Ford Retractable Owners or Mechanics?

victorialynn2

VL2 the only thing I know about retractable is they are complicated. I was able to pull a hydraulic motor out of one in a junk yard back in the late  60s. We used it as the shift motor in a 49 Chris craft constellation yarcht I restored. Good luck finding someone that knows anything about them. 

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

VL2 the only thing I know about retractable is they are complicated. I was able to pull a hydraulic motor out of one in a junk yard back in the late  60s. We used it as the shift motor in a 49 Chris craft constellation yarcht I restored. Good luck finding someone that knows anything about them. 

There were no hydraulics in the 1957-59 Ford retractables. The mechanism was entirely mechanically driven with electric motors, ball screws, and drive cables that look like speedo cables.

• Like 1

Just now, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

Dad had a '66 Lincoln conv.

He bought shop manuals and from that, taught himself to fix what ever went wrong with the myraid relays, motors, pumps, cylinders and limit switches.

Get the shop manuals , and learn from them. 

Luckily I have lots of manuals. Just haven't studied them. Yet. 

• Like 1

Dad left me lots of cars to take care of. I've learned 6. Sold them too. This one I'm keeping so it's been on the back burner but I will get there. He's still with me but has Alzheimer's so can't help me. I'm a determined daughter though! I have had so much help here and eternally grateful for that!

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

My Dad passed in 2011.

During his last years , Dad suffered from Lewey's bodies dementia.

Dementia is dreadful malady.

You and your Dad are in my prayers.

Dad's last words to me, 

"Take care of your Mama. And, take care of my car."

So sorry. Thank you for your kind words. My dad forgot his cars but not before we had some conversations about a plan. 

When I came to check on him for a week, stayed 5 months and got some legal stuff done and a plan he said:

"are you married?" No

"do you have a boyfriend?" I just broke up with one after 10 years. 

"You better get one quick that's a mechanic". 

Then I said, "where are the cars dad?" I didn't know he still had so many. 

It has been an adventure the last 3 years. lol 

• Like 1

Guest BillP
9 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

There were no hydraulics in the 1957-59 Ford retractables. The mechanism was entirely mechanically driven with electric motors, ball screws, and drive cables that look like speedo cables.

I know nothing about these cars. The above conversation reminds me of the old Arlo Guthrie song where he admits to the sheriff that he put an envelop with his name on it under a pile of garbage. Maybe some old mechanic converted the junkyard retractable to hydraulic before SC38DLS got on the scene.

Just having a laugh, everyone have a great Saturday!

Well that shows you how much I know about them.  The convertible top motor came out of a wrecked Ford of that era as that is what CC used in the boats to shift the trans on the Chevy V8 engines from forward to reverse. You had to remember to do it long before you wanted the boat to stop when pulling into a slip as they took time to work. 

1 hour ago, ragtop4two said:

VL2, you should write a book on your adventure. I personally find your topics interesting and I'm sure others here do also. Best wishes for you and your father.

Thanks for your kind wishes. I often wished I would have kept a diary these past three years. Truth be told I was too overwhelmed although it did occur to me I should do it. 

When things settle, I may write down some stories from my childhood and as an adult that relate to my father. 

VL2, I have a book that I read a couple of years ago titled ''Big Sid's Vincati'' about a father and son who built a motorcycle together, a combination of a Vincent Black Shadow and a Ducati GT. It's a true story by Matthew Biberman. Big Sid and Matthew were on Jay Leno's Garage a few years back. Unfortunately Big Sid passed away a couple of years ago. 

I'm sure your book would be even more interesting and would also be in my collection if you chose to write it.

• Like 1

Thank you Sir. I have often thought of what I would title such a book. 

Stuck in Harper

Dad and his cars

I can't fix a flat

I have stories but no Title! 

(Hey wait... Maybe the last one. Haha)

I'd take suggestions. Actually, I think I made a thread on that once asking for help. 

I have watched many Lifetime movies to zone out from the realities of life, thinking, "I could write a much more interesting movie about my dad!"  Then I think for another moment and suppose I'm a bit prejudice and not sure the rest of the world really would be that interested. Not that any of you watch those movies of course, but for me a little fluff story once in a while is probably attuned to y'all tinkering with your autos. A nice way to break up a day. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

A guy around here had a couple and offered to help others.

But he retracted the offer.

You just had to relay that information to us, didn't you? 

I find it amusing that, at every show where a retractable is shown, the top gets stuck about halfway down, so they just display it that way....isn't that the reason??

• Like 1

See, told you so, and the owners are so frustrated that they just think, the heck with it, will just polish it more and no one will notice our tops don't work!  These guys keep me in suspense, up? down?  working?  One never knows....