Not quite a restoration project....a Tommy Gun

I guess one of the most challenging things with this is to somehow close in the ends of the gun. At the front around the aluminium barrel and at the rear just above the stock.

Then I had this brainstorm....doesn't happen often I tell you. When we had our pool fence installed the guy left me with about 6 plastic caps. I pulled these out and checked against the opening. Couldn't asked for a better fit......well for the rear one anyway. The trick now is to get the hole cut in the front one so it almost seals around the aluminium barrel. The another brainstorm, what if I heat the offcut of the aluminium tube and sat the fence cap over it in the correct position. So I heated up the offcut and sat the fence cap on top and it gently sank over the heated tube. Could not have asked for a better fit. A bit of fine sanding and it should look the part.

IMAG2580.jpg

IMAG2565.jpg

IMAG2582.jpg

IMAG2586.jpg

IMAG2587.jpg

Next step is the end with the hole in it I have to glue to the main gun body over the aluminium tube. The only way I could do this was to push it against the vice while drying. After a number of clamps, ocky straps and counter weights I finally was able to hold it in place to let dry. While this is drying I experimented with rounding the gun barrel end. Finally got it right using the wire brush wheel on the bench grinder but turning it very gently. Denfintely looking the part.

IMAG2628.jpg

IMAG2629.jpg

IMAG2645.jpg

To add the ribbed gun barrel I was initially thinking of using "O" rings but a friend of mine suggested flexible conduit. Found an offcut at work of a large size and a small size. Interesting enough the small size just fits inside the large size. I worked out how far the small one had to go along the barrel and where the large one just overlapped the end of the aluminium barrel. The small one was too small to go over the plastic conduit so I decided to cut it lengthways, then glued it on the barrel.

IMAG2584.jpg

IMAG2585.jpg

More deadly.....I think that's the problem !!!

After a bit more sanding, I stained and clear glossed the wooden parts so I'm getting enthusiastic about putting it all together. I had a small wood finial that I drilled a hole in the top of the gun and attached and glued in place to give the impression of the round thingy on top ( reloading knob ??? ). Also started to fill in the gaps with metal filler 

IMAG2707.jpg

IMAG2735.jpg

IMAG2705.jpg

That's the bolt.  You pull it back to jack the first shell into the chamber, then let it snap forward.  Now the gun is ready to fire.  In full auto, the bolt goes back and forth as each bullet is fired.  You can often spot it in movies where the muzzle flash is added optically - the bolt never moves.

Just saw a late horror flick where a guy was shooting a large caliber machine gun like Rambo. The muzzle was flashing but the cartridge belt never moved! It's hard to believe that you need a special permit for a toy gun! How many murders are committed in your country with toy guns? Governments always go way overboard! Probably hasn't solved any problems anyway!

Still on the subject of Gangsters,  I was watching a series on the rise of the Chicago Mob with Al Capone / Frank Nitty and others.  Historically pretty accurate until they got to the cars. Obviously the people who made the movie had no ideas on the cars they were using.

example,  It is 1955 and they walk out to a 1930's police car to be arrested.  It is 1945 (right after the war) and they got into a 1949 Buick.  I started watching closer just to see what else might be wrong. even my wife knew the cars were not correct.

Nice recreation of a Tommy Gun, I can't wait to see if when done.

It is tricky dealing with all the regulations we have here. Guns / Weapons are classified in 3 categories. Real, Replica and imitation. All 3 need various forms of permits / licences. As mine is an Imitation, it only needs a permit not a licence. But I still have to justify why I want the permit, how the imitation gun will be secured when not displayed, blah blah blah......I think this process will be harder than making the gun !

Using my flat piece of aluminium strip a tried to bend the shape for the sight I needed but it became brittle and broke. I realised by heating it up I could bend it further. Had a few goes and finally got the look I wanted. Turned the gun over and pop riveted in place. Also sanded back the rest of the filler. 

IMAG2731.jpg

IMAG2732.jpg

IMAG2733.jpg

IMAG2736.jpg

Ok so with everything sanded back and masked the speargun handle I gave the whole thing a shot of etch primer. A bit of tidying up to do but looking the part now !

Started to think how I'm going to mount the front handle, so essentially a flat handle on a round tube.

Using an old piece of flexible conduit I tried a spade bit in the drill but that tore it apart. Tried heating up a socket from my spanner set but that also made a mess.

Finally marked it out and using a small drill bit I can drill out the circle I need and then on my Dremel clean up both holes.

To mount the handle I'm going to use a couple of TV circular mounts. I'll file one end so its concave and will fit over the round aluminium tube nicely.

IMAG2745.jpg

IMAG2749.jpg

IMAG2750.jpg

IMAG2751.jpg

IMAG2752.jpg

IMAG2760.jpg

IMAG2761.jpg

Got the holes drilled in the flexible conduit and used a dremel to smooth the insides. Grabbed a couple of black spacers and filed a concave a one end. These seem to sit well. Next step is to make a few of the front bits of the ammunition canister. The first bit is the unlock lever so I've made the base first.

IMAG2600.jpg

IMAG2762.jpg

IMAG2787.jpg

IMAG2753.jpg

1 hour ago, jpage said:

All those stringent regulations and I'll bet that the criminals still have guns and folks still get shot! Our progressive leaders want to get rid of our guns too: they think crime is bad here now! The model is looking good!

Firearm death rate per 100,000 people is about ten times higher in the US than in Australia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate 

I can understand both points of view and I don't mind regulation to some degree but when it gets ridiculous that's when they lose me.

Using some roofing long screws I finally got to mount the front handle. As the screws are going into aluminium I drilled the holes a bit smaller so the screws would basically tap themselves in. This should give it a solid mounting. Now were cooking....I'll mount the stock later today.

IMAG2808.jpg

IMAG2815.jpg

Not quite finished but close. I used some flat furniture head attachments I had to attach the butt to the main body. Now it looks like the real thing !

All I have to do now is put the fence post top in the end to finish it off, quick sand and coat of paint, remove the tape on the handle  and that should be it.

Going through the hoops will be interesting to ay the least, you can count on it with the people who work in these departments !

IMAG2807.jpg

IMAG2816.jpg

Well.....here you go. The finished item.

Covered the stock and put the last fence cap on the end.

Last spray of Chassis Paint and removed the tape.

My daughters 21st is in a few weeks so I'll get someone to take a shot of me dressed up for the night.

I looked at hiring an outfit an they wanted $100.

I found a pin stripe suit at a store we have here that deals in recycled clothes for $25.....but it was half price Thursday so it cost me $12.50

My wife found a black satin shirt for $7

Bought a pair of white braces and a tie for $18.50

Biggest cost was the hat made in Italy for $40

The gun cost me only my time with my bits and pieces.

So I got out of it with $78 and I get to keep it.

Cheers

Ian

IMAG2891.jpg

IMAG2912.jpg

IMAG2913.jpg

IMAG2914.jpg

IMAG2915.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...