WTB -1969 rear bumper filler

kreed

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, Pat Curran said:

I see in one of the pictures there is a courtesy light lens for the rear of the 69-70 center console.  I know there are several people out there looking for one.  Can't tell what kind of shape it is in but it looks like it is in one piece.

Good eye Pat! And that coil spring is almost ready to crush it! :( I looked at those pics 4 times but did not notice the lens. ITs probably not the only one there.

console lens.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, 68RIVGS said:

Al - Badger Riviera Fan - did you see that? I know you were  after one !

Gold piece. A cast should be made. That lens can be 3D laser-printed. $$

My job has such printers but I don't have access. There may be companies that do it?

Hey Mike - look  -  he has gas pedals!

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

On March 12, 2018 at 10:09 PM, kreed said:

WTB - 1969 Riviera rear bumper filler - plastic trim piece that fits inside the bumper over the license plate - measure about 15 inches wide . Any help,would be appreciated . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

I am an idiot ! There is no way a center section filler would work since the lid to the gas tank goes up in this area when it is opened . I am enclosing a pic of mine and would appreciate any other 69 owners confirming that this is the way it should be . It just looks "incomplete when  the trunk is open and the gas lid is down . 

The console lens is a good find - looks like it is about same condition of mine so will let someone else try to score it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There is a plastic filler piece that should be there.  It was installed at the factory with 2 chrome plated screws.  There is a metal fastener on each end that joins it to both outer fillers.  The piece that you are missing is narrower than the other pieces so the flip up gas lid clears it.

1 hour ago, kreed said:

I am an idiot ! There is no way a center section filler would work since the lid to the gas tank goes up in this area when it is opened . I am enclosing a pic of mine and would appreciate any other 69 owners confirming that this is the way it should be . It just looks "incomplete when  the trunk is open and the gas lid is down . 

The console lens is a good find - looks like it is about same condition of mine so will let someone else try to score it. 

image.jpeg

My 68 is configured the same way.

Below is an extract from the 1940-1972 illustrated parts catalog showing the 68-69 Riviera rear bumper parts. The red circled part, #1387813, is the center panel kreed is referring to. Apparently it was a 1969-only part. The left and right panels on the '69 must have been year specific also. Link: Wild About Cars Online Buick Illustrated Catalog (Frame_Shocks_Springs_Bumpers)

5aaa949eba60f_68-69bumperparts.thumb.jpg.0f446a64e13bcc9d3cd63646a6a36a57.jpg

This is my '68. The left and right panels appear to be slightly different from the '69. The '69 panels appear to have an additional "step" to accommodate the center panel

attaching to them. (Yes I have a rechromed '69 gas door on my '68. It's much cooler than the plain Jane '68 door)

20170703_234846.thumb.jpg.78daf5b7c08df81c05cedb2accb96434.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

There is a plastic filler piece that should be there.  It was installed at the factory with 2 chrome plated screws.  There is a metal fastener on each end that joins it to both outer fillers.  The piece that you are missing is narrower than the other pieces so the flip up gas lid clears it.

This piece was discussed at our SE ROA meet. IMO one could be fabricated out of sheet metal. 

Perhaps coat it in Plasti-dip.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Thanks everyone  - really appreciate all the help. Guess I am not a complete idiot after all . Knew it didn't look right . If anyone has one , I would be interested . May try the fabrication route as suggested by Paul . 

KReed

ROA 14549

If it's any consolation kreed, I installed a '69 centre filler pieces in my '68 but it interfered with the gas flip filler door, so I turfed it.

. . . seemed like s good idea at the time, but you still end up with a gap above the fuel filler door, so that filler piece didn't really accomplish much ! 

3 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

If it's any consolation kreed, I installed a '69 centre filler pieces in my '68 but it interfered with the gas flip filler door, so I turfed it.

. . . seemed like s good idea at the time, but you still end up with a gap above the fuel filler door, so that filler piece didn't really accomplish much ! 

Hi Randy  - You are probably right but little crap like that drives me crazy ! So Knowing I would probably  never find one in my life time and it would bug me when I opened the trunk  , I made a piece out of 28 gauge metal and then rounded the edge where it wouldn't hit the open gas door ( at least barely if you jam it up , primed and painted it Satin Black along with the two lateral plastic fillers . It doesn't cover up much but at least there is no obvious hole there with two screw holes going no where!  Not one of the GM engineers better designs to start with though . Appreciate everyone's comments and help.

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I understand your wanting to fill that gap, with a 'stock' filler - there was a time when little tings like that really bugged me too ! 

The filler piece you have fabricated looks just as good, and those empty screw holes are finally filled with two shiny, new screws.

. . . enjoy Ken ! :)

FYI - From your photos Ken, I just noticed your trunk filler pieces are not seated properly in the lower lip along the trunk opening?

They also mount above the supports in the bumper and the screws secure them in place. The blind captive nuts  mount on the 4 bumper supports.

See Pat's trunk photo for comparison - they are properly positioned into that lower lip.

That is why the filler pieces were made from flexible abs plastic to fill the gap between the body and the bumper.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Randy  - thanks much for pointing that out - had overlooked it. I played with it this afternoon and must be doing something wrong. Does that vertical edge actually fit in the same grove as the trunk seal?  Tried to gently get it to work but the angle just didn't feel / look right so  I just punted and will have to live with it I guess . Thanks for the help.

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

The plastic filler pieces have a molded groove at the very top edge that fits right into the metal lip of the trunk opening Ken.

Pat's trunk picture shows exactly  how those plastic fillers should fit right into the metal trunk lip !

The trunk seal weather strip rubber should cover the top edge of fillers though.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

• 2 months later...