Status of '29 645 Sport Coupe Restoration Project

Guest Speedster

Guest imported_Speedster

I put in some Antifreeze yesterday and have Not seen any water in drip-pan today, So Maybe I've fixed the problem.

Of course the antifreeze may All still be in the radiator and not gotten in to the head yet, without running the engine to mix it up?

I once had an engine block freeze and crack in a '47 Caddy, because I put antifreeze in the radiator and didn't start the engine to mix it properly, since the battery was dead. That was back in the late '50s when we had Really Cold winters here and 'I didn't Know any Better'.

Guest imported_Speedster

I went out to check the Drip-pan this morning, like I've been doing every day, and found a Lot of Water in it ???

But then I looked under the car and everything was dripping water. Over night we had a lot of fog and condensation, so Everything was dripping Wet.

Mother Nature sure Likes to Play Tricks, doesn't she! smirk.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

I wanted to be able to pour antifreeze directly into the engine (instead of the radiator), so I put a pipe tee in the hose that goes between top of engine head and the heater. That way I can remove the plug I put in top end of the tee, and pour it directly into head, using a funnel.

Since it's getting very close to freezing weather here, now. smirk.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

I was getting a sore neck from Sanding and Painting on small delicate model-ship parts. So thought I'd try to find something I could do on the '29 Coupe, but the only thing I can do inside the house is Sanding and Varnishing of delicate Window-moldings. smirk.gif

I need to find something to do that needs a Big Hammer! laugh.gif LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Speedster

After Draining for about TWO WEEKS, I think all the Muddy Oil has finally dripped out, enough to put some oil back in it. If we get some good weather, I'll try to do that, since I think I've fixed the Leak.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Speedster

WOW, It is 85 Degrees in the Sun, here today !!!

So I put the distributor back on, buttoned-up the bottom-end and poured 6 quarts of 'Liquid-Gold' in the crankcase.

I guess the next step is to Start it up again and 'See What Happens'. wink.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

She Started right up and ran well as usual, with No leaks or problems. I never did determine for sure where the internal leak was or why, other than it Was at the head gasket. Just one of those Unsolved Mysteries, I guess.

Copper-coat-spray gasket sealer is Great stuff.

Now let's see how many Hundreds of Thousands of Miles we can get out of that gasket, before I have to spray it Again ??? laugh.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope I don't have any issue as I put it on dry. eek.gifPer the supplier, Olsen, either way is fine.</div></div>

Yes, I asked Sandy Olson about the Copper-coat before using it. He also said Silicone-adhesive was Okay, but I don't think I would ever use that on a head-gasket. The advantage of the Copper-coat is that it keeps a seal at high temp, but doesn't make the gasket difficult to Remove if needed and there's nothing to sqeeze out, into cylinders and water passages, like there is with silicone.

Guest imported_Speedster

If Everything is perfect, with the head, block and gasket, then dry should be fine. It's just when Unknowns work their way into the Mating-ritual, is when the sealer is Needed.

Guest imported_Speedster

My dog Sheela (an Australian Blue-Heeler) and I went out to do our usual dayly inspection of our back yard and the cars and she showed me a dead Opossum laying on the runningboard of the '29.

She must have killed it last night and put it up there for me to find. Nothing or no one messes with my cars with her around. smile.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So do you think you are out of the woods with the leak now? </div></div>

Yes, I've checked the oil lever gauge a few times since I ran it awhile the other day and don't see it getting fuller. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I wish it had a dip-stick. The only way to check for small amounts of water in bottom of pan, is to drop the drain-plug and I haven't done that again, yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Speedster

Well, I found another dead Opossum this morning, by the 1502 this time. I feel sorry for the poor possums, not having a warm place to call home, on these cold nights. But to Sheela, they are just a Big Rats, eek.gif and she's not gonna let them make a home in my cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Speedster

I think I've asked this question before, but got no answers, so thought I'd try again.

I still need the fancy wood Inlays that go in wood trim on doors, below window, for the 645. They need to be similar to originals, with outdoor scenes, etc.

I've searched internet and have found wood-inlays but all are very simple designs. I think the originals were purchased from somewhere in Germany, so I may have to find someplace outside the USA to get them. If anyone has a Source, please let me know? Thanks

PS: A quick Trip to Europe would be Fun! laugh.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_Speedster

I've not been able to find anyone that will do the wood Inlay work on the door trim, at a desent price, so I'll attempt to do it Myself. I did find a book, on the internet, on the subject, that may be some help.

Hey, it's only miniture wood carving, and I've done a lot of that on my ship models, so this shouldn't be that difficult, I hope. It's just desiding on the overall picture design, is my main question now, since I don't have any good pictures of what the originals looked like. I think they were All different from each other.

Any information about wood Inlays that Packard or Dietrich used in '29 would be appreciated.

Thanks,

This is the only usable pic I have, which is simple enough, with just a man and woman in 18th century dress, but I don't know if this one is typical or Not:

post-33516-14313796867_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything you want to do is correct. Every one was unique. </div></div>

Were they all 18th Century Outdoor scenes? Most seem to have a woman in bonnet and full length dress, maybe with a parasol, Is that correct?

I think I've seen some with animals (dog, cat, etc.) but not sure if those were in Packards?

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure that the scene depicted was whatever the owner wanted. </div></div>

I was Hopeing that you would Limit my options, before I get 'Too Wild'. blush.gif LOL

I was thinking about something with Pamala Anderson or Tracy Lords ???

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks, That's good to know.

I remember that the one on right door of that car was not the same as that one, which was on left door, but I didn't get a picture of it. I think it had a woman with parasol, a terrier dog and something else, but can't remember the rest.

That car is also a '29 Club-Sedan (owner calls it a club-coupe), owned by a Doctor that lives at lake RayHubbard, close to Dallas. It's painted cream and green, with wood wheels, but it has been fully restored. Could it be the same car that your family had ?

Our old 640 club sedan had wire wheels that were unfortunately stripped off by a later owner for a speedster project. Our car wound up with disc wheels. I still know where the car is located.

Do you have any photos of the car near Lake Hubbard?

I think the '29 Packard wood wheels are quite attractive, and rather rare. And for those who don't know, the "piano wire" wheels of that year had 80 spokes, the most of any high-volume production car that I've yet run across. I did read somewhere about an exotic European car that had 90 spokes.

Guest imported_Speedster

No, I took a lot of pics of it but for some reason I lost most of them when downloading from camera. I only have some of various parts of the car, not a complete picture of it.

Here's one of it's wheel: wink.gif

(notice the red pin-striping on varnished wood wheel, the car has pin-striping all over, even the hood-vent-doors have them.) I was going to do that on my wood-wheels but desided to wait about that, and I'm Still Waiting. blush.gif

post-33516-143137968786_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a complete picture of that Packard, Rick?Wayne </div></div>

No, I took a lot of pics of it but for some reason I lost most of them when downloading from camera. I only have some of various parts of the car, not a complete picture of it.

It occurred to me that maybe a way to address the absence of the inlaid wood -- beyond learning how to inlay wood yourself or finding some originals -- would be to take a high-resolution photo from straight on of the inlaid scene. Then have decals made from the photos and put them on the plain wood. Cut out the decal right at the edge of the inlaid pattern. You may be able to spray clear over the wood and decals and then smooth out the edge. Given all the modern reproduction techniques available, this seems feasible to me. Maybe someone else has tried such an approach. I got the idea from remembering that years ago my wife had taken some newspaper and magazine articles and put them onto wood using shellac. It worked surprisingly well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I got the idea from remembering that years ago my wife had taken some newspaper and magazine articles and put them onto wood using shellac. It worked surprisingly well. </div></div>

James, My wife calls that "decoupage"!

I told her that I called it a waste of perfectly good shellac. crazy.gif

I got tired of those hot dogs really quick after that. blush.gifsmile.gif

Wayne

Guest imported_Speedster

The dacals are a Good Idea, but would be rather complicated to make. What I've been considering is just painting them on with several shades of brown, cream and tan colors (model paints), then stain/varnishing over the paint. The symetrical designs around the scene will probably be the most difficult to get even and matching, but painting them will be much easier than carving from seperate pieces of wood.

I'll do an experimental piece first and see how it looks after varnishing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Speedster

Making wooden window trim pieces, has got to be the most difficult portion of this restoration. This is my first attempt to make them all (14 pieces) on a car, and this is a coupe with less that some models.

I presently have 6 of the 14 stained and varnished, but I'll put on another coat of varnish. After putting stain on the other 8 pieces, sanding scratches showed up, that I couldn't see before, so I'll be sanding them again.

And I still haven't started painting the faux-inlay artwork yet. I desided to paint them after putting on a thin layer of stain, then more stain on top of the paint. It seems to work better that way on my experimental piece.

If I was doing this work for someone else, I'd be charging Thousands of dollars for the labor. cry.gif