38 Special emblem

krw

I got my 38 as an all original car in 1967 and I have not touched the emblem. There was no paint in/ on it when I got the car. I have not done any thing to it to 'restore' it.

I will check it in the spring when we get out of the deep freeze here.... but you will probably have all the info you need by then.

I suspect the stamped plate is stainless, with the raised edges of the letters polished.

But, I always thought the inside areas of the letters were painted red. Goes nicely with the painted details on the trunk emblem and bumpers.

Jeff

Guest 1938McLaughlin

The pair of "SPECIAL" emblems I have are Stainless steel wrapped around a steel backing plate. Background color is painted the same light silver gray as the painted portion of the side vents.

Ed

I took one of my emblems's and 600 grit wet sandpaper and lightly tried to sand across the raised letters with the paper on a block to keep it uniform. In very little time the color changed to what looks like brass. I've spent many hours buffing my stanless trim so I'm pretty confident what I have is not stainless either brass or copper wrapped around a steel core like the nose emblem either way I think it will have to be platted. Thanks for all the input and if anyone else has any it would be welcomed. Ken

I gots me an Idea... Call the guy that was incharge of painting and detailing these things on the production line....Ohhhh... gee wiz...I guess he's no longer with us after 70 years. wink.gif

Could it be true that things sometimes would have changed though the production year? If the red paint was used up it could have been replaced with silver or white to keep the line moving. Also, could have different colors been used with different body colors??? I'm no expert, just my 2 cents worth. whistle.gif Paint never seems to stick well to crome, or stainless, and will almost inevitably peal and fall off. crazy.gif Dandy Dave!

We're working on a time machine as we speak. The operators manual, I'm told, has been finished. Testing of the machine will take place this weekend.

We totally understand that once we arrive in a designated year, we are not to mess with the changing of history. However, we are still dealing with the question of weather or not we can have limited conversations, or if we have to arrive completely stealth.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wayneMP

Hey guys, no sense letting this mix-up settle, I will stir it up again. I went back through a whole history of 37-38 Torque-tube magazines and came up with two descriptions for the Louver emblems. One described it as being silver as per the louvers with the raised portion of the letters being black, another description was red interior on letters with the raised serface being a polished chrome. In cleaning mine up I discovered that it is a brass stamped cover over a metal base. My car was not done all that carefully during the previous restoration and the Louvers were sloppily finished. So, I took my louvers out, dissassembled them, stripped off the paint, buffed and polished the stainless (came up beautifully)then painted the louvers with a metalic grey with a "hammer-finish". Re-assembled everything then took the "SPECIAL" emblem and painted the entire emblem with the same louver paint. Then I painted the interior of the letters red. Then I took a little liberty (please forgive me)and polished up the raised Brass portion to a nice shine and gave the whole thing three coats of clear finish......LOOKS GREAT!!!