Stopped by the Upholsterer's Shop Today

Not really sure how much just for the headliner. My guy is doing the complete interior from floor to ceiling and the trunk for one inclusive price.

I don't believe that the headliner should cover the header panel as it appears in the photo. Usually the liner material is glued to the header and it is screwed into place separate so that you have access to the wiper motors. The panel then helps to retain the front of the liner. If the liner is one piece, it could cause a lot of grief if you have problems later. JMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpage said:

I don't believe that the headliner should cover the header panel as it appears in the photo. Usually the liner material is glued to the header and it is screwed into place separate so that you have access to the wiper motors. The panel then helps to retain the front of the liner. If the liner is one piece, it could cause a lot of grief if you have problems later. JMO.

Yep....this.

• Like 1

Hmmmm?

I searched and searched and asked and asked about the wiper switch area, over and over, before I sent it to the shop. I could not get one single answer or picture from anyone regarding this.

Then dpcdfan here offered an examination of his (mostly original) '38 coupe. I drove over to Colton and had a good long look at several things on the car including the wiper switch area. It looked just like this. Two small holes directly through the headliner with two small metal collars, similar to door lock knob collars. Looked simple enough, provided you don't have to access the motors too often. The owner's manual shows a picture, albeit not a very good one, of a similar set up. I know the earlier cars had a metal panel up there but I just could not find any evidence of the '38 having the same set up.

It's very possible that this is the correct way that the liner is installed and I'm not that familiar with the '38's but the '37's are done as I stated. Either way, you have a very nice car and I'm anxious to see the finished product! Love the exterior color too.

I'm just as anxious to get it right Jim! :lol:

It seems there are quite a few '38's left out there but it's like pulling teeth trying to get info on some of the details.

Took me a long time to find the correct sewing pattern for the door panels.

The devil's in the details.

Seems that info and discussion about the mid-30's cars and trucks has really dropped off in the last year or so on this forums. I know we lost about 4 posters just on the '36 cars. There seems to be very little info about the '38's, so I feel your pain! With so many of what's left of these cars being rodded or "personalized", it's hard to get could photos and details of original or stock cars!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

1 hour ago, jpage said:

Seems that info and discussion about the mid-30's cars and trucks has really dropped off in the last year or so on this forums. I know we lost about 4 posters just on the '36 cars. There seems to be very little info about the '38's, so I feel your pain! With so many of what's left of these cars being rodded or "personalized", it's hard to get could photos and details of original or stock cars!

I think they all moved over to Buick.  Atleast it seems that way. I think the Buick Forum on this site is the most active of any of them, just look at the threads and number of responses/ pages. Some go on for days/ years. 

Yeah, in '37 they changed things up and ran the headliner down to the windshield over the wiper motor. At least the '37 that I've seen up close, owned by a fellow who was once the Plymouth Owners Club's '37 technical advisor is that way.

I haven't got a clue how the factory thought you should get to the wiper motor for repair or replacement.