too don't wish to bruse any of the easily offended or Professionally Offended, but have 80+ in my personall collection. All have an automobile on them, and I'm most interested in the ones that also have wings. One of the few automobile collectables that doesn't have a club or newsletter. I need a new camera, but this is one of two I have that has a motorcycle as well as the plane, train, auto, and ship.:)

post-31159-143138090744_thumb.jpg

Our friend Bill Bibb in Oak Hill, W. Va. has a beautiful Minerva that some of you may have seen at Hershey. Anyway, when he went to restore it he found a very nice oval St. Christopher medallion on the back of the front seat. It was covered in a thin, translucent blue enamel. He left it off of the car thinking that it had been added by an owner. That was until he took it to a show where one of the folks there asked where the medallion was. Seems they all came out of the factory with them, so he spruced it up and put it back where it belonged.

I too don't wish to bruse any of the easily offended or Professionally Offended, but have 80+ in my personall collection. All have an automobile on them, and I'm most interested in the ones that also have wings. One of the few automobile collectables that doesn't have a club or newsletter. I need a new camera, but this is one of two I have that has a motorcycle as well as the plane, train, auto, and ship.:)

you don't need a new camera, you just need to change to the close-up macro, it looks like a flower

I had my digital camera for years before I finally asked at a Best Buy on how I was supposed to get close-ups - they showed me

of course the info was in the manual, but who reads those things? :)

Bob, I think you're on to something with those medallions as a collectors item. They are a lot cheaper than spark plugs these days, so I may switch modes. Just what I need-another thing to collect. All your fault!

Terry

I have a super old dash mounted one showing a car maybe 1905? vintage. I forgot where I found it.

The coolest one i had was a visor pin type showing a 3D relief, 3/4 front view of a 55 chev Belair 2 dr post. That one I found on a visor in a 61 vw bug I bought. I sold that pin on ebay 2 years ago.

F&J The medal you just discribed is the one that got me started, Crica 1904 Renault style hood car behind St. Christopher. The one I had had an extra hole drilled in it, and I was happy to find a better one a few months later. Same medal except the wheel had 8 spokes and the other had 6, then I found others with different size inner circles. Now I've got 8 of them that at first glance are the same but had seperate dies made to press them. There are winged medals with states names on a banner, I've got 4 and need 46 more. There is another series with every California Mission on it. Once I can take quality photos I'll post them.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Guest palosfv3

Ahh,, St Christopher medals. Reminds me of a story that happened here at our shop a while back. Over the years we had repaired collision damage on several of the cars from a local catholic convent. The sisters are starting to get up in age and the visits started to get a little more frequent. One morning Sister Jane was dropping off the station wagon for repairs . After going through the authorization papers she said she had forgotten something in the car and would return the keys to the office after retriving her garage door opener. As she open the office door to hand over the keys she said. " Tell the guys to be carefull when getting into the car. St Christopher is liable to knock them over trying to get out . " I sure miss her she had a great sense of humor.

Ahh,, St Christopher medals. Reminds me of a story that happened here at our shop a while back. Over the years we had repaired collision damage on several of the cars from a local catholic convent. The sisters are starting to get up in age and the visits started to get a little more frequent. One morning Sister Jane was dropping off the station wagon for repairs . After going through the authorization papers she said she had forgotten something in the car and would return the keys to the office after retriving her garage door opener. As she open the office door to hand over the keys she said. " Tell the guys to be carefull when getting into the car. St Christopher is liable to knock them over trying to get out . " I sure miss her she had a great sense of humor.

What a great story. My brother and his wife will get a kick out of it for sure. :rolleyes:

Guest Bob Call

Reminds me of when I was a teenager in the 50's. Every Kooool Kat sported a St. Shristopher medallion on a silver chain. Went with our Mustang or Cushman Eagle scooters.