New Packard Owner

Steve_Mack_CT

Well, some of you know I have posted here as a Packard fan, now an owner. This 1939 Packard 120 was acquired from another poster, Tom Lafferiere who is great to do business with. Plans include some cosmetic details, driving it a lot and maybe finish the interior down the road a bit.

post-50141-143138019125_thumb.jpg

Congrats! Looks like a great car! Is that Bronson Beige?

And of course here on this board, we like nothing more than to hear that the plan involves "driving it a lot." ;-)

Thanks guys. I believe the color is Havanna Beige, a correct color for the year and original to the car. Seats were rebuilt & reupholstered, but rest of interior is original in decent shape. Needs hubcaps and running board rubber.

West, those tires are barely broken in but I may replace anyway due to age - Like them both ways but I do think the WWW tires are more at home here then they are on an "A" for example. No plans for Trippe lights, though.

The car is so smooooth compared to my "A" - and admittedly it is nice not to need a running start for the hills around home...

Congrats Steve, very nice car, as Dave says they are great drivers, and many steps above the early 30's cars. By all means change the tires if they have any age on them, a tire at speed with no air on the inside can ruin your day. Some say to change tires every 5 years regardless of miles. I can attest to that on my trailer tires, at about 7 years I had two tires come apart. David Coco Winchester Va.

Guest 39Super8

Congratulations Steve! The car looks very nice. I just had a fantastic weekend of fun in our 39 at the Packards International regional meet in Lake Havasu Arizona this weekend. I am convinced the best part is driving them. I am sure you will really enjoy this car.

P.S. on the tires, bias ply tires are not nearly as age sensitive as radials. I would not trust a radial over 4 – 5 years old, where as I would trust a quality bias ply that was way older than that. That is only an opinion, and surely, you will receive many varied opinions on such a matter.

Congrats Steve,

You are gonna love driving that car - and I like the WWW on your car. As my long-time friend David Coco can attest, big Packards of that era are a ball to drive. His '38 Super 8 is one of those gorgeous cars that most-impressed me in my mis-spent youth (it was too long for my garage!). Just point that goddess of speed toward the horizon and immerse yourself in the splendor of a bygone era. That is the thrill we get when we go cruising in our 1930 Packard 733 7-Passenger Touring, or any of the other re-youth machines.

I agree that tire age should be considered, and that bias-ply tires will eventually separate, but not nearly as soon as radials. I've had my share of problems with both, and now am willing to spend the extra $$$ up-front to avoid missing out on tour-time and other adventures. I think that a significant number of "hard-luck" trophies should have been called "lack of preparation".

Get out and have a ball with your Packard. ...Marty

Yeah, one of the best comments, heard from a "civilian" at an antique car rally in Lafayette, La., many years ago. A father and son walked by my Packard, and he turned to his son, with great concentration and knowledge, and said, "Son, that's a Packard, the only European car ever manufactured in the United States." I was too dumbfounded to even smile. dc