What product to use on Cast Exhaust manifolds

JohnD1956

Can anyone recommend a product or process to use on the cast iron exhaust manifolds. I don't want them to stand out, I just want them to look better than rusty metal for a car that will be used more than just for cruise in's, but not daily driving.

post-32834-143137977789_thumb.jpg

John:

I've had excellent results using plain old stove polish. There is a petrolum based one well as a water based product. I can only vouge for the petrolum based one as that is what I used. It lasts a long time at engine temperatures, and if it needs to be spruced up, just apply more with a rag or brush before you show the car. I purchased mine at the local hardware store.

Tom

Guest imported_Matt M, PA

Calyx is like a paste. I used to use it, but grew tired of it getting all over me when working around the car.

I started using the Hirsch manifold "paint". Works great, lasts well...you just need to blast of otherwise clean the manifold first. For what it's worth, I use the version that brushes on.

Guest martylum

Over the years I've tried various spray on manifold paint with temp ratings from 800 degrees up and none seemed to last a very long time under regular driving operation. This is with an application on a carefully glass beaded manifold set and a primer if recommended.

I'd go for a ceramic coating if you want a long-lasting finish.Various vendors advertise this service in various colors including a raw casting color. It's more costly than the home painted approach but well worth it if you want a permanent finish.

Just had a 36 Lincoln's manifolds recoated in the same black ceramic coating they were done with originally and they seem to be holdng up very nicely. the original 1936 coating was almost entirely intact after 70,000 miles but had changed to a greenish color from the original black.

Martin Lum

I can tell you what didn't work so good. I tried POR 15 manifold restoration kit. Did EXACTLY as instructed. The stuff blistered and peeled off in little time. I ended up having to pull the manifolds and rebead blast to get the stuff off. They refunded my money but I was still pretty unhappy.......Bob

I've used Jet-Hot in the past on a variety of applications. Their ceramic coatings are permanent, indestructible and they have a cast-iron gray that looks very authentic. I'm going to have the Century's exhaust manifolds done by them as soon as I have the cracks repaired. Expensive, but you'll never have to touch them again and they'll always look new, plus there is some insulation value to protect against heat soak as well.

www.jet-hot.com

(Not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer).