Engine compartment bracket color question on a '63

JanZverina

Think of it this way. Is the bracket bolted to the block using a torqued head bolt or other bolt that would have to have been in place during the test run on the engine?  If so, it's probably painted engine color.  If it's a bracket for an accessory that could be mounted after the test run, then it could possibly be painted a different color. There's no way that a seal would have been broken on an engine that had been tested to add a bracket.

Ed

I don't know for certain about 63. Being a first year model there were many small differences vs following years so wouldn't want to assume. On the 66 that bracket is black. Since the bracket bolts on using one of the motor mount bolts, it would not have been on engine when it was painted because the motor mount was not on either at that time. I'd contact ROA tech Advisor Jim Cannon to be sure.

I will add I've seen the bracket incorrectly painted fairly often on cars that have been freshened up under the hood.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

IMHO, the question of proper colors for accessories (i.e. anything not torqued and/or required to run the engine) is interesting.

You've got:

- compressor brackets

- PS brackets

- Alternator brackets

I've always opted for green for parts that are held down with a critical, torqued bolt, using the "torque it, then paint it" rationale explained earlier.  Everything else is black.

I guess the question is whether that's correct. ;)  Are there any bolted-on-later brackets that are known to be green?

I believe on a 63 the engine was silver originally, but yes, I think what has been said about the factory torquing the necessary parts of the engine to function, then painting is correct :).....of course none of my stuff is stock, except my Cadillac, and that's how its engine is painted. 

Lucas

Edited by Black River (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Jan,

I checked with Jim Cannon on this as I was curious. He confirmed the support bracket is silver (engine color) in 63. In a recent process of selling an original 64 engine, I found the same bracket to be engine color (green).

Hi Jason and Tom,

I took a good look at mine during reassembly and did some judicial paint removal on one section and never found any black paint on it. I would concur with Jim that it was engine color. Tom, I can see your preference but one can hardly see the bracket from up top.

Thanks, all.