Paint jobs- What level-What cost?

RacerGuy

It's been years since I paid for a custom paint job. I know this is very subjective and varies by region. What is now considered a reasonable range to pay for a quality paint job? This would be frame-off media stripped and pre-primed with a minimum of prep work by the painter. No exotic finishes.

Thanks

Asking what a paint job costs is like asking "how long is a piece of string?". It depends. Rattle cans cost $2.79 each and are available in many colors. On the other hand the materials alone to do a base clear job over urethane primers and sealers will cost $1200-1500 just for the materials. Do you want the insides of the hood, fenders and trunk lid painted? Door jambs? interior trim? For a show quality job on most cars figure $12000-15000 plus materials.

Guest windjamer

I had a 49 merc. I wanted to paint it with rattle cans, local store sold them for less than a buck a can. Someone told me I did not need to mask it, just spread a thin layer of visaline over the chrome.BIG MISTAKE, you get what you pay for.

Guest Bluesky636

I did my own bodywork (as best as I could) and paint prep. I stripped everything off the body and primered my car in the garage with Duplicolor high build primer/filler. I sanded her a lot. I had MAACO paint her for $1000.00 (primer sealer and single stage urethane) which included under the hood and trunk lid and all the door jambs. Its not a show quality paint job as some of my bodywork flaws show through and there are flaws in the paint, but it is shiny!

Before:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/558688729dlkpec

After:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/558393245MKLxww

Consider MAACO or shop around. Most places won't do restoration type work. They roll their eyes - give them the accident work with gauranteed checks.

But I know the local MAACO guy and he does everything because they need the work. And it's good. It's not Earl Scheib-ish but you won't get the $10,000 quote either. Be practical.

What you are talking about is quality. Quality means: simply a level of satisfaction at a certain price. If you spend, say $3,000 on a paint job and get 90% of what a $5,000 paint job might cost - I would say get the $3,000 paint job because if the application is good, paint can be buffed.

Sometimes the extra cost only yields a very small percentage improvement in outcome. You decide - 400 point show stopper spare no expense? Or very nice paint job.

I'd say at this time you're in the driver's seat! Lots of people eager to earn some side money, so shop around carrying the $5K that Bob recommends for starters.

If you are going to a commercial shop where insurance money is their major source of income your car will probably sit in a corner someplace for quite a while. On the other hand, a custom or rod shop will get you in on a schedule and give you the kind of attention you deserve for all your hard work in prep.

I guess it all depends on what kind of result you want. In my opinion, you should go for the best you can afford. Your're going to be the one polishing it and standing beside it at a show or cruise-in, and you'll know where all the flaws are. Do you want to be proud of it or do you want to try and hide it? The painter you choose should consider the final result as a piece of "advertising" for his work - that's the kind of person you want doing the job. Get a couple of quotes and don't go cheap unless thats what you want it to look like.

Terry

Skyking.....you are soooo right! Body work and prep IS everything. I have seen some beautiful paint jobs peel from bad preparation. My 1931 Dodge is a good example. The previous owner had a friend in our local club paint the car. When I bought it, it was absolutely beautiful. Now there is a big (half dollar size) bubble on the rear top area. Othere areas are starting to erode. Poor prep work is the culprit.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skyking.....you are soooo right! Body work and prep IS everything. I have seen some beautiful paint jobs peel from bad preparation. My 1931 Dodge is a good example. The previous owner had a friend in our local club paint the car. When I bought it, it was absolutely beautiful. Now there is a big (half dollar size) bubble on the rear top area. Othere areas are starting to erode. Poor prep work is the culprit. </div></div>

My invoice from MAACO states "Bodywork and paint prep performed by owner. No warranty." Car was painted in 2005, last summer (2008) I had some problems on the trunk lid which was the worst of my prep. MAACO fixed it, I paid for it. But, they also fixed several other areas that were problems on the car from the original paint job and WERE their fault, at no charge. They did a complete power buff of the paint (no charge) that looks better than anything I was able to do. So I feel I came out even and maybe a little ahead.

jrbartlett...the area where the blister showed up is in the middle of my coupe roof (nowhere near the lead seams) just above the rear window. I have heard about the lead seam problems, though.

I will spray a car or truck for someone that has prepared it himself. I quote a price for spraying only.

No prep work or guarantee!

What I don't tell the customer is that there is an amount in there for about 2 hours of prep. time for the most glaring areas needing a little TLC.

Once I did a 46 Chevy coup that the owner wanted the paint to stick well, so he DA’ed it with 36 grit paper! For those that don’t know how rough it is, it is like honing out a cylinder with a wood rasp.

I sprayed it with a sanding/filling sealer and after a quick sanding it was surprisingly acceptable.

Guest AntarcticDave

I had my 47 stripped to bare metal and repainted in basecoat / clearcoat by a local Maaco into old cars this year. The body was in excellent shape, no rust, no bondo. The old lacquer was crazing though. They did all the trim removal, stripping, etc. They put 32 hours of body work in fixing any old waves and ripples. They painted the wheels and door jambs as well. I did not have them do the engine compartment or trunk as the old maroon paint was ok in those areas, and was not highly finished back in 47. They did a full color sand after the paint had cured. They use the classic cars as filler work between modern jobs. They had the car for about 8 months. All together I paid about $7,000 for everything. Here's a picture:

NOv_2008.JPG