Reatta pricing

Guest walt in ciniti

Guest imported_walt in ciniti

At last a price guide with Reattas priced right.

Cars That Matter price guide for Jan.- Apr 2007

condition 4 3 2 1

88 cpe 3000 3800 6100 8500

89 cpe 3200 4000 6700 9100

90 cpe 3300 4800 7100 9400

90 conv 9000 14200 19000 24300

91 cpe 3500 5450 8200 9800

91 conv 10200 16100 21000 27200

Walt,,,,

I like that book for sure....where might it be found please sir? You car fits in ths high category to the right for sure...forget exactly what you had....what little memory I have left tells me it was red and I think a roadster....but I do know/remember that it was "cherry" smile.gif.....

Nic

Priced right for who Walt?

If seeing an extremely inflated price in print makes a car worth more, have at it.

Why not snap up eBay #180153774110 for less than half its value in #4 condition, 9K vs 4.5K.

Gold will hit $3,000 an oz. too, someday..............

Jim

I'm waiting for the book to arrive as I type. Their web site says all prices are based on actual sales and trends. and that their goal is to be the number one authority. If they can accomplish that they have a good thing going for all of us.

When I receive the book I'll contact them and see how they gather their info and how timely it is.Don't know how they will answer if at all. A lot of that stuff is close hold.

Their car class descriptions (1 to 4) seem to compare with others I've seen. When you grade on a bell curve each of the highs and lows should be thrown out. anyway it should be interisting. The trick is to properly grade your own car as to it's proper catagory (many want to bump their's up a grade) and find the buyer/seller who feels the same.

Is there some reason that us Reatta owners should not rely on the NADA price guide that is based on thousands of monthly sales reported by NADA members across the USA? Members that are legitimate car dealers, both dealerships and used car lots like you find on most city street corners.

When it comes to selling our cars to each other we can inflate prices and maybe still be able to sell to each other because we love our Reattas. But, when it comes to selling to Joe Sixpack down the street that is another matter. He is probably going to use the NADA Price Guide to get his information on the value of your car and to determine what he is willing to pay. Showing him a price guide that has higher price will be of little value in making a sale.

Kelly Blue Book, NADA, Blacks Cars of Particular Interest,Cars that matter, or any of the other auto guides are just that. A guide based on a set of "Known Facts"

My 90 vert is not listed in NADA in their classic book but is shown in their regular book at 8K. Mine is (what I consider)a very clean vehicle, and a 2007 BCA Silver Award winner. (Missed Gold by 1 point, and all my deductions were for minor engine compartment items which for the most part have been corrected, like wrong hose clamps, wrong oil filler cap,plug wires routed in the wrong direction Etc. No deductions for body or interior.

The point is that it cannot, and is not (at least not yet) measured by the NADA or Kelly standards. (If the glove does not fit.... Etc) I therefor have to go to a different standard or another guide that does fit in order to determine value by my standards and goals. My goal having owned my first Reatta vert in 1993 is to maintain the integerity of what I believe is one of the most reasonably priced collectable cars available on the market today. I realize there are many others who have Reattas for many different reasons and thats OK too. But for us who want to maintain ours in the collectable arena know that we will have to put money into maintaining that standard. Thus, our guidance as to collectability and value is to a different standard. In the end it is the buyer who will determine all of our cars value.

Jerry in Tacoma.

• 5 years later...
Guest Ragtop

To bring this thread up to date. I found a book called 2013 Collector Car Price Guide by Krause Publications that not only explain how they arrived at the pricing but also gives explanations of what condition of car each category represents from 1 to 6. Example; 1990 convt. 6=$800 5=$2400 4=$4000 3=9000 2=$14000 1=$20000.

As the inventor of class 6 (you would pay more for parts than the whole car) that sounds about right. Many confuse class 2 (competitive nationally) and class three (competitive locally, really nice driver). Class 1 exists theoretically but would be a new car packed in a big baggie, vaccuum sealed, and kept in the dark at 72 degrees & 15% humidity. Class 4 is somewhat neglected but functional, class 5 is something parked in the weeds. Most daily drivers would be somewhere between 3 and 4.

Guest my3buicks
As the inventor of class 6 (you would pay more for parts than the whole car) that sounds about right. Many confuse class 2 (competitive nationally) and class three (competitive locally, really nice driver). Class 1 exists theoretically but would be a new car packed in a big baggie, vaccuum sealed, and kept in the dark at 72 degrees & 15% humidity. Class 4 is somewhat neglected but functional, class 5 is something parked in the weeds. Most daily drivers would be somewhere between 3 and 4.

I would say most any car that has achieved awards such as AACA JR & Sr., possibly Grand National Winner and garnered similar club awards such as BCA Senior Gold can safely fall into the # 1 Category - let's face it, lost of those cars are better than when they left the factory.

Guest my3buicks

The insurance company's are not bulking on setting the agreed value at similar pricing to the above Collector Car Price Guide - they are not going to go with an agreed value that is totally askew of pricing guidelines.

I follow Reatta sales closely and there is no rhyme or reason to why some cars sell and some do not. Same applies to those who ask too much for their car.

Recently a 95,000 mile S60 sold for $14,500. It was a one owner rust free SoCal car and *I* think the seller got a good price; considering about 18 months ago a rust free S60 with 33,000 miles sold for $16,000.

On the flip side, an inoperable rust bucket S60 needing a new top, body work, paint, tranny, interior, etc. with 110,000 miles sold for $2,500. Add $1,200 as the car had to be shipped from L.A. to Mass and I think the buyer made a bad purchase (even though I know of him to be a knowledgeable Reatta owner).

There are 50,000 mile convertibles available for $15,000 for the past 18 months still for sale. There was a 100,000 mile driftwood vert with an initial asking price of $16,900 that eventually dropped to $9,000. Gorgeous car inside and out (new seats) and I was told (can't confirm) the car recently sold for $7,500 (the going price for this car).

The S60 currently on sale originally asked $40,000. Then was re-listed w/ a $30,000 buy it now and again relisted with a reserve price (can you guess what it is?). I would like nothing more than for the seller to get his price but it's not going to happen. Even with 4,000 miles, it might fetch for $17-$20 on a warm, summer day.

As I see it, this is the time to be a Reatta buyer. Not a great time to sell. Fact is, we may never get the appreciation these cars should attain.

There are a number of factors holding the Reatta back . A shaky economy, being right at the age cutoff for qualifying as a historic or collectible car and a less than stellar perception among serious collectors are all working against the valuation.

Clearly, I am not a collector in the sense of going to Barrett Jackson and dropping high five digits on restoration. I am a guy with a specific interest and modest budget and the Reatta is a bargain that I can swing and work on myself with good results. So, the current market benefits me - and those like me - immensely.

For those hoping to make bank on selling even a #1 car, well that isn't looking so good for now. Maybe that will change, but if that happens guys like me will be priced out by the high rollers. Make no mistake, this will also have an effect on parts and insurance pricing. So, be careful what you wish for.

For now, the Reatta is a respectable car that has great styling and exclusivity with a price tag that can be easily digested by mere mortals.

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

Stock market at an all time high indicates the economy is anything but shakey and the guide to valuation is not ebay.

It has been a buyer's market the past 5 years and I don't see that changing unless those who have influence on the collector car market start seeing the Reatta as desirable. That includes (but not limited to) publications like Hemming's showing support, collector car insurance companies giving a better valuation (or even having a Reatta at a Barrett-Jackson event) and the Reatta Division living up to their mission statement (assuming there is one) and promote the car.

eBay sales (not listings) are just as accurate as anything else considering the current ways cars are bought and sold..... meaning it's very useful but not perfect, but nothing else is either

I agree. I think eBay is the main source for Reatta valuations. At least until the car's desirability hits a couple more plateaus (and that wont be happening anytime soon).

AutoTrader, Hemmings - people can ask all they want for their cars but we never find out what the sale price is. And typically, those $15,000+ Reattas stay listed for months if not years.

Guest Richard D

Here in Miami all the dealerships use a small "Black Book" (real name)that is updated every week, for a certain area, South Florida, Central Florida, etc and not available to the public. The sales manager at a Chrysler store used to save a week old one for me to look through. It is a small size that fits in shirt pockets. I will try to find one and post the publisher and other info.

That said, I enjoy driving my Reatta and not seeing another one every block or so. If I was buying and selling them I would feel different.

Major difference is that the Black Book used to have only wholesale values, no retail or private party. The values tended to be lower than others like NADA and KBB. This allows a dealer to show a current but low value.

Guest Furman83

As a 50+ year old person, here is my .02 cents worth. I love my Reatta and enjoy working on it and talking to people about it, This, in itself, is "PRICELESS". I too like many others, would love to have a 69 Camaro Z28 (teenage dream car), but the price is not worth it at this time. As a 80's Yuppie, this was the car I fell in love with (in an era of really bad cars), but could not afford early in my career. Now that I can have one, improve on, turn heads, Listen to all the 80's music I want and DRIVE, Well, that to me is what this is all about. Enjoying life! with a great memory. I will not part with car until I am dead no matter it's value, the hard part is, "Who will take care of it after I am gone."

Rocky