Old cars in creek

Guest Dean_H.

Guest Dean_H.

In the 50s and 60s it was evidently common to use junk cars as bank reinforcement for creeks. When I moved to my current location (about 20 years ago) the creek behind me was loaded with old treasures. In recent years the county has been removing a lot of them. There still is a few left if you hike far enough. I've always enjoyed checking them out, it's like an out door museum. I have seen car debris as old as the teens, but mostly it's '30-'60 stuff. This afternoon I walked out and snapped a few pictures.

crick.jpg

crick4.jpg

It appears this was placed on top of some older stuff

crick3.jpg

Here's another one

crick12.jpg

An interior shot of same

crick13.jpg

It even has a data plate on the door sill, with only a # visible

crick11.jpg

and some car parts

crick6.jpg

crick10.jpg

crick1.jpg

crick5.jpg

hope you enjoyed the tour

When I see photos like those I can't help but wonder what stories they could tell.

Surely some of them would be very sad. But many would tell of how excited their new owners and families were when they were driven home that first time. And the babies that took their first ride in them to come home from the hospital, some of whom got their start in the very same car. blush.gif And the young couple, like my mom and dad, that paid a friend to drive them to a nearby town to elope.

mdsbob request where is it?

My guess in near Bryson City North Carolina.

(that's in the Smoky Mountains)

If not, there is another place like it with a 57 Chevy, like this one, in to wall near Bryson City.

Reminds me of a search for local antique cars many years ago.

I visited a new car dealership in a nearby town and asked about any old cars or parts in the neighborhood. They steered me to a Rolls-Royce chassis that had been made into a farm wagon. I went to the hedgerow where it was located and found a 6" tree growing up through the 23" Buffalo wire wheels. That told me it probably was a mid 1920s Springfield Rolls. The next question to the owner was "What happened to the rest of the car?" He told me that it was an aluminum bodied Picadilly runabout. The body was scrapped during WWII and the engine and transmission dumped down the bank of the creek to prevent erosion. The chassis was lberated with the help of a chain saw and made its way to a restorer in Texas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a 1932 Packard 900 Coupe Sedan bady (one of 5 known) that washed out of a creek bed in Minnesota. Virtually unrestorable but I can't bear to scrap it due to its rarity. </div></div>

We want pics ! smile.gif

Do you have a pic of it? I'd like to see the body style.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">( Some of whom got there start in the very same car) You do mean there love of the hoby Right?? </div></div>

Depends on the meaning of the word "hobby". wink.gifgrin.gif

Guest 55olds98holiday

Bryson City N.C. My wife and I have traveled through that area the last several years and I've seen those old crushed cars many times. Good pic's Bob.

• 1 month later...