1962 Buick Special Convertible - ACC Codes and V8 questions

aucker

Hello all,

On a 1962 Buick Special.  Told it was an original V8, 4 speed car.  Number on the motor does not match the body vin.  Is this normal if the engine was a special order?  Body is code as Buick Special while the motor is coded Buick Special Deluxe. 

Anyone familiar with the ACC codes?  What can we tell from them?

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_7477.JPEG

Interior has been redone in a cheaper aftermarket pattern.  For warranty purposes I believe the last part of the engine number should match the vin number.  Not uncommon for them to be replaced though as they were just used cars for much of their life.   If you are looking for one of these, What's your price range?  There are still pretty nice examples out there that you would be better to find than to fix up someone's old project unless you enjoy the journey of restoration more than the driving around part of old cars. 

I just Googled 1962 Buick body plate data and got:

http://www.tpocr.com/buickbp2.html

62 is model year

4067 is convertible

FB Built in Flint Michigan

079 is red vinyl trim

V Cardinal red

No luck on those accessory codes yet.

From the plates you reference, there is no real way to tie that to the engine number, I believe, on those earlier models.  After about 1971, probably so.  The under hood plate describes the body only.  The door post plate is for registration purposes.  That particular number can be basically decoded, I believe, as to car/brand division, model, engine type, production plant. model year, and "sequence number"?

The interior has been "trim shopped".  Not bad, but not correct.

NTX5467

0I1601359 = car serial number
0 = Series 4000/Special V8
I = 1962 model year
1 = built at Flint, MI
601359 = sequential number, range for Flint built Y-body cars was 501,001 to 604,700

1I1590292 = engine serial  number (non-original engine, original engine serial number should match car serial number above)
1 = Series 4100/Special Deluxe V8
I = 1962 model year
1 = built at Flint, MI
590292 = sequential number, range for Flint built Y-body cars was 501,001 to 604,700

I 389792
I = engine production code = 1962 215 Fireball V8, 8.8:1 comp ratio, 220 lbs-ft, 155 HP, 2V
389792 = sequential number, 1962 model year production was 400,150

BUICK DIV. GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
07D
STYLE 62-4067 FB 5734 BODY
TRIM 079 VV 1 PAINT
ACC. A7 F1 H I7 K7

07D = build date = July (07) 1962, fourth week (D)

4067 = Fisher body style number
4 = Buick
0 = Series 4000/Special V8
67 = 2-door convertible

FB = body built at Flint MI
5734 = 5734th style 4067 built at Flint

Trim 079 = Red Vinyl with Bucket-Type Front Seats, available on style 4067

Paint code VV = solid Cardinal Red
1 = convertible top code = White

Accessory option codes:
A7 = 4-speed manual transmission, V-8 required     
F1 = Convenience group (glare proof mirror, cigar lighter, coat hooks, dual horn, right sun visor)
H = Back-up lights
I7 = Soft-Ray tinted glass - windshield only
K7 = Instrument panel safety cover

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Everyone thanks for the input!

Sounds like we all confirm the motor is not the original V8... but the car was an original V8 4 speed.

The interior is not original seat patterns.  Seats are white.  All other intertior is White / Black 2 tone. 

"Trim 079 = Red Vinyl with Bucket-Type Front Seats, available on style 4067"

Does this mean it should be an all red interior OR red vinyl seats with the black and white dash and sides?

What is a fair price for this car?  Is it a $5,000 car OR ?????

Sean,  where did you get the decoding information for the accessory codes?

Yes, it would have been an all red interior. You can see that from the paint chips in the steering wheel. As far as value, you haven't given us enough views of the whole car to give you a good answer. If it runs and drives, has a good working top, and a decent paint job, then I would probably say yes to $5000.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

3 hours ago, aucker said:

also so any idea of a fair price on the above Special?

I would say the price depends on what kind of use will be expected from the car.  Is it going to be a week-end driver or do you want a car to be judged in BCA, AACA competitions. If it's a driver, no one but you and the few readers here will ever know.  Clean up the engine and put a lot of paint on the ID numbers - no one will know but you.  Make improvements as desire, time, and finances allow.  Most of all - does it fit your needs and wants?

It's nice that you now know the origin of the replacement engine, but it's affect upon the ultimate value is nil.  As long as it's "correct" in size and such, that's all that matters.  

We had a chapter member who had a 2-dr hardtop.  215 V-8, 4-speed, and under-dash a/c (I believe).  Nice looking car!  And, of course, anything of that vintage with a 4-speed was usually deemed "a performance car".  Be that as it may.  Parts for those cars can be a bit quirky, sometimes.

NTX5467