Fuel pump diaphragm material

TomTIII

Does anyone know of a source of diaphragm material that is immune to the new ethanol-gas mixes. My AC 6VEP11 diaphragm turned to jelley. Airteck tech. support has no such material to do a restoration. I anticipate a similar problem will occur with my '48 Chrysler pump.

Tom

post-59809-143138042891_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly it is a Neoprene compound. Elastomers come in a variety of compounds under the same name like Viton, EPDM, Neoprene, etc.

Check with a good gasket manufacturer or a supplier of fuel pumps to verify your application for modern gasolines or flex fuels.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BobOlds

I have a KEM rebuilt fuel pump I got with the car that I'd like to use. The box states it uses "Bunalon" diaphagms. Never heard of this stuff. What is it and can it be used with today's ethanol laced gasoline? The KEM web site offers no clues.

Thanks,

Bob

• 12 years later...

I got a kit from Auto Performance Engineering. It is still available as PN 300-714S but is not recommended for modern fuels. There is this caveat on their web site:

The latest versions of the Walbro bellows kits are made of the same material that they have been made of for the past 20 years or so.  

That material does not survive long in the newer fuels that contain all kinds of funky additives.   Fuels will alcohol in them tend to eat-up the bellows, too.

Your initial/previous bellows probably lasted 20 years or so; you should feel lucky of they last 20 months in today's fuels.

If your old bellows pump clicks wildly when you put power to it, yet does not flow any fuel, 99 percent of the time it is a failed bellows.  

You can buy a few bellows kits and rebuild your pump every couple years, or check out the FR Series pumps - they don't have a bellows.

Check out their site: https://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/bel_pump.html

Frank

I have some material I bought so that I could do the fuel pump on my Cat 12 Grader that is ethanol proof. I had to cut out about 5 pieces and stack them together. Had to use my old hard ware. It has been fine for several years. Dandy Dave!