'26 Sedan gas mileage (approx)?

Profyrfyter

I've got a quick question, do these cars get horrible gas mileage? I know I need a good tune-up and I have to adjust my valves but I drove my car around the block (right about a mile round trip) and the car burned around 1/2 gallon.

I'm just wonderin' if that's normal! smile.gif

Thanks,

Dave

Maybe you have a gas leak? I don't know exactly what gas mileage my car gets but the '29 was completely empty and I put a gallon of gas in the tank and drove it home which was just about ten miles with gas to spare. I'm curious to see what others have to say about their gas mileage.

Dan

Hmmmm, solder a container filled with highly flammable gas fumes? Sounds like a worthy challenge. I'll have to see what I can do! smile.gif

I never had the question answered about where the float is, I know there's a float in the vacuum chamber and there's on in the float chamber, are you referring to the one in the float chamber as the common problem?

Dave

Good thing I have one smile.gif I'll have to check that out. I may as well get a gasket set for it too. Are there any other parts I should get besides gaskets? What about needle valve/seat? I need a new return spring for the throttle lever but I know I can get one of those from Myer's

Guest DodgeKCL

Our old cars and trucks get ugly gas mileage compared to todays vehicles. The best you will ever get will be in the teens per gallon. Usually around the 15 mark. This of course is if your carb and lines have no leaks.

Originally the owners didn't worry if the carb had some fuel stains on it as it got older,gas was cheap,but today that could eat up quite a few miles per. I spent a lot of time sealing my carbs. Make sure the 2 mating surface are flat with a steel ruler. Carefully run them over a piece of fine sandpaper on a hard flat suraface to true them up and seal them with the RTV silicone rubber Mopar dealers sell for this job.

Make sure the 'idle air adjustment' makes an obvious change in engine revs as you turn it in and out. If it has no 'high' spot you need engine work as there is insufficient vacuum at the carb.

Also make sure the throttle shaft is tight in the carb. It can be shimmed with thin brass sheeting if it is too loose. With the throttle shaft letting air in around itself, you will have trouble setting the idle air screw. (I should have put this fault before the 'engine work' one.)

As the guys have said the brass float could be 'full' of gasoline and this will cause poor gas mileage as the engine is always running rich. 'Rich' means more gas and lousy mileage. The float is very easily soldered shut with and electronic pencil soldering iron. In fact solder was used to make it in the 1st place.