1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

Guest imported_56BuickSuper

If there is that much dirt under the side you are going to be working on next, it should be clean under there when you are done.

Nice work, please keep the updates comming.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smartin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schwing!!

front_panels.jpg </div></div>

Now there's some real inspiration. Nicely done!

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, it depresses me...I had high hopes for getting some stuff done for the '29 this winter...of course, we probably have another month of winter up here, but absolutely nothing has happened.

Adam is something of an inspiration...just hasn't quite overcome my laziness factor yet though.

Guest cardinal905

Great work Adam, glad you are staying with this project. As previously stated, you are an inspiration to guys like me who have a rust bucket sitting--just waiting to be spiffed up. In Heaven there will be a special club for restorers ! I did not hear an answer to your earlier question about the body bolts, looks like you will be tackling that issue soon and wondered if you had it figured out (I assume I will need this answer as well)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Adam,

Having been laid up for the last three weeks and not seeing you post your progress for a while I need a 58 Buick fix! Hope the quiet is because you are busy at work and not because of lack of funds or desire to get at the car. As stated by others your ability to work on the Limited and the fact I have two also are a great inspiration for me as my stable of 58's all need work of some kind too plus makes me want to get started again. With the kids finally looking like they are on there own I took a leap and bought a mig welder with the knowledge my lack of knowing how to do bodywork is going to be a long learning curve. Wish you were not so far away that I could come over and volunteer to help with your car in hopes to learn this trade.

Being really new to this posting this I will try to post a picture of my car which I received from my Dad back in 1971.

post-36036-143138052193_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photo! The 58's look great.

I've been very busy with work for the most part, not much time for anything else right now. The car is ready to have a new front pass floor and rocker panel. Then it will be very close to coming off the frame. I will need to unhook some cables and lines, but that should be it.

Does anyone know how to remove the front and rear glass in these cars?

Guest morje58

Hi Smartin

Just join this group.

Will just let you know I think you are doing a nice work on the Limited.

The front and rear windshield are just sitting in a rubber seal.

I am also doing a frame off on my 1958 Super 4 door

Please take a look on

www.picasaweb.google.com/morje58

Morten

DENMARK

1958 Buick Super 4 Door Riviera

1958 Buick Super 2 Door Riviera

Morten, thanks for sharing your project! I have seen some photos of your project when I search for photos of 58's on Google.

Today, I took a stick of dynamite to the car. Some parts came off without a struggle, others...didn't.

Ya think the radiator had a leak? I hope my guy can at least use the tanks to recore it.

old_radiator.jpg

I talked to a glass guy a few days ago, and he gave me some pointers on how the front and rear windows come out. So...I took the plunge and went for it. The front windshield was already cracked, so I did it first to get an idea of how exactly they are installed. Of course, I made a mess of it. The garbage man now owns it. It's only $500, right?

old_windshield.jpg

I cut the rubber gasket out around the outside of the rear window, and it came out pretty easily. Thank God..

rear_window.jpg

Question 1: Is this insulation in the balancer pulley supposed to be there??

balancer_insulation.jpg

Question 2: What is the AC box made of? It appears to be some sort of plastic/styrofoam/crap. I will need to figure out how to repair it, since it's nicked up pretty good.

ac_box.jpg

Question 3: Are all heater boxes covered in this worthless fiberglass insulation shell??

heater_box.jpg

Adam; I enjoy following your project immensely. Wish i had your skills to do the same. Quick reply on your questions. Yes to all 3. Pulley insulator was to cut down noise up front. Somewhere I have the service bulletin on that. Foam stuff on heater and evaporator cores was used on factory AC. The 5 58 Limiteds I've owned or diassembled over the years let me see some of the differences. Maybe that spray foam in a can used for insulating around home electrical boxes could be creatively used as a patch. Factory AC cars used a different voltage regulator and had a housing on the rear of the generator. A cloth covered wire duct ran forward and attached to the firewall to allow air to cool the generator. Hopefully your car still has these pieces. Keep up the postings!!

Adam,

The "AC Box" (BAI Case - Blower Air Inlet ) is made of fiberglass. Anybody that worked in the area where these were molded and trimmed had to have a yearly medical check up. I can't help you too much more since I did not work in this particular area. If you did not work there you stayed away because you would itch like crazy, especially in the summer. The air was white because of all of the grinding and trimming.

stevo

Guest 50bomb

cool car..They should be able to reuse that tank to recore your radiator..My 50 buick radiator core was real bad but they kept the frame and tank and just recored it..love those Fifty eights..

Guest Scott Roberts

Adam just so you don't feel alone, here are some pictures of our 58 in the process. We have been rebuilding our parts as we remove them, for the most part and boxing them up till it's all done. You have my simpithey on the two car garage. Ours filled a four car garage pretty quickly. Most larger parts had to go in the shed for work room. keep up the good work!!!!

post-56352-143138056372_thumb.jpg

post-56352-143138056376_thumb.jpg

post-56352-14313805638_thumb.jpg

Hello Adam,

I have been getting up and around some and was able to get out to one of my garages with anticipation of working on my 58's soon. While looking up in the rafters I saw what I believe is a front and rear used windshield for a Roadmaster 4dr. The gaskets (most likely used) appears to be on them and right now cannot say what the overall condition it is in. If I recall correctly it was in a truck load of Buick parts I purchased many years ago from an older gentleman that had sold his Roadmaster and not the parts for some reason. My question to you is: knowing you pulled out your front windsheild in pieces do you have another to replace it? If not does anyone know if the Roadmaster 4dr and Limited 4dr are the same? Of course I would have to get it down and measure for you to make sure it is what would work and also be sure it is not scratched to be worth the effort to anyone. Let me know and I will dig into this further. Doug

Well, not sure if you mean shipping nightmare because of being in Canada or the cost because of the bulk but let me see what the condition it is in first before I look into what would be involved. With living on the Border and going over to Michigan frequently I have had varied experiences with Customs on both sides but usually OK when dealing with antique car parts. Shipping I'm not too familiar with.

First let me get a good look at the windshield and try to send you a picture with an honest description to see if it would be worth it for you. Will try to get to that this weekend. This is just extra parts for me right now as I have another 2dr Limited parts cars that will donate its windshield for my Roadmaster convert when I get to that one and would rather see this put to good use if it all works out. Will dig a little bit deeper and lets see.

Who knows, maybe a weekend trip to St. Louis, hmmmmm...

Matt, yes thanks for the confirmation too. Now, tommorrow I hope to get the windshield down and get a picture to Adam. Will put a tape measure on it in the photo measuring from side to side and top to bottom. Would anyone know what those numbers should be since I have both the front and back windows and would not want to mislead anyone. I'm assuming that the front is taller than the back one and would feel better if the parts and my Limiteds were in the same spot to compare but with just getting on my feet again can only push so much. I could try to measure my parts car but not sure it would be accurate with it still in the car. First things first though will give them a good cleaning / inspection to ensure the value of a used windshield as I have not looked at it in about 20 years.

Found my notes on the parts collected and the story was the man saved extra parts for his Roadmaster (from his Uncle) but sold the car to someone who didn't want the parts. Go figure. Why I don't have a name to see if he was a BCA member can't say but it was near Flint in 1986. I had a Chev pickup then and literaly had to build up the side of the box to keep it all in. When I came to the bridge to Canada you should have seen the Customs guy. With only a bill of sale and some pictures of my cars to prove it was for my hobby and not a business he tried to peak under the tarp and finally said go on, get out of here. That was then and not sure how it will go today but nothing ventured nothing gained right? Any thoughts appreciated, Doug.

I don't have the numbers, but the front w/s will be a little taller than the back glass, and would have the tint band across the top. Also, it is two-piece laminated safety glass, whereas the rear glass is a one piece tempered. Too bad, because rear glasses are much easier to ship than windshields, they are much tougher. As long as the RM wasn't a coupe/conv, it'll be the same.

Have fun!

Matt

Good Day,

OK, spent the afternoon digging out the windshield and here is what I have found:

1- Definately is for the bigger series Buicks as it is wider than my Special.

2- Checked the height (measurement) and compared it to my Limited 2 door and comes out the same at 18 1/2 inches (measured between gasket edge to gasket edge) as this used windshield has the original gasket on it.

3- While it is a used w/s there are a few issues I need to point out. There are a few "wiper marks" which are common at the curved part but not near as bad as on my Special. Have heard the light scratches can be polished out but no experience there. These are near the top of the glass. There are also about five small nicks (stone chips) in the glass. Nothing that is at a point where they are starred or looking like they would run but I want to be honest about condition. There are no signs of foxing or delamination and looks clear throughout otherwise.

With having the gasket still on the glass I'm going to say that the edges would not be nicked as it was taped in place and is in surprising good shape and I don't recall having done that.

I tried to post a picture but having difficulty right now. Will go back and review the procedure after I post this in hopes what I show will help. Let me know how you feel about this, Doug.

Thanks for checking it out Doug...

You say it's the same height as the one on your Limited coupe, but are you sure this windshield is from a 4 door?

I'm very interested as long as it's not a major inconvenience to get it here (for either of us!).

I think the chips and the wiper marks can be repaired without much problem. I know the glass companies around town can repair chips easily.

Good Morning,

The 40 dollar question; is this indeed a w/s from a 4dr? I have only what I was told to go on right now. Will try and talk to a couple of the glass companies here today to get more info.

Never really noticed the 4drs having a higher roof line but it could be just enough to explain why 2 doors have greater appeal to the public (not that I would mind adding one to my collection some day).

One step at a time right? Just goes to show your never too late to learn something.

What is curious to me is that even though it is wider than the Special it measures the same height which for the moment makes me tend to believe it came from a 2 door. Will dig a little deeper to make sure.

post-36036-14313805791_thumb.jpg

Another thought before I get off to work, does anyone have a 1958 BUICK "4 door" Super, Roadmaster or Limited that would be willing to measure their w/s in the middle from the top to bottom, gasket edge to gasket edge to help identify my windshield?

I no longer have my 58 4 door, but just judging from the photo, that w/s looks taller than the one in the conv. Without a positive measure, it looks right, but you might want to wait until someone with a 4 door chimes in. I do have a 58 Sedan deVille that I can measure, they might be the same w/s as the LTD 4 door.

Matt

dei, just thought of something. I measured the one in my 58 Sedan deVille, and in the center of the glass, just measuring the glass from the upper inside edge of the rubber seal to the lower inside edge of the rubber seal (measuring just the glass, not the seal), it is 21" even. Put a tape measure on yours, and if it is 21", it should be for a 4 door.

Adam, we'll get you an original glass yet!

Matt

Adam,

Well after a couple of calls (with no luck speaking to the young guys about old cars) it isn`t looking like I have what you need. Matt`s measurement on his Cadillac 4dr (which I`m sure Buick shared windshields and side vents) makes me believe mine is from a `2dr` Roadmaster. Darn, and after I planted the seed with the wife to go on a long weekend (mostly for cars of course)! Will just have to keep my (our) ears and eyes open to see what comes up.

At the very least this has been a great inspiration to get back at some of the things my cars need if I want to be out on the road with confidence this season. Just need another couple of weeks to say the snow is done for this year!

Man, Adam, is that car fighting back or what? What a bummer about the back glass. My LTD I sold to Lamar had a perfect back glass and I bet he still has it. It'd be worth a call. If that doesn't pan out, I do remember a white LTD 4 door in a salvage yard that Bad Boattail from the Netherlands took a photo of on his cross country trip. I believe it was in AZ, but I'll have to dig back through his photos to find it.

Matt

Geez Adam, I thought I was the only one with that kind of luck! Two steps forward and one step back! Wow!

Now, having a back window also, does knowing my front is from a 2 dr can you guys tell me if there is a difference between back windows for a 2dr and 4dr? (here we go again)

Guess I'm really looking for an excuse to go on a road trip, ha ha.

Here is a photo of my Limited before I pulled the front clip in order to do the rustwork and rebuild the trany. With the car still apart and seeing what you are doing Adam, this effort has given me the spark to want to finish my car.

Hopefully this will be of some help. I used Pilkington Classics when I replaced the windshield to my '57 Century a few years back. While it wasn't inexpensive (what is for these cars), it was a perfect duplicate of the original down to the L-O-F logo. Give them a call at 1-800-848-1351. They can even have the date code etched in. Good Luck Adam!

Matt, I inquired about the trunk lid on that white car, and he wanted $500 plus shipping. I politely declined...I would imagine it's the same story with the glass.

This car has been fighting back since I bought it! I'll keep plugging away, though.

Thanks for the lead, Dominic!

Doug, if I had to guess, the back glass is different from the 2 door as well...but I'm no expert.

Adam, I'm guessing with regard to the back glass and what worked out with the front, till I know more will assume I have the wrong one for your car.

With regard to the experiences on saving your LTD, good or bad, by sharing what you have to deal with is of great information to us as the professional shops rarely go into detail what they come across or have to overcome. You are providing a service to a novice that while willing to dive into a restoration, not having ever experience what is totally involved, should help him decide a bit better what he could be getting into before becoming so discouraged that the project would stop or be sold off and potentially losing another car buff.

In the end I'm sure you stand back and say to yourself with pride, yes that was tough but I did it. Keep up the good work and look forward to your progress.