User Warnings and Points

There have been a number of posts and I have received a couple of pms regarding this subject. Peter G has asked for input from the moderators regarding it's implementation. Perhaps it would be good to have some input from the members also. The basics of it are:

Comprehensive user warnings

When users cause trouble, moderators can turn to the user warnings system to issue and track punishments.

Issue points for rule-breaking
Points can be issued for certain types of behavior. Admins can define a number of points for each type of infraction, or let moderators make the judgement.

Automatic actions against troublemakers
When certain thresholds are reached, punishments such as content pre-approval, suspension or even banning can be automatically issued.

User notifications & acknowledgements
And users are notified of their punishment via the community-wide notifications system and can optionally be required to acknowledge punishments too.

Of course all the BCA Forum members whom I moderate are such ladies and gentlemen with such polite and courteous behavior and speech, I seldom have cause to slap any wrists. However when I do, I think it might be good to have a system whereby pre-established and defined points for certain types of infractions are used by all mods and punishments handed out objectively and accordingly. It also offers a way to more privately issue warnings.

Input welcome.

Edit) One thing I want to clarify, the "0 Warning Points" you see under your photo/avatar, is only viewable by you, as a reminder of your infractions, it is not seen by others.

As I understand it, the "0 warning points" that folks are seeing on their own profile are part of the new forum software system that we use to ban spammers. I don't think that we need to use the warning points part of the system but it may or may not be possible for the "0 warning points" display to be removed as we need to use that part of the forum software to ban spammers. The new forum software is much more secure and has stopped almost all of the spammers from getting through but the moderators will occasionally have to ban a spammer manually. I don't personally see a need to utilitze "warning points" for minor infractions. The moderators have always had the ability to send a private message to individuals who have violated the forum rules. As long as it reads "0 warning points" you don't have a problem. If you see some other number than zero then you might want to get concerned about it.

• 2 weeks later...

So what you are saying, Lamar, is that a forum member can be fined (awarded points) an undetermined amount, for violating an undefined protocol, by an unspecified  moderator, some of whom can best be described as a bit sensitive, for which an unspecified and variable punishment will be meted out. Sounds like something dreamed up in North Korea. I personally think it's sophomoric, silly, and beneath the dignity of management, who should know better..........Bob

Bhigdog,

Did you read my earlier response in this thread? The "warning points" display is a result of the portion of the software that is used to ban spammers. There has been no discussion, and I certainly don't expect any discussion of, any use of "warning points" being used to admonish forum members. The funny part of it is that a banned spammer now shows up as having 2 warning points. Obviously the forum software setup did not include any programming of warning point levels for any other level of rule infractions. There is no need for any legitimate forum user to worry about this issue.

Yes, I did read your prior post, Matt. I also read fellow staffer Lamar's post which seems to say something quite different, and I also read Peter G's ( an assumed architect of the forum soft ware)  post in a related thread, which explained exactly zero about the purpose or possible effects of the warning point issue.

When I see a term like "warning points" attached to my forum persona I naturally expect a clear explanation of what I am being warned against and the penalties for said warning points.

It would be no different that if you, as police officer, issued a warning citation to someone and that warning offered no reason other than "this is a warning".

I'm quite baffled as to why this "points" issue was even attempted and even further baffled as to why a clear explanation isn't forthcoming.........Bob

Bob, take note of the dates of the first and consecutive posts. The first was an attempt to explain the "Point System" available with the new software and that Peter had asked for input. The text was taken straight from the new IP software site.  Since that time as Matt referenced it appears things will continue to be handled in the same manner as always. Ie each moderator dealing with individual infractions on a one on one basis via private messages. In other words "don worry about it" B)

"It appears things will continue to be handled in the same manner as always. Ie each moderator dealing with individual infractions on a one on one basis via private messages. In other words "don worry about it" B)

Personally Lamar, while I'm not worrying about it per se, I find that warning label attached to my name both intrusive and disrespectful....................... Bob

If a warning is issued (and the only ones so far have been to spammers who were being banned) the person being warned receives a message from the moderator explaining what forum rule violation he or she is being "warned" about. This is nothing different from what happened with the old software. Unfortunately the new software tells every user that they have "0 warning points".  Even if a user received a warning point, only that user and the moderators would see that. Every forum user sees their own number of points but not anyone else's. If there is any way to eliminate that unnecessary display of "0 warning points" while still being able to use that portion of the forum software to ban spammers, I would certainly hope that Peter could do that. 

I understand and support every effort to thwart spammers, Matt. That said, and not to be overly dramatic, I find the implication that my name is subject to some kind of social warning, whether or not one was issued, insulting and disrespectful. I cringe every time I see the WP tag..................Bob 

Guest Flyer1

Chill out you guys :) ,as already said the warning points are only visible to yourself, we have had many a loony/troublemaker

on one of the forums over here and had the odd discussion about the same thing.

It basically came down to that even though Mods./Admin run the show the forum was "self policing" to degree that other forum members would try and calm things down through the use of well thought out replies (take that to mean whatever,we have pretty outspoken members who call a spade a spade) :) as no doubt there is on all forums.

If the troublesome member did not settle down a bit , from what i understand is Admin. would then notify (privately) the member who was out of line and issue some numbers in the warning system so that the member would see an infringement of certain rules when they logged on.

(Just as a side note , we get away with some stuff that would not be tolerated on this forum at all.)

Having said that, if the member continued to stir things up (mainly personal attacks) then Admin. would start deleting posts in threads..they just vanish, (get hidden).

At the same time there is a "report" (left of multiquote) function at the bottom of the page that would probably get used if a member was really getting under the skin of other members,of course as one should imagine the degree and number of reports/and/or how much trouble member was causing would need to be set by Admin.

Other than that...what is to worry about :) 

The changeover to the software now used may seem a little different,as is all change, but from a personal view having used it close 

on 10 yrs it is pretty bloody good.......hope that doesn't get a red mark?   ph34r.png    admin.gif

The IP.Board warning system is simply part of the software package, that can be used or not as the admin sees fit.

Warning points are, as mentioned, are visible only to the member himself (and not to the general membership) but also to the various admins and possibly to the moderation team. The system acts more as an information system so the admins and mods teams will know who has been a troublemaker in the past.

The warning system is simply not anything to be concerned about IMO. Only the smallest fraction of the members will ever receive warning points, typically when the AACA Forum Rules are abridged. These are accessible at the bottom RH side of any forum page and, I believe, are the standards of behavior every member agreed to observe during the registration process.

• 4 months later...

From what I am reading, warning points can only be seen by the individual who has warning points given - it that correct?  If that is correct, why am I able to see warning points on some users?

There are no current users with any warning points that I am aware of. There is at least one member who posted a number of "warning points" in the signature line of his profile as a joke. He thinks it is funny.