"Hey, it's a Packard!"

1935Packard

I've only had my Packard for about 2 months, but I've often been surprised by how many people recognize the car as a Packard. I'll be driving around my neighborhood and will be stopped at a light, and someone will see the car and say something like, "Hey, it's a Packard!"

Sometimes people who recognize the cars are older and remember them from when they were on the road. But other people are much younger, born longer after the cars had stopped being made. It's pretty impressive, I think, that 50 years after the cars were made they're still immediately recognizable to a lot of people.

Anyway, you all probably knew this already, but it surprised me.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1935Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've often been surprised by how many people recognize the car as a Packard. </div></div>

Not True, here in Texas.

People ask: "What kinda car is that?" I say "A Packard".

They will stare at me a little while, then after I repeat the name, they will ask "Who made it, GM or Ford?" laugh.gif

Some do and some don't.

Some of those who do:

Have been followed, to tell me of the Packard/s they had in the past.

And been told by an elderly couple a few weeks ago that back in 1954 in London their wedding cars were '38 Packards!

While those who don't, have said:

My uncle had a Buick just like yours and he'd take us for a ride every Sunday.

My dad had a Humber Super Snipe like that years ago.

My mate had a Dodge just like that.

Whatever the response, I think it's all positive as it shows that people are interested. And I always take the time to stop and talk with them. It's a pleasure for me and reinforces their memories.

I've been asked mostly of my 32 if it is a Rolls or even a Duesenberg. I do kid my friend who owns a Rolls and say I'ven beem insulted. Sopmeone called my car a Rolls again. I did have one unique one. A lady asked me if it was a Bently. I replied it's a Packard. see it's on the hupcaps. She replied that she thought Packard was a European company and that's why shee thought it was a Bently:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 51Patty400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Who makes Packard?" and I answer "Packard"

I love the little blank stares they give me back ;-)

- Mark </div></div>

Yup Thats the best one. I get that all the time, although it is infrequent because there is very little that I can go into the local NAPA store and ask about, maybe plugs and that's about it.

Guest 1926pack

Funny you should bring this up. I have a 26 Packard Club Sedan which lives in Astoria, Queens. Every now and then I take her out for a drive, sometimes along Route 25A when visiting family and friends on LI. When I pass through certain neighborhoods, what the locals call the "homeboy" neighborhoods, they all stop on the street, come tumbling our of the stores, whatever, all cheering and yelling "Hey, thats a Packard, right?" Some even get pretty close to guessing the year (although I think the 1926 license plates is a bit of a hint).

There is an amazing "Tuner" culture out there but its nice to see that they know their car history. And they get a kick out of my "old DEETROIT iron".

There's a great exchange we have all sat through--I remember many nights at the museum I used to work at, a guest at a party would look at a '38 Packard 12 or other BIG car and say "my Father (Uncle, Grandpa, Neighbor, etc) had one <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">JUST LIKE THIS</span></span>!" I would be interested, and inquire about the car, and the layers would be peeled off. "Well, It wasn't a convertible like this, but it had four doors like this. It wasn't two-tone red like this, it was black. What kind of car is this? Packard?--Oh no, he had a Ford. But it was <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">JUST LIKE THIS</span></span>!"

I love to go to the local car shows and cruise nights as there is usually someone, especially among the older gents and ladies, with an interesting story about Packards. The men usually want to see the dash and engine and the women look longingly at the huge back seat... hmmm :-) The kids come to look under the hood and "OOH" and "AAH" at their first sight of a huge inline eight. It's great to be a Packard owner even if there are times when I get the "Who made Packard." question. It's just another opportunity for me to give a history lesson.

Mr. Pushbutton, At my age I think that attracting old men is the better option!

A few years ago while sitting at a stoplight in my Mercedes 450SL a couple of nubile young women walked past and one smiled appreciatively at the car and said to me "Nice car grandpa." 'nuff said. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clipper47--looking at them is like looking at a Duesenberg at a Concours event--nice to look at, and you know you'll never have it! </div></div>

Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed.

Charles Shultz

My friend who has teenish kids in his unimmediate family who think that that the Japs are basically the ones responsible for cars as we know them. I guess it's like talking to little kids asking what did people watch during the Civil War, not really knowing that TV has not been perpetual throughout history.

nono2.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ChrisSummers

In high school a friend got angry at me when I tried to tell her that the car her grandfather owned was a PACKARD, not a PACKER.

Finally our car guy science teacher pulled out the copy of Hemmings in his office and she believed us.