What would happen if......

MarkV

Guest aussie610

The safety police would kill them, but I would buy one.

Just think a brand new Cord 810/812 or and Auburn Speedster..

They'd make about 8 each, crash test and emission test them all, get them to pass (with GREAT difficulty), and then need next year's steel production to make any more. Of course the gas guzzler tax would make almost all of them unaffordable (not to mention unaffordable to run), so that would likely mean that 8 each is about enough of an annual production run for most of them.

It'll never happen so it's not worth speculating. However, if you want steel reproduction bodies they are available:

1957 Chevrolet: http://www.1957chevybody.com/

1968 Mustang: http://www.justsheetmetal.com/classic_body_MS68.asp

1932 Ford (coupes and convertibles): http://www.streetrodz.com/steel_bodies.htm

Any many others.

Most seemed to be used as a foundation for hotrods - but there is nothing stopping anyone from using them in a restoration project.

Guest Skyking

From what I see in RI, the Dodge Challenger is selling pretty good even though it is priced 10K over sticker and has a gas guzzle tax. People still have alot of money to spend.......Even some green people are buying them.

There used to be an outfit that made 1932 Chevy body parts that would fit on a 1967 Camaro frame. You could remove the Camaro body and fit the '32 Chevy Confederate roadster body and fenders in place.

Guest carlnut50

The 67 camero has a partial frame. It stops just short of the drivers seat. The rest of the car is unibody construction. Any special body would have to have a partial frame that would tie in to the Camero frame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There used to be an outfit that made 1932 Chevy body parts that would fit on a 1967 Camaro frame. You could remove the Camaro body and fit the '32 Chevy Confederate roadster body and fenders in place. </div></div>

That was from the intro to a 1967 comedy show. They transformed a new Camaro into a 1931 Chev. Not sure what show it was, maybe it will come to me. But I remember the go-go dancers tearing the car apart and putting it back together.

It was in a Hotrod magazine or antique auto magazine where I saw it. I realize the Camaro was a unibody, but they still did it somehow. I am certain that there were major modifications to the Camaro.

Guest simplyconnected

Many KIT CAR companies use modern parts. Usually, they give a choice of engines, and many are built on Mustang Fox front ends.

Any modern concept WILL be an adaptation of the prior model. Who wants vacuum wipers, no seat belts, and single-master cylinder's on a new car? Would you think they should come with bias-ply tires, and all-iron gas guzzling engines?

I'm sure the looks would change to accommodate air bags, padded dash, etc. But I would be first in line to buy a brand new 1955 Hudson.

55HudsonHornetSedan.jpg It's a great idea. Companies like GM and Ford would have NO problems with patent rights, manufacturing their prior models.

How about a Deuce Coupe, or a '55 Eldorado? 55Eldorado.jpg