Are there any tours in California in 2018???

AB-Buff

WE drove the AACA Divisional Tour last year at northwest edge of Yosemite National Park. It was a delight and we want to support a great many more western tours and meets.

A California National AACA Tour is in the planning stages for next year, and should be a wonderful option for members from all areas of the US, Canada, and everywhere else.

AACA Tours are hosted by Local Regions / Chapters, so it is up to the locals (certainly with the assistance of national) to get the ball rolling.

Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

HCCA and AACA have continued to partner and to work together in providing the RELIABILITY TOUR for pre-1916 vehicles in Even-Numbered Years. These tours are very popular, and are yet another example of clubs working together to provide better services to our members and to the hobby.

Encouraging your club to consider hosting AACA tours in your area is the best way to further AACA tours, in addition to enjoying tours hosted by other regions.

Take the bull by the horns and be the Spark Plug in your group so that we can tour your corner of the world. We can have a great time together, and maybe even come out with a modest profit to donate to a local charity.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, Mark Shaw said:

No AACA tours, which is the primary reason I did not renew my AACA membership.   Check out the HCCA site and you will find several tours, including the HCCA national convention and tour of Yosemite.  

The story is: Tours are NOT designed and run out of Hershey.  They are planned, applied for, designed and run by Regions or people in the home area.  So then, instead of quitting, you could have done one and-or gotten your friends or Region club to join you in putting one on so you could show off your part of the USA.

IT SEEMS AS I GET OLDER I LEAVE OUT IMPORTANT WORDS MORE OFTEN...

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Tours are designed and run out of Hershey.  They are planned, applied for, designed and run by Regions or people in the home area.  So then, instead of quitting, you could have done one and-or gotten your friends or Region club to join you in putting one on so you could show off your part of the USA.

Dynaflash8,

I did exactly that by offering to help our local club sponsor an AACA national tour.  However, I learned that the tour available for our club also required a judged car show.  I was only interested in doing a tour, and there were not enough AACA members in the Northwest or on the west coast to justify it or to make it happen.  I even tried to increase the numbers by offering to invite the much larger HCCA groups, but I learned that could not happen either.  

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Dynaflash8,

" I did exactly that by offering to help our local club sponsor an AACA national tour.  However, I learned that the tour available for our club also required a judged car show."

" I even tried to increase the numbers by offering to invite the much larger HCCA groups, but I learned that could not happen either." 

This information is incorrect, from AACA anyway. You can host EITHER a Tour, OR a Meet. You ARE NOT required to do both. Marty can help you get going in the right direction. Yes AACA in Hershey can also help you get your Tour together. Personally I try to go to each AACA Tour in the West to further my love of AACA. Don't turn us away yet. 

Wayne

Just in case there is any confusion, Wayne is 100% correct.  I have no knowledge of at any time in AACA's history that we required a judged show with a tour and certainly not once in the 15 years I have held this position.  AACA is unique in the fact that we host this website for other clubs at no charge, we host library collections in our library at nominal fees and we have hosted other clubs such as CCCA, Metropolitan Club  and this year the Nash club at our meets.  We do joint tours with VMCCA and HCCA on a regular basis.  To my knowledge our board is always open to ideas that promote the hobby and if it means collaboration and it makes sense they have been open to those ideas. 

Steve Moskowitz

Executive Director

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Dynaflash8,

I did exactly that by offering to help our local club sponsor an AACA national tour.  However, I learned that the tour available for our club also required a judged car show.  I was only interested in doing a tour, and there were not enough AACA members in the Northwest or on the west coast to justify it or to make it happen.  I even tried to increase the numbers by offering to invite the much larger HCCA groups, but I learned that could not happen either.  

I don't know about all that now.  It wasn't that way in my day.  The HCCA part yes, but there have even been a couple of joint tours with them.  I just have to wonder if you understood correctly.  Oh well, I'm sorry you dropped out of AACA over it.

12 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Mark,

To be clear,  it was not AACA National who made the demand of jointly hosting both a Meet and a Tour. That could be a difficult option for even the largest, strongest, and most experienced Regions.

Isn't it more properly stated, that it was Fort Vancouver/Rose City Region which came up with that scenario?

As you and I have discussed in the past, AACA welcomes the development of touring in the Northwest, and also is open to the idea of continuing to partner with HCCA, VMCCA, CCCA, and just about any other group which could further the ideals of the antique vehicle hobby.

I would personally be delighted to welcome you back into the membership of AACA, and to assist wherever possible in developing either a Divisional, or a National Tour in your area, so rich with opportunities for our membership to enjoy.

41 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

I learned that the tour available for our club also required a judged car show

Marty & all, 

The national tours available to our local club at that time were the Glidden and Reliability Tours.  I believe it was the AACA tour chairman who suggested that I create a new tour with a new name for an AACA/HCCA combined tour rather than try to change the requirements for those established tours.  I don't think that was reasonable or realistic to ask a new AACA member.

I currently hold no office in either car club, but I will be glad to join and encourage others to participate in a combined AACA/HCCA tour on the west coast.  But first I think the AACA board needs to work on eliminating the conflicting requirements with the HCCA board to enable such combined tours to happen.  

• 3 weeks later...