Cadillac V-8 '32 All Weather Phaeton

Have been busy with all kind of small jobs, taking a lot of time, hardly worth picturing, not a lot to see.

The current status is visible in a few images attached. Rear fenders on as well as taillligths with indicator bulb inside.

Running board rubber took a lot of sweat to get right, all loose parts made after the remaining original mat, had to be fit and glued together. In the end

I'm satisfied with the result. Thanks to my Feinn saw and Dremel as well. Interor is also nearing completion as the picture

shows. regards Johan

post-40373-14313841735_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138417353_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138417355_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138417357_thumb.jpg

post-40373-14313841736_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ongoing status of the '32, making the SS moulds for the top took a lot of time and thinking, I'm very happy with the result.

Wheel with beauty rim, hub cap and V-8 emblem, all 6 of them done.

Detail of hood chrome and rubber end leaning

towards the fit and adjusting of the hood as the next step. Johan

post-40373-143138472576_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138472578_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138472581_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138472584_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sharp eye and a legit question.

Knowing my aim for Authenticity, I would have been surprised, if this question hadn't come up.

'32 shells are made of thin hard metal from new, as it turned out,

Most people ever undertaking a restoration of any kind, must feel the need to have the shell chromed as one of the first things to do. This '32 is no exception.

The result I suggest, the existing shell on the car so thin, it almost imploded.

After finding and buying a second one, a bit better, but also in a condition way less then wished for, after repair and reinforcements being carried out, the chrome plater managed to sand it to destruction.

Despite my explicite demand, to only acid copper the shell, this, to get some materal thickness being able to polish the shell and in the meantime not to though the thin metal shell at all.

The plater had decided to do otherwise without consulting me, only presented a holed shell. I spare you the details of this conversation.

Not wanting to wait for a third shell to be found and chrome plated, this could well take several month's,

I decided to paint the first shell, being the only one in a paintable condition after filler and repair.

This black shell, could perhaps have been ordered late '32, but it isn't as it should be and this shell is temporarely.

As a bonus, I will be able to drive this car this summer, I must add, I kind of like the black shell as well.

Johan

Matthew,

Thank you for your reply and pointing me towards this spray chrome.

Next to chrome plating on the cars headlamps, grille, bumper and a few small items, the difference with spray chrome is too much. I have tried a few parts,

for other use, with professional spray chrome, to find out how it stands up,

the finish is certainly acceptable, but the quality we get in the Netherlands is too far off.

Besides that the chrome paint we get is easier damaged, leaving chips and scratches.

Will have to follow the chrome plating road . Thanks again Johan

Despite my explicite demand, to only acid copper the shell, this, to get some materal thickness being able to polish the shell and in the meantime not to though the thin metal shell at all.

The plater had decided to do otherwise without consulting me, only presented a holed shell. I spare you the details of this conversation

I can just imagine that conversation, I assume a new plater will handle the final one! Actually the black shell looks nice, shows off the emblem and cap nicely. Glad you are close to driving it!

• 1 month later...

I like the black radiator shell............It could probably have been specified in '32.............Johan you should do some research and find out if painted shells were ordered or available in'32..........I have a "28 Lincoln with a painted shell...............It was original to the car........again you do fantastic work!.......

• 2 weeks later...