Help identifying Dodge engine

LennyDaVinci

I have a side-valve 6-cylinder engine fitted to a DA Roadster, and would like to accurately identify it before ordering any gaskets/components. I am aware that it is not the original for the car, but the engine is as follows:

* length of head approx. 25 inches

* K209 cast in the head

* #1534099 stamped on the head

* 1402529 cast in the block along with the DPCD logo

* fitted with downdraft Ball & Ball carburettor

* currently running on 12 volts

* mechanical fuel pump on front RHS of block

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's clearly a Chrysler/Dodge/Desoto, but that's all I can guess.

Most of those old Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth and Desoto side valve 6's all look similar Lenny.

Just below the head on the dizzy side there should be a small raised area with the engine no. stamped on it.

We also got them from the UK as well. They were called Kew 6's.

Manuel in Oz

In your lower photo look to see where the first spark lead passes over the joint line between block and head; there you will see a rectangular raised section on the block ( just slightly above and to the left of the round plug ). Scrape the paint off that raised surface and you will find the engine number.

The engine appears not to be original as your car should have a block with half exposed water jacket on the left side of block ( these blocks changed in 1934 / 35 to the style you have installed )

The fact that it is 25in long would make it a 250 ci probably from the 50s, but you will need the engine number to make a positive id

I can decipher USA engine nos but I can't read the Kew nos.

If its a Kew engine all the electrics [starter, gen and dizzy] may be Lucas.

Do u know when that engine was installed Len?

Because when Mitsubishi bought the Chry/Valiant factory they sold all the spare parts. Apparently there were heaps of new side valve 6s sold off.

Someone said some were painted red which is the industrial engine colour.

At least we are spreading the local language! In Australia, remove anything after the first syllable, and then add "ie", hence dizzie, gennie, carbie, hemi, leftie, ... it saves typing and unnecessary talking.

But sorry, the stamp definitely reads "TE1-2784..." and it is fitted with a Delco-Remy generator. So, this remains a mystery.

I guess any Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth flat-6 gaskets will fit?

Well said Lenny.

T prefixes were usually Dodge truck or Fargo engines. Industrials had IND.

Could the E stand for England/English?

Is the dizzy Delco as well?? It should have a tag on it. Generators get swapped around eg 6V or 12V.

As far as I know gaskets went by engine size. It didn't matter what the engine was in.

Cheers

Manuel in Oz

Guest elmo39

Lenny , my guess is your engine is a mid to late fifty's truck motor . i have a list of the export dodge truck motors engineering codes (ie)engine # my codes finish at 1953and the last ones shown are TX. looking at your photo's and going by the thermostat housing yours would be a mid to late fifty's ,the early ones had a bypass hose , it is not a K.E.W. engine if it was the engine # would start with K.E.W.Ordering a gasket set should not be a problem , being 25" it is a long block and all the long block sets are the same . i have a 39 DeSoto long block a 39 dodge long block and a 56 K.E.W. long block and they all use the same set. i hope this can help and not confuse you

Guest elmo39

also being 12 volt and having a delco gennie sounds right for a mid to late fifty's Aussie chrysler product they were mostly 12V . Although some of them , i think mostly , the K.E.W. used Lucas electrics

Hey thanks Elmo,

That's enough confidence for me to get a gasket set and see. I have looked at Myers website to try and match pictures of gaskets to my engine, and I think I will be OK to order one based on the '50s age. Would it be sufficient to describe it as 25" long block Chrysler?

Guest elmo39

Lenny

thats all i have done when ordering parts , but if you are ordering from the States it would probably pay to include the engine #.but do tell them that it is a long block 6 cyl. if you do intend to source your parts from the US i have found that either www.robertsmotorparts.com or www.the-now.com to be the best for Chrysler product parts , especialy the last one i mentioned ,good luck with your project,

Rex

Guest elmo39

sorry lenny the gremlins have got at me the last one should have read www.then-now.com , which is antique auto parts ,perhaps its because i'm sitting here typing with a tinny in my hand,, that will get the non aussie /kiwi's thinking

Manuel

I bought it from a DBC member near Hershey PA. in July 08. He got from another member, who is now deceased,i'm guessing about ten years ago. I talked to the daughter and she can't remember how her father got the car. I'd like to find out myself.