High mileage Reatta record?

Guest F14CRAZY

Guest Greg Ross

I'm just over 300 K, topping that, there was a convertible from Ontario, Canada at Flint summer before last and if I recall correctly. It was showing something handy 500,000 miles!

Can anyone confirm?

Guest F14CRAZY

From what I know...

Reattas are expensive cars to keep going, especially that long. The 3800 can make it that long with decent care, but the tranny probably won't (though a pretty good tranny) and then you have things like the IPC, all the computer modules, electronics...

Panikmekanik's white/maroon 1988 coupe has over 180k, runs,shifts great, perfect interior, overall good condition. I've just purchased an 89 parts car w/250+k to replace her DEER-damaged body panels, the parts car is a driver, yet has the dreaded "Top of rear fender rust" problem. It will be parted-out into her 88 coupe. I'll be selling the remainder of it's parts to cover expenses, mainly GAS to go get it! I could drive three Reattae for the gas price of operating the 86 chevy k-truck! There will be a windshield available from it soon!! All the glass is good, as well as interior. I'm posting a before photo of the BAMBI-KILLER, and will post an after photo when restored to it's previous lustre.

Properly maintained, the engine and tranny will well outlast the bushings which hold them on the car, and possibly the driver's desire to drive it. Most sell their Reatta long before it's outlived it's usefullness or driveability.

Is'nt there a SC 5-speed Reatta out there with nearly 500k on it?

I MAY BE JINXING MYSELF, BUT MY 89 HAS 181 K ON HER , ITS MY DAILY DRIVER , I DO ABOUT 120 MILES PER WEEK . IN THE LAST YR , I DID THE FOLLOWING, MYSELF , BTW , TUNEUP ( RAPID FIRES, AND WIRES ), AIR FILTER, NEW PADS AND ROTORS ALL AROUND , AIR FILTER AND COUPLE OF BULBS, PLUS 2 SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGES . TOTAL COST AROUND $450- $500 . MY POINT IS THAT ISNT ALOT OF MONEY TO SPEND ON A CAR WITH THAT MILEAGE IN ONE YR. IS IT?

Guest MauiWowee

That isn't a lot to spend on any car. I look at it this way......buy a new car and you will lose more in depreciation than it takes to keep a well-taken care of Reatta on the road (sorry F14). I bought my last new vehicle in '87, and I drove it into the ground. I sold it for $1000. three years ago with 270K. A comparable vehicle would now cost me three times as much as I spent on the '87.

I love my 15 year old Reatta, and if I spend $1000. a year keeping it on the road, it will still be worth it. (eight months, $120. plus two oil changes)

Guest Greg Ross

I use the same logic. Last new car I purchased was a '93 5.0L Mustang 5-Spd and I am more content with Betsy Blue then I ever was with that Mustang. No Guts, had to be up around 3000 rpm to see any power. Nothing like my favorite '68 Camaro 327/ 300 Hp 4-Spd. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

If I'm averaging 20-30,000 a year and even at $3-4000. per year averaged in maintenance I'm actually getting ahead of the game. At $4000. that's less than a car payment on a Sh..box. And I'm driving what I enjoy.

Guest F14CRAZY

True it probably isn't bad. To you guys. Maybe to a 17 y/o laugh.gif

Like I'm getting in need of new CV joints. They've got over 150k miles on them so I think they lasted long enough. So? They're still expensive and I'm gonna have to take a Saturday to mess with them mad.gif I'll pick some up from advance auto parts with a liftime warranty and call it good.

Guest MauiWowee

"Mine: generic '89 Bright Red/Saddle coupe. Every other part replaced/repaired"

It's the every other part I was refering to, F14. SOMEBODY may have beaten your car.

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

oh yeah, my bad. Though I don't think my car's really been like beat or not taken care of, you know. Just dumb stuff's gone bad. Mostly electronics. Core engine and tranny are in great shape (uses very very little oil and and shifts well) but it's all the external parts, like my CV joints, shocks, and other Reatta specific things and normal things that just go bad with vehicles this old. I think the previous owner(s) took care of maintenance pretty well.

Me and Mario were talking about how our schoolmates have a lot better cars but beat them. Like the 2 door GTP with a bad supercharger, or the late model Police Interceptor with near-dragging exhaust, rust through, and some nasty "T-bone" damage, or the V6 Mustangs that are pushed hard like they're V8s. Or the rusty Mark VIII. And the late models that are never garaged (this gets obvious in the winter). And me and Mario are taking care of our not-that-immaculate '89 and '95 Buicks and trying to keep them going while the rich kids aren't doing a thing to keep up their parent-bought nice cars.

Hell, Mario and I have been messing with the preps with the V6 Firebirds and Mustangs. They always park far out from the building and we've been taking "their" spaces grin.gif.

Ahhh, High School Antics! I remember those days! tongue.gif

My advice, continue to mess with the preps. What are they gonna do? Equate their "football skills", to fighting skills, and try to mess with you? Yeah, right! tongue.gif

Rich kids never care about their parent-bought cars. In fact, I had fun, picking on some fellow, at the University of Arizona, in Tucson, a few weeks ago. He decided that it would be a good idea, to speed around a corner, from a complete stop, to impress his girl. Little did he know that, by doing so, he'd hit a temporary parking barrier. My car was blocking the view. He totaled his Toyota truck's, front end. I had to laugh at his stupidity. And I made sure he knew that his girl wasn't gonna give him any nookie, that night. To which comment, she looked at me, and smiled. wink.gif

What a tool... but Daddy and Mommy, will pay for the repairs, and he'll be back, doing it again, soon enough. frown.gif

I had a V6 Thunderbird, and you <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> to beat on them, to get them to move... trust me! grin.gif

Rusty Mark VIII, huh? I had an immaculate one, and it was still a piece of (bleep)! Lincoln hasn't made a good car, in eons. In fact, you could prove that statement, by looking at it's standing, on the list that explains, "problems, per one-hundred vehicles, produced". It's at the dead bottom of the list. mad.gif

In any event, keep up the good work, of pissing-off of those arrogant (bleeps)! grin.gif

In the 70's we called those preppy-guys JOCKS! They called us FREAKS!

We earned every minute of college, they bullied their way thru on a sports scolarship.

We learned to make our way in the world, they learned to intimidate or bully their way thru life. I feel for the ones who did'nt make the pro teams, what dillusion they've lived. Driving mom's old car the whole time. I've never been given a car, and would'nt want mom or dad's hand-me-downs. Except for mom's 64 1/2 ragtop V8 3speed A/C 8-track mustang, but it was gone 2 years before I got a license. Glad I learned to drive in her 67 MGB, but it sold too. I would've inherited her 74 Mustang piston-scuffer! Thanks to our nieghbor- who sold me the 66 Dynamic 88, with a rocket 425. That car won the senior burn-out contest by burning the power wheel's tire right off.

AHHH, glory days, they'll pass you by - so make the best of them!

Park in their spots, photo their girls on your hood, trunk or bed (of your truck).

Smoke them out with your burn-outs.

And, most of all, beat them at the "Game of Life".

Problem is, the JOCKS can get a cheerleader to pose on thier momma's car hood for photos easier than us FREAKS can with our unique, rare or muscle cars.

You'll have to find one who wants to make "Bubba" the linebacker jealous, hope it's worth the beating you may recieve. I know mine was worth it, I wish I got photos, she was HHHHOTT!

a) Personal favorite is the guy with a hot Kawasaki showing off in a parking lot who launched waaay too hard, bike went vertical, rear tire came off the ground, and the bike fell off sideways breaking the case into bitty pieces.

B) Next is watching two cars driving slowly in a giant but deserted parking lot managing to do a head-on. (Not on purpose)

c) Reatta is my daily driver just my work is either at home (virtual employee) or a couple of states away, wife always wants to take her car, and have six other cars anyway (one too many, anyone interested in a 90 Bonneville SE with all the toys ? No rust atoll. Same drivetrain as Reatta and more reliable CD).

Guest F14CRAZY

haha nice writeup by manik

They can't catch me! I'm the newspaper's vice chief editor, beotch! (like Mario wanting to skip and saying "they can't catch me! I got TPI!"

We're trying to come up with a "Great Show of Power" for these V6 Mustang-type dudes. Like the dude with the 2000 era Mustang that TRIES to peel like everyday at lunch. One of these days, I am going to have to say, "You just got SPANKED! By a Buick!" (I'd buy a license plate frame with this if someone will make one)

The dude with the Mark VIII got better though and bought a Fox body 5.0 LX and has some real performance mods, and can drive a stick. So he's cool.

My 2000 Regal peels as a matter of course, I don't try... and if I had to, I wouldn't, because buying new tires, every 6 months, is not on my agenda. wink.gif

When I get the time, I'll Adobe a bumpersticker up, and have them printed. I'll let you know, when I start the project. After you coined that phrase, a while back, I've been using it, to great effect. grin.gif

I liked the "notch-back" 5.0 Mustang LX. Especially, the Police Interceptor variant. Now if only I had the cash, to pick one up, for playtime. tongue.gif

Manik, that was a work of art... smile.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

Hmmm...with the sticker it should have either a Buick crest or the Reatta "R" though some Regal Grand National etc guys might want some. And I was thinking about a license plate thing since it would look better (and I dunno where to put a sticker on a Reatta, maybe on the rear glass) but I realize that in some states these license plate things aren't legal. So bumper stickers they are.

My front tires are "Hankooks" (came with it) and they're really cheap anyway

This'll be good grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When I get the time, I'll Adobe a bumpersticker up, and have them printed. I'll let you know, when I start the project. After you coined that phrase, a while back, I've been using it, to great effect.

</div></div>

When you get them made up, sell me one please.

It'll have to be non-denominational, as in non-specific, to any type of car, because I'm sure the GN, and other Buick owners, will want one. But F14, keeps coming up with new catch-phrases, for Buick owners, and I don't know, that I can keep up with him! grin.gif

Update: How's This? No stealing now, for it isn't copyrighted, and I'd like the opportunity to get these into production! wink.gif

buick_bumper_sticker.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Double Update: I mentioned this, when we talked about it last time... whenever that was, but I will only sell them for cost of production, plus mailing costs, to specific addresses. There's no need to make a profit on someone else's idea. Nor do I want to make a profit, on something I love.</span>

Let me see what I can do. I've been up all night, so I'm going to try to get some sleep. I'll work on it, later, when I'm conscious. frown.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Update: Ahhh, what the hey... I'm not going to get to sleep anyway...</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buick_bumper_sticker_02.jpg</div></div>

When I do have some sort of assemblage of consciousness, I'll make sure that the emblem and quote are affixed, in a more centered way. It's not perfect, but for a quick ten minutes, at burn-out, it's not bad.

Guest F14CRAZY

For the "Road Rocket" I'd mention "Reatta." Because the Reatta is the "Personal Luxury Road Rocket." A skyhawk wouldn't be.

For the "Spanked" sticker, I suggest removing the exclamation point. It speaks for itself grin.gif

We should check that out, Jim. But in the mean time, since it was F14's post in the first place, I feel he's free to go wherever, he likes. tongue.gif

Okay, the completed thumbnails:

buick_bumper_sticker_01_revised.jpg

buick_bumper_sticker_03b.jpg

Okay, just so that you know, I feel that people would rather have something short, sweet, and conservative. Therefore, these are built upon the 2" X 8", setup. The larger 3" X 12", can be done, but requires an entirely new make-up, since I don't want to stretch the pixels, to be lazy. tongue.gif

I'm open to suggestions... I've even thought about placing the Reatta emblem to the right, and the word to the left, to make it bigger... but that's up to the person, who wants one. ooo.gif