Stutz?

Peter Gariepy

(recv. via email)

My name is Martin, I am trying to find out some information on this photo. The photo is of my grandparents and my mom is the young girl. I was told by my mom that the car is a 1928-1930 Stutz Straight 8 sedan. Please give me any information on this car.

Thanks

Marty

post-31494-143138042862_thumb.jpg

It's just a standard short wheelbase 5 passanger sedan. 134 1/2 inch wheelbase. It's probably a 1931 or early 1932 as they updated the belt molding a bit later on. There should be no "sport" in the body style designation. I find it amusing how these auction catalogues have to label everything a "sport coupe" or "business coupe." They always have to add some adjective to the body style even though the factory never did. Actually, looking at the photo closer, the car is not a DV-32, it doesn't have the cloisene emblems on the hubcaps. This car is an early 1931, before thay came out with the SV-16 (SOHC) & DV-32 (DOHC) designations. This car has a single overhead camshaft with dual ignition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Huston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is refreshing to see a picture of a pre war car when it was nearly new sporting 6 white wall tires. Proof that wide white wall tires were available and people to did use them back in the day. </div></div>

They were definitely available and used. Now, the question of how they look is a different issue :-).

Thanks for all the info on the car. My mother is about 4 years old i would think. She was born in 1929 so that would make the time frame of 1932--1934. I was prob taken at my grandfathers compound in either New Orleans Or Biloxi Ms,I would love to have a car like he had.. are they avilable today if so what would an unrestored Stutz cost. and does anyone know of any for sale.. Thanks Marty

There was an unrestored DV32 sedan for sale a few years ago for around 40k I believe. The issue was the 150k to 200k it would take to restore it. The sport sedan I mentioned was an older well worn restoration and the car sold for around 80k back in 2004 which I felt was a bit of a bargain at the time.

Martin,

You're right -- it's a pretty nice car that your grandfather used to have. The grandest classic car I've ever seen was a white 1931 Stutz DV-32 Victoria.

A number of Stutzes are listed for sale on PreWarCar.com . One is a 1928 8-Cyl., 7-Pass. Sedan in Australia for 39,200 British Pounds. Another is a 1929 Blackhawk 6-Cyl.in Holland for 28,500 Euros. There are some more listed, mostly open cars.