Brandon Todd

364 4bbl Intake and Carb

Recommended Posts

I know these are kind of hard to find, but I'll get my ad out anyway:

I'm looking for a 4 barrel intake and carburetor for my 1957 364 nailhead. If i am unable to get a hold of an original without cutting off an arm and a leg, does anybody remake these parts? Also, does any other 4 barrel intake from other years/makes fit onto the 364 nailhead?

 

Thanks so much for any help. I'd appreciate it!

-BT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intakes match as follows 264/322, 364, 401/425. So any 364 manifold should fit. Good luck with the carburetor! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to expand on what Beemon said, the 364 nailhead engine was used up to 1960. (61's?not sure) 

Good luck on your quest. They're out there.

Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Rochester 4-GC and Carter AFB carbs were used.

 

The Rochesters, while not growing on trees, ARE available with a little searching, and not overly expensive.

 

The Carter AFBs are a totally different story. Why? Because the AFB casting used on the late 1950's Buicks is similar (NOT the same, but close) to the castings used by Pontiac on their early 1960's Super Duty. The folks building "almost" Super Dutys buy the Buick cores for the lower casting, the mid-1960's 340 Buick cores for the upper casting, reproduction throttle arms, and a calibration kit for WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less than a pair of genuine Super Duty cores (if one can even find Super Duty cores).

 

Jon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice thing about the 364 and up is that, in the event that you cannot find a carburetor anytime soon, any modern aftermarket carburetor will bolt up without an adapter. Might need a bit of toying, but other have had success with the Edelbrock 600cfm carb even on 322s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

depends if you have the 250 HP eng or 300 HP engine  ..if you have the 300HP  engine with larger intake manifold ports & exhaust ports  these  401,425 below will fit     ..if you want to see more,,, type in ebay .... "nailhead manifold"...  if your car has the 4 BBL from factory  ..you may just have the 300HP eng .....But then again these cars were made to order & some people did order 4 BBL carbs on their 250HP engines..  most larger wheel base cars (super, Roadmaster) did get the bigger HP engines...so  to properly find out  if you either have the 300HP or 250HP engine  ...measure the intake ports .

 When buying (intake gaskets only) for 1957/58 buick some sellers do stipulate (40-50) & either (60-70) series ...not many sellers, mechanics, buick fanatics etc etc know that there are 2 types ...     AND also when you purchase a new complete eng gasket kit  you will get the 60-70 series intake gasket.      I`ve been there & stumbled on this intake gasket  phenomena from wayback..& my eyebrows went down  like i hated the world..!! especially when these supposed experts whom sell these gaskets failed to know this themselves ! 

Your factory chassis repair manual also shows the differences in the 250HP & 300HP engines.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Nailhead-Original-4-Barrel-Intake-Manifold-1375549-401-425-/271947862424?hash=item3f515b1198:g:AKMAAOSwd4tTthKz&vxp=mtr

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-4-Barrel-Intake-Manifold-Nailhead-Original-1363782-401/252794025382?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dc1c5fceccf4a4117bfe41e6cff330d29%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271947862424&autorefresh=true

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401-425-Buick-nailhead-4-barrel-intake-1353241-for-1957-58-59-60-61-62-63/162410014959?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dc1c5fceccf4a4117bfe41e6cff330d29%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271947862424

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Nailhead-Original-4-Barrel-Intake-Manifold-1363782-401-425-Hot-Rod/142261094333?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dc1c5fceccf4a4117bfe41e6cff330d29%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271947862424

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Nailhead-Original-4-Barrel-Intake-Manifold-1375549-401-425-Hot-Rod-Ivo/191282640208?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dc1c5fceccf4a4117bfe41e6cff330d29%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271947862424

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!  Thank you for that detailed reply with several links! I would totally hop on one of those, but i think I have the 250 HP engine. It's the factory engine in a 57 special 4dr ht. Currently it has the 2bbl setup. So im guessing i gave to have the 364-specific intake.

Edited by Brandon Todd (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

be very hard to find a 4bbl manifold to suit a 250HP eng  unless you match port  your inlet chambers on your heads to the 300HP manifold which is not difficult. ...otherwise   change your heads to the 300HP type.

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The heads easy to get ahold of? (I havent done much research on that yet)

1 minute ago, coupekid said:

be very hard to find a 4bbl manifold to suit a 250HP eng  unless you port out your inport chambers on your heads ...or   change your heads to the 300HP type.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there have been  heads from a 58 for sale on ebay  for $299 ea ..whether  they are from a 300HP im not sure ...but you could purchase  401 or 425 heads to boost your HP...401 425 heads will bolt straight on your 364ci  block no probs ...theres a guy or there was a guy selling a 364 eng  with 425 heads    you might find that under 58 buick engine

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont see any of these  head ADS  on atm  so check in time to time ..  but did find a  1957 buick 4bbl carb for $79  with 4 hrs to go

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-BUICK-ROADMASTER-CENTURY-SUPER-364-7011570-ROCHESTER-4-JET-CARB-AC-7-DATE-/252910186609?hash=item3ae29f3071:g:z3AAAOSwX61ZBmo3&vxp=mtr

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, coupekid said:

i dont see any of these  head ADS  on atm  so check in time to time ..  but did find a  1957 buick 4bbl carb for $79  with 4 hrs to go

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-BUICK-ROADMASTER-CENTURY-SUPER-364-7011570-ROCHESTER-4-JET-CARB-AC-7-DATE-/252910186609?hash=item3ae29f3071:g:z3AAAOSwX61ZBmo3&vxp=mtr

UPDATE: Bought this carburetor. Only the intake to go! Thanks coupekid for the hookup in this! Very appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brandon,

 

Contact Russ Martin at www.nailheadbuick.com about his adapters for mounting 401/425 I takes on a 364.  In  all the years I've been playing with Buicks (drove a 55 Special to high school in 62) I've never heard of what coupekid is talking about.  The problem is the differences in deck heights between the 364 and the 401/425.  The longer stroke 401/425 has a taller deck height.  As the deck height gets taller, the intake ports get farther apart.  Look at the "nailhead casting numbers" reference on the Team Buick website.  It gives you the distance between bolt holes across the intake.  Caveat emptor.

 

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/casting_numbers_nailhead.php

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Brandon,

 

Contact Russ Martin at www.nailheadbuick.com about his adapters for mounting 401/425 I takes on a 364.  In  all the years I've been playing with Buicks (drove a 55 Special to high school in 62) I've never heard of what coupekid is talking about.  The problem is the differences in deck heights between the 364 and the 401/425.  The longer stroke 401/425 has a taller deck height.  As the deck height gets taller, the intake ports get farther apart.  Look at the "nailhead casting numbers" reference on the Team Buick website.  It gives you the distance between bolt holes across the intake.  Caveat emptor.

 

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/casting_numbers_nailhead.php

Thanks for the reply! Have you ever bought an adapter from Russ? Ive called him up before and bought some freeze plugs from him.

Edited by Brandon Todd (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, always drove the cars as delivered.  55 Special to high school as a sophomore in 62, 57 Century to high school in 65 as a senior.  Many Wildcat and Rivieras since then.  The only swap I did, once, was a 66 Qjet intake and carb to 64 Riviera.  Both had 425s.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Brandon Todd said:

I know these are kind of hard to find, but I'll get my ad out anyway:

I'm looking for a 4 barrel intake and carburetor for my 1957 364 nailhead. If i am unable to get a hold of an original without cutting off an arm and a leg, does anybody remake these parts? Also, does any other 4 barrel intake from other years/makes fit onto the 364 nailhead?

 

Thanks so much for any help. I'd appreciate it!

-BT

Funny you should ask! Please PM if still interested. I had heard smaller valves 57-58, than later, 59 first year 401, so that makes sense, but port size difference is a new one for me? Do you have dual exhaust? Back in the day I think Buick like Chev had power pack options for duals and four barrels on Specials, just rumors I've heard. Driverside Dual exhaust manifold 57-58 only and only diff those years I know of 58, I believe has bigger studs to attach headpipes than 57. Anywho, have it all if wanted. If you go much further a 401 originally in front of a dynaflow is relatively simple! I don't know if I buy that hp diff tho? 250 hp 2 brl 364", 300 hp 4brl 364", only 325 hp for 4 brl 401"? Hmmm? Numbers game? Good luck on your project!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2carb40 said:

Funny you should ask! Please PM if still interested. I had heard smaller valves 57-58, than later, 59 first year 401, so that makes sense, but port size difference is a new one for me? Do you have dual exhaust? Back in the day I think Buick like Chev had power pack options for duals and four barrels on Specials, just rumors I've heard. Driverside Dual exhaust manifold 57-58 only and only diff those years I know of 58, I believe has bigger studs to attach headpipes than 57. Anywho, have it all if wanted. If you go much further a 401 originally in front of a dynaflow is relatively simple! I don't know if I buy that hp diff tho? 250 hp 2 brl 364", 300 hp 4brl 364", only 325 hp for 4 brl 401"? Hmmm? Numbers game? Good luck on your project!

PM sent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:Pmaybe not on a 401 & 425ci ...but intake ports differ on 364ci between 250HP & 300HP engine... I own 2 ..1957 Buicks 250HP... 3 months ago i purchased a complete engine gasket set for 364ci Buick 1957.. when i compared my old  2 steel original inlet manifold gaskets off my 2bbl 250HP eng the port size cutouts were much smaller than the new inlet manifold gaskets that were sent in the new kit..  thus i couldnt use them .. when i restored my first 1957 buick 20 yrs ago i had the same problem , gasket kit back then also came with larger port steel  intake gaskets ...I still own both 1957 Buicks !!  

here is a link below that is for intake gasket set  for sale & stipulates  on the box from factory its for 1957 Buick 40 series only..    

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fel-Pro-Manifold-Gasket-Set-Intake-MS-9428-SH-Buick-V8-40-Series-1957-1959-/282062698798?hash=item41ac3f392e:g:B-EAAOSwLnBXWIIq&vxp=mtr

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand what coupekid is saying about differences in the 57 heads, but intake I tech a gesture is all dependent on the deck height of the block.  Call Russ, Tom, Or Carmen.  They'll set you straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked.  There's a 57 four barrel intake on eBay right now.  Type in "Buick nailhead intake", there's no mention of cubic inches.  Check casting numbers first though.

 

Ed

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1957-BUICK-NAILHEAD-4-BARREL-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-1173313-/311865837465?hash=item489ca70799:g:uR0AAOSwTM5Y6oYe&vxp=mtr

Edited by RivNut
Added eBay link (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY THAT 4BBL MANIFOLD  !!!

 

Dont buy that 4BBl manifold unless you either buy the 364ci heads with 300HP or match port your 2BBL heads to this 4BBL  !!

 

 The under-side of the 4BBL intake mentioned for sale by ED, is the top pic shown here below... now check out the pic below that...it is of a 2BBL from a 1957 Buick also ..you can find this also on ebay ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-364-Nailhead-Intake-Manifold-/152509864127?fits=Year%3A1957|Make%3ABuick&hash=item23824bd8bf:g:KE4AAOSw32lYoMLZ&vxp=mtr

 

look at the difference in port sizes ...                  like i said ..not many nailhead engine fanatics realise there is this difference   

 

 

 

 

1957 intake 4bbl.jpg

1957 intake 2bbl.jpg

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now