66-69 vinyl top trim

NC1968Riviera

Mr. Paul is correct - '70 Riviera , and really not that difficult to find the rear embossed panel !

The rear window stamped grain vent is common to all 2nd gen cars with the vinyl option, except '70 which doesn't have any vent louvres.

Might be a good project after you get your buckets and shift linkage under control? LOL

• Like 1

The A pillars were very prone to rusting, as they were bare steel inside. Moisture would accumulate inside the pillars, and there were no drain holes, and no place for the moisture to go.

It was common problem on all 2nd generation cars. With vinyl covering, the rust damage was less visible, before the rust 'bubbling ' would appear.

To prevent, delay, or reduce rust damage to the  A pillars, drill a small hole in the lower flat surface (... just above the door), and spray the complete interior with a rust inhibitor.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Chimera said:

I think 66 didn't extend all the way down... 

Which is why the chrome trim off the 66 that breaks the vinyl is one of the most rare pieces of chrome. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 6.00.14 PM.png

It did extend all the way down, and all vinyl top optioned 2nd generation Riviera are the same '66 - '69 !

I was talking  rear quarter pinch molding trim Gabriel, and they are all the same.

I'm no expert, on '66 or '67s, but as far as the A pillars go, I do believe they were originally factory vinyl covered with the exception of '70 Riviera.

I do know '68 and '69s were factory covered, so those cars you see now, without the A pillars covered and just painted body color are probably redone.

To recover the A pillars correctly, all the trim would have to be removed to do a proper job and that would incur more labour and expense, 

so it was probably a lot easier to leave them uncovered and repainted a matching  body color ?

Most of the '66 - '69 Riviera I  have viewed in my travels with an original vinyl top option had matching covered A pillars which I believe is correct !

The top vinyl slightly overlapped the A pillar covering with a folded seam near the top of the A pillar ! :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chimera said:

Thanks for elucidating that Randy and Kevin.

3 hours ago, rivgs said:

66 and 70  A pillars were not covered, 67-69 were covered by the vinyl top. The 66 used a stainless steel piece  to edge the vinyl top, 70 used a plastic piece that matched the vinyl top.

I stand corrected Kevin, Thanks - you just never stop learning about these cars !

. . . and I've seen some pictures of '66s with the vinyl option, and covered A pillars too.  :blink: