Patience and persistance can pay off!

Amphicar BUYER

You may or may not remember me speaking of about one of my dream cars. That being a Ford Skyliner and trying to buy one near me. I have been trying to buy it for 10 years now. I would stop by once or twice a year if I saw him outside sometimes. It took me 3 years to get him to answer the door, 6 to have any sort of conversation (never about the car) and about 8 to get his phone number. I had never gotten any sort of call back. he is a nice guy, but very private with MANY cats.

For the last 2 weeks I have been working on a '57 2 door Fairlane body off resto at a shop I work at part time. Maybe that is what sparked it. I just could not get the retractable off my mind. It kept me awake sometimes.

Last Sunday, w/o plans I stopped by his place and knocked on the door expecting the usual silence. He answered the door! After 4 hours of talking about a lot of things (only about 20 mins on the car) he allowed me to look inside and we talked about how we would get it out of it's long time parking spot (since 1991) and touched on a price.

Earlier tonight he called me and to make a long story short, I will be going Sunday to load up my new 1959 Skyliner!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif I have dreamed of owning once since I was 14. (I won't say how long that is ;)) Supposed to run, only needing a differential. White with blue interior. After I pick her up, I'll post some photos.

Is there any advice on trying to operate the top for the 1st time? (since 1991 or so) Things to look at or any advice? Once all fluids are changed, tune-up, carb rebuild, belts, hoses changed and brakes are up to snuff, I plan on driving her as is for a while until I can afford to do it right.

Guest De Soto Frank

Should have the "standard Ford 9" rear", so repair shouldn't be too bad....

Believe the top mech is all worm-drive (no juice); although most folks suggest having the motor running when operating the top (to avoid killing the battery), you might want to try it with engine "off" the first go, so you can hear any un-happy noises...

Congrats on negotiating your way to a nice car !

That's how Jay Leno managed to acquire his rare Duesenberg Model X sedan... polite and persistant "Acquaintance"...

Give us a pic when you can !

OK guys, here's the pix of the '59. I went and picked her up today!!!!!!!! Only a 4" section of rust at the bottom of the LF fender which has a dent and will get replaced eventually. Everything works except radio and top (I believe a solenoid in the deck up mode is out) Needs a differential and oddly enough, the carpet is missing. She is cleaning up nicely so far. I have not even begun the process to start it, but the motor is free.

It's a 352cid, Cruise-O-matic, 3.10:1 diff, Built 4-16-59 in Kansas City. PS/PB car but does not have AC, Power windows or seats.

Wow, I can hardly believe I finally have my dream car and it's really a nice car especially for spending at least 17 years outside and probably closer to 25+.

I think I'll name her "Patience"

She's in there! The car was mostly surrounded by brush. We cut down 2 small trees to get her out.

deep in the bushes.jpg

After some trimming....

in the bushes.jpg

Right side exposed...

rightsideasfound.jpg

Meet Len, the previous owner.

Len.jpg

The dash as found...

As found dash.jpg

The interior is unbelievable!

frontseat.jpg

Rear seat.jpg

The headliner is falling down.

headliner.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the snow is in the mountains.

John, do they use much salt on the east side of the state? </div></div>

I am very impressed how well this car survived 17+ years outside. The trees helped shade it and the cardboard in the windows was a big help too. The plastic white dash buttons are very brittle from the ozone, but the seats clean up almost as new.

We get our fair share of snow on the plains too. Last winter we had 5 official blizzards and almost 10 storms that left measurable snow. That is a heavy winter but not unusual.

In Colorado it is rare to find any place that uses salt. Even in the few places that did years ago, they didn't use much like out east. We mostly use sand and learn how to drive in the snow. smile.gif

They now use a liquid chemical that gets put on before the snow drops that prevents roads from freezing and the snow sticking. That allegedly does not corrode but I'll tell ya that it is a pain to remove if you don't keep your car clean in the winter.

Guest Skyking

John, nice car!! Looks great even thou it sat outside all those years. The '60 Met I'm working on now was a Colorado car. Almost rust free!, they're sure not like New England cars..... Good luck with your project.

After new spark plugs, oil change some MMO down each cylinder (left to soak overnight), cleaned the fuel system and installed a new battery she fired up after only about 3 turns of the crank! Purrrrrrs like a kitten! 17+ years since she last ran.

I will need to pull the pan and clean it out before I drive it. Next is to get the trans and cooling systems cleaned and refilled and replace belts and hoses. The ring/pinion set will need replaced too. Then the brakes get attention before I take her out for a test drive.

I feel really blessed to find this car only 4 miles from my house and for it to be in such great shape only adds to my excitement. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amphicar BUYER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After new spark plugs, oil change some MMO down each cylinder (left to soak overnight), cleaned the fuel system and installed a new battery she fired up after only about 3 turns of the crank! Purrrrrrs like a kitten! 17+ years since she last ran.

</div></div>

.....and who says they didn't build good cars back then!

• 5 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry "Nice Limo!" Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I read that there's 600 feet of wire in the top mechanism. True? </div></div>

Yes, there is about 610' in total to run the 10 power relays, eight circuit breakers, 11 limit switches, three drive motors (that operate 4 screw-jacks), four lock motors, a dashboard warning light, and a neutral safety interlock. It works smoothly now except that I have 1 screw-jack that hangs up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> John, looks great!! Did you do all that detailing with the nose on?? </div></div>

Yes, I did all that w/o removing the clip. I was tough NOT to take it all apart but I only have a small window to complete this before I start reassembly of a concourse Amphicar. It is a driver after all! The engine is not far from absolutely correct except for plug wires and a couple of small details. All finishes are correct. I removed and restored each piece of hardware from the firewall to restore it.

The engine/trans I did not rebuild myself, but I did all the detailing and rebuilding of starter/generator/power steering/water pump/carb/diff/radio/top mechanism/brakes & fuel system myself. Now if I could find a radiator for her, I'd be a really happy guy!

Well, I was on my way to see a '28 Buick Standard that a friend was getting back to road worthy condition. Just west of town I saw a very rare '59 Farlane 500 along the side of the road. The somewhat disconcerted driver was just setting there. I turned around and stopped and asked if there was anything I could do to help. Troubleshooting did not make itself immediate, it seems that the fuel supply had stopped. So after an agressive choke, the engine started. Being late, I just gave him my cell phone number and offered to return for a tow if he needed it. I never got the call, but assumed that he got it home OK. It is a pleasure to see an enthusiast come up with a great barn find. Best luck Amphicar!

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The car looks good, and obviously you've been busy. </div></div>

Yeah, it looks like John is not the kind of guy that you want to give a job to and then change your mind. grin.gif Toooo late!!!!! smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, it looks like John is not the kind of guy that you want to give a job to and then change your mind. grin.gif Toooo late!!!!! smirk.gif </div></div>

Sometimes when I pull the trigger, time gets to be just a blur. I find myself out there until midnight sometimes.

She awaits a radiator (Anybody got one?) but mostly set aside because I am doing an Amphicar now for a customer. I started re-assembly Saturday eve. I get paid for that, but have to pay for the privilege to work on the '59. I win both ways.

post-31565-143137975395_thumb.jpg

Guest sonny h.

hey John; What years fit? I will be going near a place that has 2 but do not know what yrs they are.

P.S. I wont be going there till mid April. Give me a call if you want to Sonny@ 505-681-7624

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amphicar BUYER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I am doing an Amphicar now for a customer. I started re-assembly Saturday eve. I get paid for that, but have to pay for the privilege to work on the '59. I win both ways.

</div></div>

Hey John, looking at your Amphicar, I think it needs a fuel tank and a steering gear brace. Congrats on the '59 Ford. If you don't have the Master Parts and Illustrations Catalogs for your '59 Ford, I will give them to you. I am retired from working >30 yrs @ Ford Motor, Dearborn, and am restoring a '55 Customline right now.

Contact me through John Lambert from your Amphicar Club. He lives in Fenton, MI. (His white Amphicar is called "Git-R-Wet.") John is my cousin.

Simplyconnected

• 1 month later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey John, looking at your Amphicar, I think it needs a fuel tank and a steering gear brace. Congrats on the '59 Ford. If you don't have the Master Parts and Illustrations Catalogs for your '59 Ford, I will give them to you. I am retired from working >30 yrs @ Ford Motor, Dearborn, and am restoring a '55 Customline right now.

Contact me through John Lambert from your Amphicar Club. He lives in Fenton, MI. (His white Amphicar is called "Git-R-Wet.") John is my cousin.</div></div>

Yes, I could use those! Let me know what you'd like for them. Your offer is way to generous! I will get in touch with John.

There won't be a brace because I am trying to do a "correct" restoration on this car. It is hard to dumb down things to the factory levels when you really want to make it perfect.

Well, she is on the road again!!!!!!!!!!

post-31565-143137983865_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I took the '59 Skyliner over to Len's (previous owner since 1968) place to show him the car. I pulled in and he came out a very surprised man. I scooted over into the passenger's seat and said "let's go for a drive!" Len hopped in and sat there for several minutes quietly slowly looking around, touching every knob, with a smile. We went for a drive and he didn't say much out loud, but I knew what he was thinking.

We pulled back into his driveway and parked almost in the very spot where she sat for 25+ years. I asked him what he thought about the car now. He looked up and didn't say a word. But when he glanced at me then turned his head away, I could see tears welling up in his eyes. He tried to wipe them away w/o me noticing. I did not say anything as he already said all he needed to already.

His neighbor of 35 years came over and was ecstatic in seeing the '59, top down and on the road. He said he tried for years to get Len to do something with the car. He thanked me many times for saving the car and really caring about the car and Len's feelings too.

Len spent 30 mins just staring at the engine commenting on how it looks exactly as he remembers it years ago. Everything was right and he loved the wheels. He crawled under and was surprised that the entire chassis was all painted too.

That was one of the most rewarding and touching days I have experienced in a long time. I will continue to share the car with him. He was concerned that I would sell it. I told him of the 3 offers I have on it now, but will not consider. Besides after 10+ years of trying to buy it, I am not in it for the money, it's a dream fulfilled. If somebody wants this car, I always tell them they "can get a better one cheaper." This one is not for sale unless they want to spend many times it's value.It's value to me is indescribable. I am a lucky man sometimes....