28 x 3 clincher wheels

oldford

I found these great wheels at the Rhinebeck swap meet (just beat Bob to them) but I don't recognize the hubs. The hub plate is just 6" in diameter and the rear break drum is 9 14" wide with a 2" breaking surface. Anyone recognize the hubs?

Frank

post-30765-143138070889_thumb.jpg

post-30765-143138070895_thumb.jpg

I'll add the second photo here, don't know why it didn't come up on the first post. Forgot to add that the brake drum has a cone shape between the breaking surface and the wheel.

post-30765-143138070895_thumb.jpg

The real odd feature was the internal threads for the hub cap. That and the heavy brake drum may point to the fact they were on an early commercial vehicle. They were the best things at the flea market this year and I'm glad you got them. Sure, you beat me out of a huge eBay profit, but I'll get over it. Actually when you think back to that Hudson wheel and parts deal 30+ years ago we're even.

One car that used internal threaded hubcaps was Metz. Those can't be from the earlier 22 hp Metz because the drums would have sprockets. The later 25hp Metz had a single chain drive in the center, so those 25hp drums would not have had sprockets.

I have no idea where to find a 25 hp Metz photo that would show the drum details. I think the 25 hp came out in the mid/late-teens, so is that too late for clinchers?

Bob-wheels? the best thing at the swap meet? What-no brass lights, odd spark plugs, good old signs, whats the world coming to? They are nice wheels though.

Terry