HHR customized into a 1953 Buick Woodie

Reatta Man

I know some of you are going to HATE this, but here goes.

I just bought my wife a Chevy HHR. The HHR is being fitted with 'woodie' kits, but one guy went even further. He made an HHR into a 1953 Buick Woodie wagon.

Here's the link to the photos:

http://www.californiacruisers.com/hhr_1953_woody.htm

And just remember; SMILE; life is too short and too precious to complain!

Joe

Guest ZondaC12

I like the idea....not the execution. Personally the biggest issue for me...the HHR is too SMALL! Its like they squashed a '53 Buick Woodie.

And that grille...I dont even know what to say I was just like WHOA.

The wood sides are nice though! LOL

Guest John Chapman

Just proves that Henry Louis Mencken was right...

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public..."

Cheers,

JMC

The factory GM wood decal kits look really good on the HHR, depending upon the base color of the body. A little pricey, but they look better than similar on a PTCruiser.

When I saw the first HHRs at the Dallas New Car Show, before introduction, I could envision that with that general "fat fender" design orientation, you could make it into almost any GM divisional "look" from the 1940s. Change the grille, add some cladding in some cases, the "woody" look, and such would be reasonably easy to accomplish. Might need a different hood, though, to match the division's respective grille configuration, though.

I haven't seen the specific upfitter link referenced, but it's no surprise that many would not like it -- for various reasons. There are a good number of the various period looks of the modified PTCruisers that don't appeal to me either.

In reality, the HHR is a pretty decent product. Plus the recent "Panel" model that's designed for city delivery functions (and the first use of factory "door poppers" for the rear side doors. The GM Ecotec Supercharger Kit might also fit it, too!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Do you know where there are any photos of the factory wood panel kits for the HHR?

I bought an HHR for my wife; should be here tomorrow. With premium unleaded hitting about $3.16 per gallon here at some stations, it may be time for me to say goodbye to the Ultra.

If her HHR holds up well, I might buy one for myself and have the wood kit done to it.

Please let me know if you hear any GM rumblings about a Buick version of the HHR.

Joe

Guest Dans 77 Limited

I kind of liked it . Retro look and modern drivability. Yea maybe it could have been done a little better than it was , but my question is

By who?

Its not like guys who do this sort of conversion are exactly falling out of the sky. And for all we know ... maybe it couldnt have been done any better, maybe the basic design of the HHR prevented any further modification or said mods would have made it prohibitively expensive to build.

Maybe its not perfect ... but it is paying homage to the great Buicks of the past ... too bad its an aftermarket guy using a Chevy thats getting it done instaed of oh say Buick acknowledging their history.

Ill take mine in a bright blue , with white interior please.

Dan