1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

and these posts tell the STORY as to WHY pot metal is NOT something chrome shops like to see coming in their front door.

Truth being told, POT METAL is not a good base for chrome. Look at the NOS pieces that even in a wrapper away from the elements still develops pits.

I have seen pieces DIPPED, and nothing of value was left.

Dale in Indy

Ok guys, I've had this stuff sitting in my office closet for 5 years. It's one of those wonder products that I bought at a home show on my way back to our booth...

Weld-Aluminum.com:: Weld Aluminum With a Propane Torch!

I watched him repair a piece of pot metal, but I don't dare try it out on one of the Limited parts...I would need to find something on little value to practice on...PLUS I still need to get it stripped of chrome before I work on it.

I still think I'd rather just pay the guys to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok boys and girls...

We have a white top. The paint was surprisingly difficult to get. The PPG guy told me I was out of luck unless I had a part with the old paint on it that they could match. Since nothing but the top itself was white, I had nothing to give him. With the help of a v8buick board member, I was able to cross reference the code to a Spectramaster code from DuPont.

top_painted001.jpg

top_painted002.jpg

top_painted003.jpg

top_painted004.jpg

My oh my, She looks beautiful Adam! Is that with the clear coat on it as well? Man, you will need some pretty dark shades to look at your car, that is for sure:cool:! Question: Did you use a bench or step stool to get to the center of the roof for painting? Also, did you use a HVLP gun an did it help keep the overspray down? She is really looking nice. Can't wait to see the body color on it. WOW! Keep up the good work and the pictures..:)

Thanks! I've been itching to do this all week.

I guess I am just tall enough to reach the middle of the roof without help...but I found myself cheating my standing on the door sills on occasion. No HVLP gun...just a standard gun. The clear was so thick in the air, I could hardly see...

I'm still thinking about how I'm going to paint the body color. Whether I should paint the jambs first, then shoot the whole outer body at once (including the bolt on parts)..

I'm concerned about the paint not matching if I don't paint them all at once, with it being a metallic paint.

Adam, Nice job. Yeah, I know about the sill standing approach to painting the roof :). As for painting the car, yes, paint the jambs, inner trunk, package shelf, and inner fender lips and hood lips. Basically, paint all those areas that are not seen when everything is closed, but have to have body paint on them. Then install all the inner fender sheet metal. You will need to have that installed to attach the fenders. If all the bolt on sheet metal is primed, block out all the hang on stuff off the vehicle. It will be alot easier to get it done. I hung all the bolt on stuff before I primed the car, but I think you have it all primed first. Then block out the body. Then hang all the bolt on items and adjust all the gaps. You will have to be creative to mask the engine compartment and associated sheet metal but you will figure it out. I had very little overspray with the primer, and you will have no problem since you are painting the body color.

Once all the bolt on sheetmetal is on and adjusted, wipe it all down with wax and grease remover and you know the drill from there! Spray away! If you have access to an HVLP gun, I would highly recommend it. A lot less overspray and dust. As I am sure you are aware, the temp and humidity will have an affect on the paint, but since you have all the panels on the car, either way, they will all be the same color.

That's what I did. Maybe others have other ideas, but it worked for me! Good luck.

Guest 4 bufords

adam,what is the paint code or paint number for that white? my 57 super tag calls for dover white but looked like dirty white. bottom said hunter green but car looked lighter green.the inside of the trunk lid is more hunter green than the outside. will be a while before car gets painted. good luck with yours,4 bufords from ct

4 Bufords,

Go to www.TCPGlobal.com; Then click on "Auto Color Library" From there, you can get a color chart of your paint and they can match it perfectly to the original colors. I had a heck of a time getting anyone to match the "Dawn Gray" on my car. Every PPG and Ditzler color chart had a replacement color that said was a match but wasn't. That was a big problem for me prior to the repaint. TCP Matched the color exactly and they can mix it as a Lacquer, SS Urethane, Acrylic Enamel or Base Coat / Clear Coat for you. Highly recommend them.

By the way, my 57 is Dawn Gray on top half / Dover White on bottom. Good Luck!

Edited by 1957buickjim
update with more correct information (see edit history)

Guest 4 bufords

thanks for the information on the paint,will check out the website. was wondering what your gray color was,being a little color blind(some colors) its hard to tell light green from gray. car looks great,4 bufords from ct

Guest Rob McDonald

JIM, a semi-colon sneaked into that URL - it should be www.TCPGlobal.com Good site, although it's missing the "57 Spring Colors". Here they are, courtesy of TG57Roadmaster.

ADAM, I took another look at this site and, sure enough, they have the '58 colours, including the '57 spring colours. I thought Dusk Rose looked awfully familiar as a common finish for '58 Limiteds, usually with a white roof. Now, would that be Polar White or Glacier Mist?

post-59990-14313884517_thumb.jpg

4 bufords,

I had to get someone to cross-reference the number for me to a DuPont code, since the PPG guys told me I was out of luck unless I had a part with original paint still on it...which I did not.

The 1958 color is called Polar Mist, but the color that I ended up using is called Spectramaster Light Neutral. Code LS003

I am probably going to run into the same problem with the Blue mist lower body color.

Guest 4 bufords

thanks for the information guys, the super is the next car in line right now,hope to get a lot done within the next few months. good luck adam,im and mud,enoy reading all the posts,4 bufords from ct

Guest 4 bufords

thanks for all the information on the paint codes guys. be a while before the 57 super needs paint.going to get it down street for new doglegs and a couple of dents taken out of the passenger side doors.my buddy says if i get the paint,he will shoot it.good luck adam,jim,and mud on your proects.4 bufords from ct

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it appears that Spring has come early this year, and I am already slammed at work. I have also reignited my love for playing the trumpet. I've started playing in a jazz combo at the local university and am also playing in an event band, or jazz orchestra that plays weddings and corporate events. It's interesting, since I feel like I am playing better now than when I was in school for it.:cool: I've also managed to keep busy with stainless trim polishing for others' Buicks.

Back to the 58...

Half of the roof is buffed...I always forget how much fun it is to color sand and buff:rolleyes: I would've finished the driver's side today, but I have a friend's birthday party to attend.

top_painted008.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest Caribou
I just need to add brake fluid, a steering wheel, and a milk crate:cool:

I took mine up and down the driveway a couple times like that, it made me feel better.

I'm still picking up pieces of rust.

But hey, seeing what you've done here gives me hope.

Guest Rob McDonald

Uh oh, I'm seeing a familiar pattern here. Progress postings are getting sparse. Picking up other interests. Significant Other goes away for a while, allowing our correspondent to spend some time in the garage...

Before you know it, Adam, your future kids will be teenagers and you'll telling yourself, gee, maybe I can make some time now to work on the Buick again. Been there, done that and got old in the mean time.

Don't sweat it though; rust DOES sleep.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Rear drivers side door ...this is the only door that I couldn't salvage off the parts car last Winter, so I drug it up the stairs today and gutted it. Found a bunch of rust. Started to repair today, ran out of time tonight. Time for some beers with the neighbors.

door_rust001.jpg

door_rust002.jpg

Adam, that sounds like a good plan. Do some work on the car, drink some beers with buds..the other way could be a recipe for disaster..don't ask me how I know about that.

Filling holes...rear left door is done with rust repair. I only needed 6 pieces to make this one solid again. The lower jamb was pretty bad on this door. Then there was the front corner...

Not a perfect repair, but only a small amount of filler needed to smooth the joint.

lr_door001.jpg

lr_door002.jpg

I pulled out the other rear door this evening, and it is worse than this one. I then pulled out the one from the black parts car, and it is much more solid....still one spot in the front lower jamb that has to be patched, but better than open heart surgery like this door. I will have to drill new holes for the Limited trim and weld the Super trim holes shut on this door.

I finished gutting all 7 doors from both cars today. The doors from the Super didn't have really any rot in them with the exception of one door in the lower jamb. No skin rot. I am going to try to get them glass beaded this week sometime. I just don't have the energy or interest in stripping them myself, especially the jambs. Ugh.

Here are the dead doors that came off the Limited. Off to the scrap pile they go!

dead_doors.jpg

Here are the good/patched doors ready to go to the blaster.

ready_for_blasting.jpg

I started cutting on the trunk lid this evening, but didn't get very far before I had to wind down for the night...I really dislike Sunday nights.

The entire inner lip is completely gone, but the outer skin is reasonably nice. I cut off the lower section of a 57 Roadmaster lid 2 years ago to graft it onto the Limited trunk. This should be an interesting repair.

I've already cut off an inch of the Limited trunk, so there is no turning back now!

trunk_rust001.jpg

trunk_rust002.jpg

trunk_rust003.jpg

trunk_rust004.jpg

Doors are at the blaster. I will hear from him tomorrow on what he wants to do regarding stripping them. He is very aware of the problems associated with sandblasting sheet metal, and will either use glass or plastic. I want to see what he will charge to epoxy prime them, as well...so I don't have to do it.

Guest Rob McDonald

More fine work from a guy who's not afraid to tackle anything. I take it back - you weren't stalled at all. You just took a breath, then dove back in.

Adam,

I don't envy what your are undertaking on these doors..this is the thankless job that no one notices but you, 98% of the time. But you are doing it justice..keep up the good work my man!!