Installing center armrest on a 65

Guest Mr Jones

Guest Mr Jones

My car came with few options, not including the rear center armrest

I have found a used asembly that seems in pretty good shape, and I can get the white vinyl from Clarks Corvette, thanks to Tom Kunek for the advice.

I would have it reupholstered professionally.

What I would hope to to know is whether the installation after the fact is non-destructive,

....and if there are any guides around for doing this job.

Also, I can only assume this available part is complete, so I will appreciate anyone with a discerning eye checking the the photo for completeness.

So much to learn!

Thank you

IMG_460.jpeg

20170815_090601.jpg

20170815_090606.jpg

Edited by Mr Jones (see edit history)

Hi Mr. Jones

This is a very interesting topic 'cos I just bought the same back center arm rest few days ago for my 65 Riv... I'm actually waiting for the delivery.

Like you I would have it reupholstered professionally by SMSAutofabrics.com, who already made my seat covers in an outstanding quality. At the moment I have no clue how to do the installation (I have to restore the mechanical stuff in a first step).

I will follow this thread and post my issues during my restoration.

Guest Mr Jones
2 hours ago, RivNut said:

You'll have to pull the seat bottom to install it.  The section bolts to the bottom frame.  You're lucky in that the small piece that goes under the speaker was part of the deal. 

Thank you for this assurance Ed.

I think he wants too much for it though at $400 plus shipping to Australia

I have to decide whether it is worth that much money.

Guest Mr Jones
2 hours ago, riv2x4 said:

I did the same with my 64 with a new cover from Clark's.  Not difficult at all and Rivnut is correct about the part under the speaker.

armrest.jpg.dabfb32864d4412bcfa6aead7c43a35d.jpg

armrest down.jpg

armrest up.jpg

This looks really good.  My other idea was to make an upholstered courtesy box to fill the negative space.  This might work out to be a lot less money.   Does the Clarks set include all the various end tags and miscellaneous flaps etc?

Edited by Mr Jones
Request for more detail (see edit history)

Guest Mr Jones
9 hours ago, riv2x4 said:

I did the same with my 64 with a new cover from Clark's.  Not difficult at all and Rivnut is correct about the part under the speaker.

armrest.jpg.dabfb32864d4412bcfa6aead7c43a35d.jpg

armrest down.jpg

armrest up.jpg

It will not be cost effective for me here in Australia to go this route, though it might be of interest to someone here.

His name is Tim. He has a herd of Rivs he is parting out here in case anyone is interested,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161349007119

8 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

Thank you for this assurance Ed.

Yes, $400.00 is a lot, but these arm rests are quite rare to find in a +/- good condition... They are all sold between $300.00 and $600.00 depending on the condition :o-_-
I paid for mine $350.00 and will have to restore it...

20205686_1441242345941793_1607348869_o.thumb.jpg.8c1d30dc091a28b3567967e028de8523.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mr Jones said:

His name is Tim. He has a herd of Rivs he is parting out here in case anyone is interested,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161349007119

I know Tim Sweely, he's located in Roseville in CA.
He's a very nice guy and I already bought some parts at Rivi Central (his Shop for Riviera parts from '63 - '67). Fair prices, fast shipping and he has a very good service...
You can find him also here:
http://www.rivicentral.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Rivi-Central-185684528117758/

Mr Jones,

Tim helped me with a wheel arch moulding and rear quarter moulding for my '63. He was prompt and accurate with his photos of what he had and price seemed about right ( whatever that means) . When they arrived reasonably promptly, extremely well packaged for defence against any postal employee, they were what they were, nice clean mouldings.

When you have a Riviera, prices for bits sometime seem steep, but after a while you get a sense of what is fair value and what is obscene. It certainly ain't no Chevy or Mustang where bits are two bob a dozen. First generation bits are sought after so they command good prices, but you just have to weigh up the value vs the cost. 

Keep an an eye on Evilbay and email a few suppliers and you will do ok. I don't intend to sit in the back, so a rear armrest is not high on my list. 

Besides, it's only money and you can't take it with you. Haven't seen too many hearses towing a trailer ????

just  my two bobs worth.

Rodney

Ps does Mr Jones have a first name or is it strictly formal ?

Guest Mr Jones
48 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Mr Jones,

Tim helped me with a wheel arch moulding and rear quarter moulding for my '63. He was prompt and accurate with his photos of what he had and price seemed about right ( whatever that means) . When they arrived reasonably promptly, extremely well packaged for defence against any postal employee, they were what they were, nice clean mouldings.

When you have a Riviera, prices for bits sometime seem steep, but after a while you get a sense of what is fair value and what is obscene. It certainly ain't no Chevy or Mustang where bits are two bob a dozen. First generation bits are sought after so they command good prices, but you just have to weigh up the value vs the cost. 

Keep an an eye on Evilbay and email a few suppliers and you will do ok. I don't intend to sit in the back, so a rear armrest is not high on my list. 

Besides, it's only money and you can't take it with you. Haven't seen too many hearses towing a trailer ????

just  my two bobs worth.

Rodney

Ps does Mr Jones have a first name or is it strictly formal ?

Thank you Rodney - I spoke with others here in Australia and while the price was not unreasonable, the exchange rate, plus shipping , plus upholstering was all adding up to a silly amount of money. 

Mr Jones is my real stage name, as a singer in restaurants etc.  You can find me on Facebook under Mr Jones Music.

In my quasi retired life I still make a bit of a living from music and photography.   The 65 Riviera is part of the business plan.

Costs are mostly depending on how is your passion for your car! :D 

My 65 is like my baby... she deserves the best! 

1 hour ago, Mr Jones said:

Besides, it's only money and you can't take it with you.

Rodney is right, it's only money...

Like Jason Zerbini always says: 

"Buy Once - Cry Once, the Quality remains long after - the price is forgotten"  :lol:

On the pics of the arm rest with 1964 white interior, is the black paint on the panel below the speaker and

on the area below the armrest correct? On my original interior  1965  these pieces match the upholstery color of dark green.

Also it is clear in the pics of the unrestored parts that they were originally painted white.

DSCN0169.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Would need to see one that was factory installed and know the model year.  As we know, many small, not always so obvious, differences between first gen model years and even some intra year running changes.

I probably did the conversion 15 years ago maybe???  Best info available at the time probably told me black was correct.

17 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

That's also a good question with these armrests.  It's a cool option (I think it makes the back seat look nicer), but they seem to often appeal to those who are retroactively acquiring every factory doodad that was ever offered.

As a practical matter, how often will you have people in the back seat?  As a financial matter, the armrest alone now costs as much as I paid for my whole car. :D

Guest Mr Jones
3 hours ago, KongaMan said:

That's also a good question with these armrests.  It's a cool option (I think it makes the back seat look nicer), but they seem to often appeal to those who are retroactively acquiring every factory doodad that was ever offered.

As a practical matter, how often will you have people in the back seat?  As a financial matter, the armrest alone now costs as much as I paid for my whole car. :D

In the end the price he wanted was probably fair for US buyer given the experiences of others. Through the lens of the Australian dollar which is currently pretty weak, not so much.

I have let Tim know that the parts have been publicised here.

Guest Mr Jones
6 hours ago, Schmiddy said:

Btw: I couldn't find any soundtrack on your FB profile Mr. Jones. What kind of music are you playing/singing?
Long, very long time ago, I made my living with music too... (But I don't play anymore)

I am a bit slack like that, I must get around to it.

I have plans for a video shoot with the Riviera once the weather warms up here, as it is still winter.

I am basically a deep voiced crooner with a slight country edge, somewhere between Johnny Cash and Dean Martin. :)

I am best known for covering singers such as Cash, The National's Matt Berninger, Australia's Nick Cave and such.

I am fairly low key on the promotional side and work mostly by word of mouth, which I prefer.

17 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

I am a bit slack like that, I must get around to it.

I have plans for a video shoot with the Riviera once the weather warms up here, as it is still winter.

I am basically a deep voiced crooner with a slight country edge, somewhere between Johnny Cash and Dean Martin. :)

I am best known for covering singers such as Cash, The National's Matt Berninger, Australia's Nick Cave and such.

I am fairly low key on the promotional side and work mostly by word of mouth, which I prefer.

Sounds great! :D ...post that vid here once it is done! ^_^ 

Guest Mr Jones
8 hours ago, Schmiddy said:

Sounds great! :D ...post that vid here once it is done! ^_^ 

Thanks Schmiddy!

Meanwhile I have decided not to attempt to make a center console myself covered with vinyl from Clark Corvair.

The shipping charges are considerably more than the cost of the material, so I have decided just to leave it as it is.

1 hour ago, Mr Jones said:

Meanwhile I have decided not to attempt to make a center console myself covered with vinyl from Clark Corvair.

The shipping charges are considerably more than the cost of the material, si I have decided just to leave it as it is.

I can understand your decision very well... 

I live in Switzerland and the behavior about charges is nothing new to me! :lol: For every part I need from the US, I always pay so much more for shipping fees, taxes, extras for foreigner bank transactions and so on, I stoppt to count quite early...  (otherwise I should sell the car and start an other hobby! :huh:
For me, my Riv is a deep emotional thing, if I start to think about what I spent already...  no better not!!! :P

To leave the idea of a self made console is nothing bad, your interior looks pretty neat anyway, so... In any case the threads were very interesting, so thanks for that!