Starter Motor: Continuous Running OK?

MochetVelo

I don't think so. It will over rev like crazy. There have been setups like this where the starter turned into a generator and continued to turn when the engine was running. But they had a planetary gear set to gear them down for starting and up for running. Dodges in the twenties had something like this that was chain driven to the engine. Have heard of adapting this setup to older cars that had no starter. There was a brand called Dynastart that was used on European cars. It was fitted to the end of the crankshaft.

Might be better to fix the engine so it starts as intended. Most early engines will start with a half turn of the handle if everything is working right. If you say what kind of car or engine there is probably someone who knows how to tune it right.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I'm hoping it's a temporary setup while I get the engine starting easier (1911 Hupmobile). I could use a Bendix and ring gear, but I want a simpler installation than that. The other option is to use a starter-generator which is designed to run continuously. Why can't a simple starter run with the engine?

Phil

Figure it out. Typical ring gear to starter gear is geared down 10:1 or more. This is to allow a starter turning 100RPM to turn the engine 10RPM. Now reverse it, if your engine is turning 1000RPM your starter is turning 10000RPM. It won't do that without blowing up. So, they had to use some kind of planetary gear set for a dynastart or disengage the starter.

What kind of ignition does it have? Why won't it start on the handle? I could offer a suggestion for making an electric starter but frankly your time would be better spent making the engine run right.

If everything is right and it still won't start you could try towing it down the road in second and popping the clutch. Once it starts warm it up and take it for a drive and it may be all right after that.

If I had to make a temporary starter I would rig up a 110 volt 1/2HP motor to drive a shaft that engaged the crank dog on the front of the engine and kicked out then the engine started. It would turn the engine by the hour if necessary.

Another way would be to rig up a couple of rollers to drive the rear wheel. You would have to make sure the car was blocked and tied down well.

But first I would put my effort into getting the engine to run right.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Another thought. You can buy hella powerful battery powered 1/2" drive wrenches. I have seen them used in a junk yard to remove wheels from a dozen cars before recharging. If you could rig up one of those to engage the starter dog it would start your car. You could carry it in the car and use it any time.