Sign in to follow this  
Zimm63

63 Turn Signal Cable- fixed

For those of us who have a broken turn signal cable, help is available at http://cjsrods.com/.

CJ Lane has been repairing Saginaw columns since the early 70s.  I sent him my broken cable and he repaired it using the original ends.  The new casing is spiral wound steel as used on the later columns.  Cost was $105, including return shipping.  

My thinking is that his is an early 63 problem primarily, as there was a changed from the plastic tube to a steel casing sometime in the run.  

I installed the cable yesterday and everything is working fine.  Will see how it goes over time, but I expect this is a solved problem.  

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

For those of us who have a broken turn signal cable, help is available at http://cjsrods.com/.

CJ Lane has been repairing Saginaw columns since the early 70s.  I sent him my broken cable and he repaired it using the original ends.  The new casing is spiral wound steel as used on the later columns.  Cost was $105, including return shipping. 

:o I made one the other day for about $1 worth of materials (just to see if it could be done):

5a81e484b95e4_turnsignalcable.jpg.9bcbec215e47e7fbb238b535d62d454c.jpg

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

:o I made one the other day for about $1 worth of materials (just to see if it could be done):

5a81e484b95e4_turnsignalcable.jpg.9bcbec215e47e7fbb238b535d62d454c.jpg

What are you doing for hold down brackets?

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

What are you doing for hold down brackets?

Nothing: I just made the cable for grins.  If I needed it, though, I'd first try to reuse the old brackets (which seems to be common practice).  If that didn't work, I'd see if I could fab something up from steel sheet.