63 Turn Signal Cable- fixed

Zimm63

For those of us who have a broken turn signal cable, help is available at http://cjsrods.com/.

CJ Lane has been repairing Saginaw columns since the early 70s.  I sent him my broken cable and he repaired it using the original ends.  The new casing is spiral wound steel as used on the later columns.  Cost was $105, including return shipping.  

My thinking is that his is an early 63 problem primarily, as there was a changed from the plastic tube to a steel casing sometime in the run.  

I installed the cable yesterday and everything is working fine.  Will see how it goes over time, but I expect this is a solved problem.  

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

For those of us who have a broken turn signal cable, help is available at http://cjsrods.com/.

CJ Lane has been repairing Saginaw columns since the early 70s.  I sent him my broken cable and he repaired it using the original ends.  The new casing is spiral wound steel as used on the later columns.  Cost was $105, including return shipping. 

:o I made one the other day for about $1 worth of materials (just to see if it could be done):

5a81e484b95e4_turnsignalcable.jpg.9bcbec215e47e7fbb238b535d62d454c.jpg

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

What are you doing for hold down brackets?

Nothing: I just made the cable for grins.  If I needed it, though, I'd first try to reuse the old brackets (which seems to be common practice).  If that didn't work, I'd see if I could fab something up from steel sheet.

• 1 year later...

Gents, The hold down brackets can be fashioned from water hose clamps. No need to spend any money Needlessly, a cable of sorts has be around some place. I’m getting ready to make up a bunch of these turn signal cables with all the fittings. Many talk about the need I figure I can make them and sell them at an attractive price and even make a profit to pay for my AC parts. Joking aside I’ve seen folks in the past make /repair

parts to do a job that works.

Turbinator

Gentlemen. Are we trying to re-invent the wheel? Someone some time ago found a part number for a Chevelle (or something similar) that had the actuating wire inside a wound steel sheath.  Right length and everything. All we need to do is find that thread and get name of the supplier and the part number.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

Gentlemen. Are we trying to re-invent the wheel? Someone some time ago found a part number for a Chevelle (or something similar) that had the actuating wire inside a wound steel sheath.  Right length and everything. All we need to do is find that thread and get name of the supplier and the part number.

Ed-

This is the part that was reported previously:

https://www.ecklerschevelle.com/chevelle-turn-signal-cable-assembly-for-cars-with-tilt-steering-column-1964-1966.html

I have not purchased one the check if it works.  HAS ANYONE ELSE?

Please report experience.

• Thanks 2

The bracket at the top of the cable looks correct. The BOTTOM DOES NOT. I assume the lower bracket would have to be swapped & then secured somehow.  Maybe by soldering after getting the bracket to be in the correct position & length.