How to eliminate vacuum tank temporarily

I need to work on the vacuum tank on my '22 touring, but have some other projects going at the moment.  Until I get a round tuit, could anybody suggest a convenient way to eliminate the vacuum tank temporarily, so I can move the vehicle?

Sorry if this is trivial, but a good way to do this is just not occurring to me at the moment. Thanks very much.

The carb is gravity fed from the vacuum tank.  If you just want to be able to move the vehicle mount a small tank where the vacuum tank goes and plumb it to the carb.  You'll be able to run the car until the tank runs out.

• Like 1

Have you got a motorboat gas tank? I use one for moving cars around and starting motors when the gas tank or fuel pump is out. You can put the gas tank on the car floor, run a clear plastic hose to the carb and use the hand pump to fill the line and carb. Once the line is full the fuel will run by gravity if the tank is higher than the carburetor. Remember Ford had the gas tank under the seat and gravity feed, in the model T.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now I remember what I meant to ask you guys.  The problem I am having with the vacuum tank is that fuel is entering the vacuum line, running down into the throttle area and flooding the engine.  What do you think of the idea of removing the vacuum line between the vacuum tank and the throttle area, plugging the holes it was connected to, putting a little gas in the vacuum tank and then using the vacuum tank as my "temporary tank" in order to move the vehicle? That should work, shouldn't it?

That is one way or just disconnect the line from the tank to the vac tank and that will stop the gasoline from going into the engine and flooding it Also remove the top of the tank and check to see if the brass seats have not come loose This is the main cause of the problem you are having

Thanks a lot, Ron. You sound like you really know a lot about these cars. However, I think I'm going to plug the hole in the throttle area because leaving it open would cause a big intake vacuum leak.

I will check the brass seats in the vacuum tank ASAP! Thanks for the tip.

The vacuum tank is a pretty tricky item to rebuild . Most are Stewart tanks and over the years they developed a variety of valves, check valves, spring loaded levers and floats to get everything working. Some of the internal parts are white metal and break easily if you are not careful. A friend operating a '27 Pontiac had the same flooding problem recently and wound up with gas getting into the oil pan, not a good idea. A simple 1 quart gas can suspended from the hood support braces usually works well, will allow you to drive 10 miles around the yard (only works in Texas where I understand yards are that big!!)