cracked block any suggestions

Hello

found that the 1918 I am restoring has several hairline cracks in the waterjacket on the cylinder side of the block. Water weeps from them. Other than scrap the whole thing and search for a replacement motor have any of you used JB Weld or TIG welding or some other technique? I Have not found any internal cracks as yet. Thanks

Guest 1930

I just recently read a good article on repairing cracks such as these but cannot now find it, just recently they had a discussion here that mentioned the same technique that I had read about in which they drilled a series of holes in block along crackline and fitted pins into the cracks in a zig zag formation if I am not mistaken. I am sure someone here can embelish on it. I can find the article I think at work on my toolbox Mon if you would like to have the copy.

" Stitching" is one of the names this process is called. I've never tried it, but I've seen blocks that were done. It can be done by pressing pins in reamed holes or place small screws in threaded holes. Each one overlaps the last and locks each other in. Time consuming but effective. Do any of your cracks go to the end surface, like the oilpan or head mating surface? I don't think it would work if they do. What about a good wire brushing and epoxy paint?

When I was a kid we used to go to the pharmacy and buy a couple of quarts of something caller 'waterglass' I dont know what it is but it seals small engine cracks when you put it in the radiator.

It might not be applicable here, but on a small single cylinder motorcycle case with a .005 crack in it I melted old body filler lead and poured it into the crack. I then filed off the excess and painted the case. It's got some miles on it and hasn't blistered the paint or leaked yet.

Thanks all

further examination of this engine found that on a previous rebuild the "mechanic" failed to install the bolt that hold each piston's wrist pin so the bolt slid back and forth badly ridging the cylinder wall..ON ALL CYLINDERS!!!In so far that it was bored 30 over it would need to be remachined to like 60 over plus the cracks (4) I have decided to take this engine (and me too) out of its misery and scrap it!!! I am now on the hunt for a rebuildable early 4 cylinder motor.