NC pole barn

Glad to see someone making progress.  I have been battling winter here.  If we aren't plowing snow,  we are chisseling the ice that comes after each storm. Rain is never good the day after it's -10.  Then in my free time,  I work on the rebuilt heater I just bought in the other garage that keeps going out.   I was able to get a few minutes to replace the new block heater I put in my tractor last year and never got to use,  with another new one (different brand) as the other new one had issues causing antifreeze to run out the plug.  WTF.  

Boy I sure hope global warming really kicks into high gear as I cant take much more fun.  

Keep us posted.  It's nice to see someone actually get something done. 

Are you going with a row of blocks around the bottom?  I know when you put the building frame right on the slab you can sometimes have water leach in through the walls,  that doesn't happen as much with a row of blocks around the bottom all cemented in. You will want to at a minimum invest in some grave for the eaves to drip in to help drain the water away especially in non sandy soil.  What kind of overhang did they spec it for?  

7 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Are you going with a row of blocks around the bottom?  I know when you put the building frame right on the slab you can sometimes have water leach in through the walls,  that doesn't happen as much with a row of blocks around the bottom all cemented in. You will want to at a minimum invest in some grave for the eaves to drip in to help drain the water away especially in non sandy soil.  What kind of overhang did they spec it for?  

No blocks.  No specs. Just a cheap internet building. If they didn't already have my deposit, I woulda cancelled it all as our government is walloping me with the tax bills, not done paying last year yet (Stay tuned as something will have to be for sale soon).  When I recover I may put gravel tracks under the eaves along with a gravel driveway to the building.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

I think my Brother went 24 by 24 with his and really regrets not going the 27 as with a bench in the back and a stairway he has trouble fitting a 69 Ranchero and his f150 regular cab long bed in it.   Doesn't leave him with much room to actually work.   Dad and I tried to tell him to go just that little bit bigger. 

I went huge so I have plenty of space,  I just didn't realize how much more everything costs and how much more time it takes to finish each phase.  Seems I never have both the time and money at the same time to get much done. 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

No blocks.  No specs. Just a cheap internet building. If they didn't already have my deposit, I woulda cancelled it all as our government is walloping me with the tax bills, not done paying last year yet (Stay tuned as something will have to be for sale soon).  When I recover I may put gravel tracks under the eaves along with a gravel driveway to the building.

I had the same experience. I was going to put a simple storage building with no electricity, no water, no heat, no nothing and the local government wanted to TRIPLE my taxes.  I said that it would not happen and I did not build the building.  Instead I just bought some 40' shipping containers to keep the vehicles in.  No tax consequences.  I still have my small 20x30 building to work in.  No change in taxes.

• Like 3

Our taxes went up with my building but hopefully not by too much.   Atleast they haven't so far, but I do see an adjustment in overall value of what I put down for the cost of the building. 

The only problem with storage containers is if you have anything nice they can sweat especially with the temp swings we have been having from -15 to 45 in 2 days with 6 inches of rain. 

Storage containers wouldn't look to good up here at the house either.

The wife also had to like what I was doing and she was not exactly happy about the garage I'm building,  but is a little less agitated since I located it buried somewhat out of site and what I'm building has a little style. 

With the way the weather has been this winter though,  I'm about ready to sell and move somewhere south.  Your neck of the woods is starting to look pretty darn attractive. 

I can run my internet business from just about any place the USPS delivers. 

IMG_7546.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

• Like 1

I'll trade you weather.  I just got rolling on my siding again today,  but we are suppose to get 12 to 16 inches of snow so there goes my momentum.  A couple of days to get everything cleaned up,  then the roof that just bared up so I don't have to work under the eves dripping will have to melt all over again.  At barely 32 for a high,  they don't melt fast enough to really clean them off for several weeks.  Takes a good warm up to do that. 

• 2 months later...

Definitely faster than I'm getting mine done.  

You'll probably want to limb those trees a bit more. They really grow fast.   I know I left a few too many when I built mine.  Now when the wind blows and I look at my 100 foot 3 foot diameter pine swaying in the breeze,  I think wow should have probably taken just a few more. 

Of course when you go into a wooded area and clear every tree (many that were 70 to 80 foot tall) for a 130 by 100 foot area you start wincing a bit saying ,  wow that definitely changed the look of the property.  

You won't know what to do with all that extra  space  after working in your old garage. 

Thanks!  As far as the tree goes that Eastern red cedar is almost a hundred years old if not already. I would just hate to cut it down. I stayed up last night and etch the concrete floors so I could epoxy today

3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

It wouldn't be bad if you were spraying it,  but I have a feeling a brush is out of the question and seems like they would stick to the roller. Maybe turn the fan on in the door and slowly dump them into the breeze.   Reposition the fan as needed. ;) 

Good luck. 

no I was just saying my OCD is kicking in about getting them spread evenly....  Doesn't matter now... It just rained and the building leaked... The new epoxy is ruined.  Not sure why I try.

Must be I'm rubbing off on you.  Everything I do,  right or wrong seems to go south.  I painted all my doors.  Sprayed them so I wouldn't have brush strokes with automotive paint.  Now it's lifting off the grilles and the glass dropped in the doors after I painted them so there is a 3/8 inch white strip across the top of each door.  

My board and batten siding started curling right off the building though I put it up with what I thought the cup being the right way.  So I pulled that down and put up new ones with a very prominent cup and screwed them all on with deck screws. We also pre stained all the siding.  Then after having them stacked for 2 years,  the stickers we stacked them with all left marks so we have to stain the whole thing over when we are done.   Got a flat tire on teh lift the other day and it started comign off the rim.  Spent 2 days trying to get that back on and aired up.  

See I told you my bad luck might be contagious. 

20 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Must be I'm rubbing off on you.  Everything I do,  right or wrong seems to go south.  I painted all my doors.  Sprayed them so I wouldn't have brush strokes with automotive paint.  Now it's lifting off the grilles and the glass dropped in the doors after I painted them so there is a 3/8 inch white strip across the top of each door.  

My board and batten siding started curling right off the building though I put it up with what I thought the cup being the right way.  So I pulled that down and put up new ones with a very prominent cup and screwed them all on with deck screws. We also pre stained all the siding.  Then after having them stacked for 2 years,  the stickers we stacked them with all left marks so we have to stain the whole thing over when we are done.   Got a flat tire on teh lift the other day and it started comign off the rim.  Spent 2 days trying to get that back on and aired up.  

See I told you my bad luck might be contagious. 

Gosh, that is terrible.  Sounds like the only luck you have is bad luck.  Hope things get better.

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Gosh, that is terrible.  Sounds like the only luck you have is bad luck.  Hope things get better.

You learn to roll with the punches.  The funny part ,  if you want to call it that, is whenever I do work for other people it always comes out great, but stuff for myself never does.  

You said your garage leaked.  What leaked the roof or did you have water run in around the base?  It didn't look like alot of drainage in the photos if you get one of those real turd floaters like we had last night.  I always worry about snow sliding off and then rain running in along the base as well.  

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

You learn to roll with the punches.  The funny part ,  if you want to call it that, is whenever I do work for other people it always comes out great, but stuff for myself never does.  

Been there, done that on my stuff verses other stuff.  Know the pain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got to love having power.  I'm running off the other garage with a 100 foot extension cord.   I can't wait for the day I can have outlets every 4 foot and lights on a switch.  It will be nice to get my big blast cabinet out of my storage trailer and put it back to use. 

Of course that's after I pour my floor most likely and scrape up the 10G it's going to cost to electrify the shop as I have to run a new service quite possibly a few hundred feet through our nice solid rocky soil. \

You mentioned you had a leak on your floor when you finished it.  What caused it?  

Lack of flashing caused the leak.  I'm running all my own power. I'll have about 1k in it when done. But not having a whole new service from the electric company just a sub panel off my other garage.

I plan on doing much of mine myself,  but I still have to have an electrician (to make the building inspectors happy) set it up.  I have a few friends that are Electricians so I'm pretty sure I can do much of the work and they will just give me some pointers and help me if i get stuck on something. (One I Straightened and polished a bunch of the trim on his 65 Skylark project so he still owes me.)  I've done most of my own electrical to date on other projects, including completely rewiring our old house with an apartment over the garage,  Which I gutted when we moved in.  It's usually pretty basic unless you are trying to do some tricky.  Just keeping up with the latest codes sometimes becomes a problem if you aren't up on everything. 

I haven't even sat down to get a firm number but figured like everything on the project, figure high because it rarely ever comes in low.   I Imagine just the wire in the garage will be well over 1G.  Lighting another G or more likely 2 for LED lights.  

Small is not always bad.  

You get it done faster, it's alot cheaper to build , and doesn't drive your taxes up too much.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

Small is not always bad.  

You get it done faster, it's alot cheaper to build , and doesn't drive your taxes up too much.  

Kinda like telling a poor man that more money more problems...lol

• Haha 1

Not really.  You actually have time to work on your cars.  I spend all my time trying to get the garage done (just the shell and outside) as I have to keep paying that 340.00 building permit fee every year.   I might be building a big garage but I don't have alot of extra cash floating around so it's all as I can afford it.  If i had the extra Money I would hire it done,  just so I could get back to work on my cars.  As it is I have to sell my 40 Ford just to put a Floor in. I've sold off a few cars to pay for the materials and sold my old shop just to beable to start the project.  No heat, no real electric a gravel floor.  I'm doing all the work so it really crawls.  If i stop working on it and really pump the work into my business that will usually generate a little capital but it's all spent with a trip or two to the lumber yard.  I'm saving up now to buy Cedar shakes to do the upper ends.  They still need to be stained, which I'll be doing,  then I have to put them up. 

I have a friend building a similar garage(well it's all built as he has a much less restrictive income and 3 guys working steady for him on his projects) That's been giving me pointers on what I should and shouldn't do.  Trouble is it's usually expensive stuff to do it right so it takes a few months of work to afford the materials to do the jobs.  

If your size works for you great.  There are alot of days I would rather work on one of my cars.  I haven't even taken them out of the garage yet this year. Lately it's been yardwork and putting in flower gardens for the wife,  so nothing has been happening on the garage,   except of course just sending off that $340 check for the permit last week. I watch your project and others so we can all get different ideas and point things out we have made mistakes on to help save others the headaches and expense of doing it over or to pick up those ideas that might make our projects come out more user friendly as well.  

Ive not worked on a car since October last year...too busy trying to get my little shop done and keep my house afloat.  Many times the last 7 mos where ive thought about how id enjoy life if I xould get off this car addiction....

Just remember the car addiction is suppose to be the tranquilizer in our lives to give us peace and harmony.  I have to remind myself of that as I'm freezing to death on top of a ladder not being able to feel my fingers hammering nailers in place,  or outside in the sun in the summer getting cooked and sweating my butt off spreading dirt and stone.  I have to convince myself it will all be worth it when I can kick back and enjoy working on my old cars in their new palace.  LOL

Sad to think I could have bought a nice Auburn Convertible sedan for what I have invested in my garage.  I keep thinking how much money it's going to take to finish it, which means that much longer until I can actually start saving for one,  all the time they are one of the old cars that keep creeping up in price.  

I'm too committed now to stop,  so I have to see it through.  

After this winter I've been thinking I should have never started the project,  taken that chunk of money and moved south. 

Is there any venting in the soffits to ridge or any insulation between the ceiling and the tin roof?   Just curious as I din't research these kits very much when I was looking to start my project.  

I got lucky and though I had dirt work to do today and spreading stone by hand much of it was in the shade and there was a little breeze part of the time which helped keep the bugs away. 

You should have your lighting done pretty soon.  With all the white surface it should be pretty bright.  My old shop had the lights at angles part way up the wall.  Seemed to give alot of light and not alot of shadows which was nice when working on something.  Do they require that you run the wiring in conduit since it's exposed?   Do you even have to get permits for any of the electrical work? 

I know if i could have gotten away with my building being an AG building I could have built anything I wanted with no fees or inspections.  They wouldn't let me since I don't have a farm,  though I have a 60 horse , horse farm on one side of me and the other neighbor has horses.  You have to love politics. 

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Is there any venting in the soffits to ridge or any insulation between the ceiling and the tin roof?   Just curious as I din't research these kits very much when I was looking to start my project.  

I got lucky and though I had dirt work to do today and spreading stone by hand much of it was in the shade and there was a little breeze part of the time which helped keep the bugs away. 

You should have your lighting done pretty soon.  With all the white surface it should be pretty bright.  My old shop had the lights at angles part way up the wall.  Seemed to give alot of light and not alot of shadows which was nice when working on something.  Do they require that you run the wiring in conduit since it's exposed?   Do you even have to get permits for any of the electrical work? 

I know if i could have gotten away with my building being an AG building I could have built anything I wanted with no fees or inspections.  They wouldn't let me since I don't have a farm,  though I have a 60 horse , horse farm on one side of me and the other neighbor has horses.  You have to love politics. 

There is insulation under the roof.  Yes supposed to be in conduit if exposed.  No comment on permits.