Show us your sweepspears

Guest BJM

I had a thought, wouldn't it be cool to see photos of members cars int he sweepspear period. I count this as the stainless steel trim piece added to Buicks from 1949 (on limited release) through 1958.

I don't have a car with a sweepspear but I have taken photos over the years and will dig one up tonight and add.

Show us your sweepspears!

In my opinion, the sweep spear started with the 1942 2 door models with the flow through of the front fender to the back fender. There was no stainless to highlight the sweepspear but it was there in style. This was true with the sedanettes and convertibles in the Super and Roadmaster series. In 1946 they did the same with the Super and Roadmaster four door models.

stevo

Guest imported_MrEarl

Great idea for a thread Jake. Of course I am partial to the 54-56 years

You're right Serb, the body lines were there before the chrome. the chrome just accentuated them. And you might say that it continues today with the new Invicta.

19b7c348.jpg

But I think the true "Spear" is what Jake is looking for and if so I will add some images later.

Grrr, I'll fix the too big picture later,

hi ho hi ho it's off to work i go

You can find evidence of the sweepspear in a lot of the body stamping. The Rivs also had sweepspears in the late 60's and early 70's. I personally had a '70 Riv and the sweepspear was actually an option. I never thought the ones without it looked right.

stevo

Guest imported_MrEarl

I've always loved that car Keith. I bet you miss it. Do you know where it is?

Here's some of my sweepspears...

be361b98.jpg

DoraB in the rear view mirror

c32940f9.jpg

Buttercup

85a0814c.jpg

Marilyn, gone but still see her sometime

2668a582.jpg

Dakota

aba9d67e.jpg

Irene, gone down under

eb65e72b.jpg

Sugar Magnolia

edad2892.jpg

Fifty-six

2ea7ee58.jpg

Blue Belle

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

Perhaps someone will take the grand opportunity to take pictures of the likely hundreds of sweepspears in Flint this week. Puleeeaaaasssssseeee

That 53 was an interesting year, it ends before the wheelwell with a deeper, thicker spear.

Adam,

The 71-73 spears are great, how Buick integrated them into the modern era.

Guest imported_Thriller

It isn't pretty, but here's a '52 Roadmaster.

52RM_passenger2.jpg

Also not pretty, the '56 Special I'm trying to eliminate from the fleet.

20070714_56home7.jpg

There's a prettier surprise sweepspear, but I haven't been able to take a good photo yet...stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

OK here ya go, you asked to see our sweepspears....Stopped by the local tattoo shop "Pain and Wonder" today and got my new sweepspear. laugh.gif

Still kinda red around the edges...

100_6208.jpg

Oh boy, I totally forgot that I had taken some pics to add to this thread, although I have to admit the forearm tatoo is probably the one that's most committed to sweepspears.

Anyway, here's my offering:

post-32834-143137998153_thumb.jpg

post-32834-143137998157_thumb.jpg

post-32834-143137998161_thumb.jpg

post-32834-143137998165_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can find evidence of the sweepspear in a lot of the body stamping. The Rivs also had sweepspears in the late 60's and early 70's. I personally had a '70 Riv and the sweepspear was actually an option. I never thought the ones without it looked right.

stevo </div></div>

A couple shots of my '70 Riv. Stevo is right, the '70 Riv does not look as nice without the sweepspear in my opinion...

100_1065.jpg

100_1058.jpg

Guest 53Bob76R

Sorry to admit it, but this thread made me reallize I need to take more pictures of my 53 Roadmaster. Here are the sweepspears on the car prior to putting on the new wide whites. Not too many of these cars still wearing their original paint and interior, but you are looking at one here.

post-52745-143138001077_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 53Bob76R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to admit it, but this thread made me reallize I need to take more pictures of my 53 Roadmaster. Here are the sweepspears on the car prior to putting on the new wide whites. Not too many of these cars still wearing their original paint and interior, but you are looking at one here.

</div></div>

WOW, look at that 53 Roadmaster sportin those AC scoops and all. PLEASE post more pictures of this sweet car in the Me and My Buick forum. I would love to see more of that thin original paint and scratches from day one!!!! laugh.gif

oh, and that 67 Electra ain't none too shabby either smile.gif

Guest 53Bob76R

Thanks Lamar. It is nice to hear the compliment. So many people see the car as I drive it and always ask "Are you going to fix it up?". Still hope to get to an AACA meet for HPOF.