74 Lesabre A/C - Fan runs high speed despite switch setting

JoelsBuicks

My 74 Lesabre A/C is charged and cooling nicely but the fan motor is unresponsive to the switch.  The fan seems to be running on high speed whenever the Heater and A/C control is switched on.  The fan speed switch cannot turn down the fan.

The only diagnostic that I have done is to check the fuses under the dash and they all look ok.  I do not have a wiring diagram for this car. 

I was hoping someone could direct me to the highest probable cause or route me through a reasonable diagnostic sequence so that tearing into the dash comes at a last resort.  This stuff is much more modern that what I'm used to.

Thank you,

The fan is then running off the 12 volt wire only.  Under the dash is fan speed controller. Usually on the passenger side of the dash. Bolted into the ducting for the blower motor. Sometimes located on the firewall cowl where the blower motor is mounted.    Easy to access in most cases. .   Needs to be replace.

Looks like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Otherwise known as "blower motor resistor".  On many GM vehicles, it's the "plate" with the wiring harness plug-in on it, under the hood, on the a/c evaporator case.  All the instrument panel switch does is to change "the circuit" used in the resistor set-up to vary the fan speed.

On many GM vehicles of that era, when the a/c control was placed on "Max" (or inside air), then blower motor would automatically go to "high", via a switch on the back of the a/c control head, which ran the "High Blower Relay".  Should have an extra wire on the back of the instrument panel control, as I recall, which ran that situation.  Unplugging that wire would give your FULL fan control on "MAX" or "outside air" for a/c use.

NTX5467

The blower motor resistor is under the hood, on the passenger side, bolted to the AC box.  It will have a red/maroon color as noted above and be easy to see.  Replace that part (it's quite available even at you local auto parts store) and you will regain fan speed control once again.  If you're not too concerned with exact authenticity, it can be obtained for much less than the NOS part listed.  O'Riley has it listed for $8.99 in even the correct color if you can believe their website.  http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Blower+Motor+Resistor/02627/C0331.oap?year=1974&make=Buick&model=LeSabre&vi=5134081

Wow, I had to depart from the site urgently to attend my Dad's surgery and when I returned, I found the answers I needed. Dad is doing great and I don't have to tear my car apart! Thank you all very much!

Joel

The information is free.  However, please report back the repair was successful.   :)  

I removed the resistor cluster and was expecting to see something obvious like a burn or separation that would cause open circuits. It actually looked good and I'll attempt to post a picture here with my iPhone. So I'm guessing the switch is next?

Thanks again for your help,

Joel

post-98687-0-82288700-1432249390_thumb.j

post-98687-0-23262200-1432249418_thumb.j

My experience with the resistor is that the fan will run on high speed only when the switch is set to high. Otherwise if the resistor has a short, the fan did not work when the switch was set to the level with the faulty circuit.

I assume your car has climate control AC, as opposed to automatic climate control AC?

If so then slide the temp lever towards heat and see if the fan works. If not I'd b looking for a manual to read up before tearing into any other parts of the system.

• Like 1

John, I will try that and meant to do it after reading Willis' post. The car doesn't have automatic climate control. I'll also do a post-to-post continuity check on the resistors. The switch feels ok in that it has subtle stops at the different positions.

Dad had eye surgery, nothing bad but Mom was unable to drive him. At 81, I feel lucky to have him around.

Thanks!

Not sure what's happening with my duplicate posts but boy am I feeling stupid right now. I took the temp control off of "Recirc" and guess what? Yep, the fan speed control worked!

I don't like putting my ignorance on display but it's not the first and won't be the last. Thanks to you all, I learned how this switch speed control works and I learned mine works just fine.

Thanks again,

Joel

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)

Thanks for that update.  That deal of GM cars' a/c blower motors being on "high only" in the "Recir" mode is something that I know there's a reason for, didn't really like on my '77 Camaro, and many have forgotten about over the years.

NTX5467

Not sure what's happening with my duplicate posts but boy am I feeling stupid right now. I took the temp control off of "Recirc" and guess what? Yep, the fan speed control worked!

I don't like putting my ignorance on display but it's not the first and won't be the last. Thanks to you all, I learned how this switch speed control works and I learned mine works just fine.

Thanks again,

Joel

Welcome to the club, Joel. There are only two kinds of people in the world. Those who have made those kinds of mistakes , and those who will.   

Glad everything worked out and that Dad is improving.

Ben

Thanks again,

Joel

All is well that ends well!