How do I title a 1928 Dodge Brothers Car?

Jeff350

Guest Dean_H.

I recently got a title for my 29 Hupp using only a bill of sale, here in CA. It was a bit of a headache but I got it. My advice is research the rules, and don't take no for an answer.

DMV sent me to the CHP to check the identification numbers. Each CHP office has one 'VIN number' cop who can check your car. In typical government fashion, you set up an appointment about two months out. The VIN officer I got was a nut, he had heard about Jay Leno finding a million dollar Duesenberg and figured my Hupp was of the same value. He didn't trust the data plate on the car, when I questioned his attitude, he indicated "this might be Donald Trumps car". I finally complained to the Sergeant and got out of there. DMV gave me a little trouble too, but I did get a title.

I think it's uncommon for someone to request a title for an antique car and they simply don't know what to do. Good luck.

I had to title a 1929 Chrysler with a bill of sale once here in Oregon. I loaded the car up on a trailer and took it down to the DMV. The clerk had no clue what I had on the trailer. I took her over to the dashboard FEDCO plate that I had tried to scrape off as best I could in order just to read it. I told her what I thought the numbers were and she looked real close and said "O.K. you're good to go". Done. To me, it looked like "CY8R" or some such thing. I really could not tell, but we all went away happy.

Welcome Jeff,

I just retitled a '29 Essex in Virginia, previous registration was Rhode Island. The previous owner gave me a"paid" Bill of Sale and also a previous license registration card proving him as the previous owner.

On arrival to the Virginia DMV, they researched Rhode Island records through a large large handbook and found that, yes, Rhode Island was a state without titles. Everything went smooth after that. I did not buy a license that day, as we intend to get a "year of manufacturer" license plate for our recent purchase.

Hope this helps!

Wayne

Guest Dean_H.

Kieser, you just described how CA DMV used to be. In the past I've titled cars without a problem. This time was a little more trouble. In fact, I was so happy just to get a title, when the clerk included current registration fees ($60), I didn't argue, even though I was about to tear it down. That turned into another headache. I started to get hostile letters from DMV for not having it insured. After arguing on the phone and getting nowhere. I was given the choice of either insuring it, or paying $15.00 to place it in non-op. I'm still a little irritated by the whole experience.

Guest adam_knox

Howdy fellow wisconsinite! By any chance is it a Victory Six? If so, there's another one in the state as well!

Now on to the question: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/title/replace.htm

Its apparently not an easy process, I had an old moped (that got stolen while doing the paper work), where I needed an officer to look at the VIN to check that it wasn't registered as stolen, and sign some forms. There's a fee of course, a loooooong wait (couple of months I was told on the phone), and a general understanding that they don't hand out titles very often. I say this not to discourage you, but rather to put the best effort into being patient and persistent, yet realistic about the hurdles (and sometimes cranky attitudes) of working with the WI DMV! Good luck!

Quit winning about $60 title fees. In Ohio it is about a $32 fee PLUS 6% to 8% (depending on the county you live in) sales tax on the purchase price. Even if it is a 100 year old antique. Needless to say there are a lot of used cars and antique cars in Ohio transferred with a " $1,000 purchase price ". Dealers can't get away with that but private sale, I am told, sometimes do.

Guest Dean_H.

Maybe I should move to Ohio. $60.00 was just the registration fee for one year. We have 9.25 sales tax here, plus there is a title transfer fee, new license plates costs, etc. My total fees were almost $700.

I live in Wisconsin. Wisconsin no longer accepts titles from Title companys. Recently I have procured two titles for cars sans title. Contact Brodway title, they know what states still accept title companys.They are fast abd reliable.Have a friend in one of those states, run the title through that state first, then your friend signs the car over to you. Start to finish it takes about 60 days. and a couple hundred bucks. Your blood pressure remains normal.

Hey, afriend gave me this application by a company that will get you a title. The name of the company is Broadway Title Company, Inc., P.O. Box #130303, Birmingham, Alabama, 35213, Phone # 800-4643222, Fax#205-326-1152, E-mail:titles@broadwaytitle.com . I've never used them but have passed it (copies) on to others who have said they did. Hope this helps. Oh yeah you will need a Notorized Bill of sale.