28 Dodge tail light bucket

Durant Mike

Hello Dodge posters

I'm looking for a tail light bucket for a 27 or 28 Dodge. The one that had the bee hive style tail light. I have the chrome front and glass lense, but need the bucket. Does anybody know of someone that deals in old Dodge parts. My 28 Durant uses the same bucket for the tail light. screw on posts are 2" from center to center of bolts. Chrome front housing has two screws that mount to the bucket. Any help would be appreciated.

I also have a bucket you can have for free but it is in BAD shape, I mean really bad but it can be repaired, I was just recently holding over the garbage can but then I thought to myself that at one point I had a tailight bucket that was very nice but was missing the studs out of the back and I could not find them anywhere so I thought maybe someone someday could use this one, this bucket is the same bucket as pictured above, Filite if I remember right, check to see what you have as chocolite pointed out I dont think 27 used the same as 28. That sure is a pretty bucket keiser, it looks like original chrome, anyone that loves old cars knows what I mean, I wonder if originally they used a rivet to hold the faceplate on with the screw that you and I have, I do have a couple that seemed to originally have this rivet type fastner that held the face/gasket all together, its hard to tell what is behind your screw, any idea?

Yep. Here is one (without the license plate light hole) that goes on the passenger side and one for the driver's side that shows the factory rivets. The rivets hold the lens to the inner retainer and bezel and a small screw goes through that to hold it to the bucket tabs.

post-37352-14313801242_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138012422_thumb.jpg

Mike that tail light fits 29 - 33 Durants. Beehive fits 29 - 31 Dodge, 28 - 31 Plymouth, 28 - 31 Desoto, 1931 Chrysler 65. I don't have my box anymore as I gave it to Steve for his 60 but I thought it also covered Graham Paige.

There was something in DMAC about the 4 types of taillights but I can't seem to find it. Isn't your tail light different on the 28 to our later ones ?

There's a lad on Ebay who repo's the lense's in pairs with and with out Dodge name. Mike Butters in Cobourg Ont also claims to make the Durant ones but I can't seem to get one. The ebay lad also sells repo stainless pots but I can't say I like the funny doors. I think he has a pair at $200 complete.

I also need the pot, door, license lense for the 32 Durant.

Norm

I did purchase the lenses that you speak of on e-bay and was not overly impressed with the quality, not sure how they are done but one of them had a human hair stuck in the piece. Anyway just something to be aware of

Thanks Guys for the responce!

NearChocolatetown you are probably correct as it would not have the DB on top for sure. I was told by others that it was the same bucket as the 28 or 29, but the one Keiser 31 has shown is the same one that was supposedly used on the car. I know Durant often got his parts from suppliers of other companies (Except Ford). I know I have the original interior and exterior door handles, unfortunetly they are broken and in pieces but I have found out that they are the same ones used on the 1930 Chrysler Model 66. I appreciate the offer, but I would like to find one with a tag light lense in it if possible. My search will continue but thanks for the information I can rule out the 27-28 Dodge tail lights.

Hey Mike found it in DMAC Forum under .... Durant Tail light Question Sep 27, 06.

My error your 28 can have 5 or 6 different types taillight / lenses, I think. I had the 28 Chevy / Dodge type in my mind but that's just one kind. Don't know if you can use this Forum thing as gospel, as the beehive type on the 29 - 33 isn't in the 5 shown for D's.

I sure wish my 1935 parts catalogue to customers had shown a lot more pics of what they were flogging. All it has is a pic of a beehive like I was saying for later Durants / Frontenac's and one that looks Ford T. For some reason the thing says model 65 and 70 uses its own nickle plated lamp at $2.50 each. But 70 can have same as 63 black painted for $2.10 or same as 66, 70, 75 and 618 in chrome finish for $3.15. So it appears that 65 has its own tail light, what ever that was. 40, 60, 407, 614 etc can be painted or chromed beehive. That explains Steve's 60 as having the same as mine.

In photographs Zanin's 65 roadster has the Chev / Dodge elongated drum type for better words. Sids 65 touring shows the beehive type of the 30's and says its orig.

Don't you just love our cars and I still say the motto should have been "No two cars the same" not "A Good Car"

Yes I also got a pair of lenses from this fellow for the 32 .I just need something to put one in.

I think my pot should be chromed but the 614 had both painted and chromed. All doors chromed after 29. I assume its based on the headlights being the same. There doesn't seem to be much, if any literature, on the Canadian cars built by Dominion Motors after the failure of Durant Motors May 4 1931. I assume all the Canadian 31 / 32 Durant's had chrome lights front and back, and painted type was Durant Motors standard models. There is nothing cut and dried with Durant cars and you rarely find two the same.

As far as Mikes 28 model 65 it seems his should be beehive but larger lense and pot, based on DMAC members help. That would explain why the catalogue has that model car with tail light as different.

• 3 years later...
Guest fhirtzel

Hello,

Any chance you are still holding onto this tail light bucket with the Dodge lens in it? We added a second light and would love to have the second match the original. Thanks!

Guest fhirtzel

Hello,

Any chance you have a Dodge 1931 tail light still? I am looking for the one you have labeled DODGE 1928-31 TAIL LIGHT LENSE. I would love to match this to the existing tail light I have and would possibly be willing to buy two of them if you have them.

Thank you,

Forrest

Guest Dennis Gooch

Hi Forrest, We have now resumed making our Dodge Tail lights .. We make the Ones that are 3 1/2" Diam as there were two types used we do the smaller one and are copy of the Flilite .. We have these in stock We stopped making them for awhile because of the Earth quakes over here things got a bit trashed .. s.d.gooch@paradise.net.nz

Guest Dennis Gooch

!928-31 Dodge , Plymouth, Chrysler, Desoto, Durant, Graham Paige , and any vehicle that took these tail lights The tail lights we make are a copy of the Flilite and are made of brass no steel used except the stainless steel screws

Diameter across the front is 3 1/2" the lenght of the lamp is 2 1/2" assembled. the screws are at 2 1/16" centres and 1" long the lenses are Glass with Dodge in them and are from the original moulds of the period The license plate lense is acrylic plastic.. The lamp is Chromed . the thickness of the brass is 0.5mm .. the electric are 6volt but can be used in 12volt systems by changing the bulbs .. the bulbs are straight pin and not the off set type Price per pair including courier 5-6 days delivery $717.40 US and can be paid into our pay pal account...Kind regards Dennis email: s.d.gooch@paradise.net.nz I ony make a few sets at a time and a mainly hand done ..

There have been a few discussion threads about 1928-1931 Dodge tail lights. I see pictures of tail lights with the word "DODGE" and others without the "DODGE" word. So, my question is: Was the tail light with the "DODGE" word an after-market product or were there certain Dodge models that had the word "DODGE" and others that did not? In other words, which tail light glass came with the Dodge DA Victoria? Thanks! HB

The imprinted lenses were original....not aftermarket. The 1931 had the word "DODGE" imprinted on it for certain. I have seen 1929, 1930 and 1932 Dodges with the same lens, but have no idea about originality of those cars. Here is a factory photo of the 1931. Perhaps someone here has a copy of the DA or DD factory rear view photo.

post-37352-143139100876_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The imprinted lenses were original....not aftermarket. The 1931 had the word "DODGE" imprinted on it for certain. I have seen 1929, 1930 and 1932 Dodges with the same lens, but have no idea about originality of those cars. Here is a factory photo of the 1931. Perhaps someone here has a copy of the DA or DD factory rear view photo.

Now there is a good idea - an archive of factory photos.

There have been a few discussion threads about 1928-1931 Dodge tail lights. I see pictures of tail lights with the word "DODGE" and others without the "DODGE" word. So, my question is: Was the tail light with the "DODGE" word an after-market product or were there certain Dodge models that had the word "DODGE" and others that did not? In other words, which tail light glass came with the Dodge DA Victoria? Thanks! HB

I thought this was already answered, maybe it was another thread, the DA was just a plain lense