Irene goes back to school

Rooster

Well I'm sitting around here on Christmas morning waiting for the hordes to descend when I thought I'd like to share with you an experience Irene and I had a few weeks ago.

My wife works a few hours a week at the local school caring for some disabled kids. They were studying " old times " when Jill spoke up said that we had some " old cars " and that she would see if I would take the 1929 down for the kids to look at. I've done this a few times before and although grumble at the time about it, I actually enjoy the experience especially the looks on the kids faces when they see a car that old.

But the '29 was out of action with a minor mechanical problem so I said to Irene ---

" C'mon, get your best gear on we're going out on the town "

When we got there and the kids came out all you could hear was " WOW "

They all had a turn at sitting in the front seat ( 4 across )

The picture of the boy behind the wheel is special. He sat there the whole time. He is wheelchair bound with a terminal illness ( Jill looks after him )

They asked me all sorts of questions especially about the fox tail on the radio antenna. The best question was

" why does it look so good for an old car " cool.gif

Check out the looks on the boys faces when I lifted the hood.

post-41457-143138029256_thumb.jpg

post-41457-14313802927_thumb.jpg

post-41457-143138029284_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really great pictures Ken. Can you duplicate them on the General Forum "Kid's Site?

Wayne </div></div>

Good job, Ken. Really great for you to share your cars with the kids.

Wayne, where do I find the "Kids'Site"? Would like to show it to my Grandson. He likes his "Tri-Shields".

Thanks, Jim

Guest imported_MrEarl

The expression on the lil guy's face in the blue shirt looking at the engine is priceless. Yea, definitely a candidate for the

<span style="font-size: 26pt">BUICKMAN AWARD</span>

Buickmancardedited.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> in the blue shirt </div></div>

Uh...Lamar...looks like a school uniform based on the number wearing the same colour shirt with logo... grin.gif Of course, that's 2 out of 3 under the hood, so one is eliminated.

Ken - good job...I almost hope to do something like that at our kids' school, but don't know where they could fit it in...I suppose I could chat with one of the teachers. Anyway, it was very good of you to participate with these youngsters.

Now, after I get through my usual reading, I'll need to seek out the AACA Kids site....

Guest imported_Rhinelander Rob

Great story and pictures! Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar story last year. My daughters class was studying the 1920's era, I was asked to bring the "24" to the local junior high school. A lot of curiosity and smiles that day too. We gotta keep these kids interested in the older stuff to.

Rob

When my oldest was in first or second grade, I was working on a 1911 Marion for a friend and took it to the school for a show and tell session while they were doing transportation studies. The children were very delighted to see such an early car, and it was also fun. smile.gif Dave!