Battery question.

39mm

2 hours ago, 39mm said:

Anyone have any experience with Walmart's  ValuePower budget battery?

Just in returning them when a cell would gombad.  They were always gracious with their return policy.

Ed

It was in the car when I bought it, I didn't purchase it new.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

16 hours ago, 39mm said:

Anyone have any experience with Walmart's  ValuePower budget battery?

I put one in my '93 a little over a year ago.

It is a bit under powered for the application and I usually use ACDelco, but I was out of town when I needed it, so I got it and put it in. I was going to take it back and get the Delco and just didn't. It has been in the car for right at a year now and still does the job fine.

I would not use one in my last, or first generation Rivs, but it is doing fine in the '93.

16 minutes ago, Rivman said:

I put one in my '93 a little over a year ago.

It is a bit under powered for the application and I usually use ACDelco, but I was out of town when I needed it, so I got it and put it in. I was going to take it back and get the Delco and just didn't. It has been in the car for right at a year now and still does the job fine.

I would not use one in my last, or first generation Rivs, but it is doing fine in the '93.

Just a F.Y.I. I've got those batteries in all 3 of my vehicles and they are performing fine. A battery will last as long as 7 years or more depending on the usage of the vehicle. A battery will give maximum life if every time the vehicle is used it is driven at least 14 miles after it has been started. Most people don't or can't do that. The starter can draw as much as 250 amps at start and the vehicle isn't driven long enough to put that energy back into the battery.  

If I've got a charging system issue that can drain the battery on me... I definitely use the Walmart batteries, the return process is simple, they are everywhere and open at most times to boot.  Now I'd like something a bit nicer if there wasn't a chance of having it go flat just sitting around but that's always a danger with old cars with their old wiring.

CTX-SLPR, 

4 hours ago, CTX-SLPR said:

If I've got a charging system issue that can drain the battery on me... I definitely use the Walmart batteries, the return process is simple, they are everywhere and open at most times to boot.  Now I'd like something a bit nicer if there wasn't a chance of having it go flat just sitting around but that's always a danger with old cars with their old wiring.

So your problem costs them battery exchanges? Did you used to get LL Bean stuff too?

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

CTX-SLPR, 

So your problem costs them battery exchanges? Did you used to get LL Bean stuff too?

No idea what you're talking about beyond yes, my charging system issue costs them battery exchanges...

I got 11 years out of my previous battery. :blink:  Replaced it with a Walmart job 4 years ago (although not the ValuePower level) and have had no problems since -- and it solved the "sticky starter" issue.  I keep a Battery Tender on it, and it cranks right over.

At some point, ya gotta remember that Walmart doesn't make these batteries, and they're probably pretty much the same as the similar ones (1 year warranty, 650 CCA, etc.) available anywhere else.  If ease of exchange is a point of differentiation between Walmart and Autozone, etc., then that's probably a good reason to go to Wally World.  Until abuse of that policy changes it.

Personally, I'd rather spend $35 on a Battery Tender than make repeated trips to exchange batteries.  No matter how easy that exchange is, it's not easier than not going at all.  Of course, the first inclination would be to fix the problem that was causing to them to run down. ;) 

I put in a Group 27F in my 65 from the Nissan dealer that I am Parts Manager at. Peeled off the Nissan stickers, and with the black case, nobody knows the difference. Made by Interstate anyway, and we sell them for a 100 dollar bill to the public. MUCH cheaper than the parts stores.

• Like 1