Jayspartanburg's 89 TC Maserati project log/ build thread

How's everyone doing? I will log all work on my car in this thread. Its a 89 TC that I bought 45 mins away from my house. Progress will be slow on this car, but I will be working on it as time and money allow. Hopefully no one get their panties in a bunch over some of the mods I plan on, going to do it MY way, but all feedback or help is appreciated. I'm putting a list of stuff that I think I'll be doing to it, so everyone has an idea, and as a note to myself. (This list will most likely change several times) In no particular order:

1 Socketed SMEC

2 +20 injectors

3 Aftermarket radio, speakers, amps, and sub(s)

4 Seats recovered

5 Soft top replaced (unsure if original color or black at the moment)

6 Relay headlights (looking for bulb suggestions)

7 Overdrive transmission conversion

8 Aftermarket rims

9 Alternator upgrade (most likely something custom)

post-99146-143142388037_thumb.jpg

2/11/14 changed oil with Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 10-30- 113xxx miles

BTW: I plan on doing a transmission conversion so the trans will be for sale eventually. I'm most likely going to keep it in the car until it sells. Its a Jasper with supposedly less than 3k miles on it that shifts perfect and looks new outside! I just want an overdrive trans, I'm a five speed guy and the 3spd just doesn't cut it for me and my long highway commute to work. No rush to sell it and this is not a for sale ad, but if someone is interested just shoot me a PM as I don't want to clog up my thread with sales..

post-99146-143142387925_thumb.jpg

post-99146-143142387959_thumb.jpg

post-99146-143142387986_thumb.jpg

post-99146-143142388011_thumb.jpg

post-99146-143142388063_thumb.jpg

Edited by jayspartanburg (see edit history)

2/11/14 changed oil with Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 10-30- 113xxx miles

BTW: I plan on doing a transmission conversion so the trans will be for sale eventually. I'm most likely going to keep it in the car until it sells. Its a Jasper with supposedly less than 3k miles on it that shifts perfect and looks new outside! I just want an overdrive trans, I'm a five speed guy and the 3spd just doesn't cut it for me and my long highway commute to work. No rush to sell it and this is not a for sale ad, but if someone is interested just shoot me a PM as I don't want to clog up my thread with sales..

This should be interesting as you proceed.

• 3 weeks later...

Blew the head gasket on the way to work last Thursday. I put in a new one and have the head torqued already just have to finish up the lil stuff. Have a new VC gasket and I'm trying to remember where I put my other 180 tstat. Will finish it this weekend, supposedly it will be in the upper 60's this weekend. Have also been wanting to start the stereo upgrade but the sound deadener got lost in shipping but they sent another one that I received yesterday. Also the coolant line from the turbo to block was junk so I snatched the one out of the Daytona.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a batt isolator in the wiper area under the plastic, relocated the spare to the trunk, and refitted the compartment for 2nd batt(for system) amp etc. Easier and cheaper than alt change and always have back up. Keep it up, nice to see im not alone in Masi missions. lol

I ran a batt isolator in the wiper area under the plastic, relocated the spare to the trunk, and refitted the compartment for 2nd batt(for system) amp etc. Easier and cheaper than alt change and always have back up. Keep it up, nice to see im not alone in Masi missions. lol

The biggest power saver is R F punch capacitor, Ive only installed about half of the system, waiting on the harnesses for my panasonic 7in flip screen, in the mean time using kenwood deck with too much power too use crossover and all three amps. all spks are rockford fosgate componets. and JL audio 10's all hidden except 4 tweeters(2 door, 2back upper) and 2 crossovers(door)

The biggest power saver is R F punch capacitor, Ive only installed about half of the system, waiting on the harnesses for my panasonic 7in flip screen, in the mean time using kenwood deck with too much power too use crossover and all three amps. all spks are rockford fosgate componets. and JL audio 10's all hidden except 4 tweeters(2 door, 2back upper) and 2 crossovers(door)

Man, you system sounds Badazz! Seriously!

Sent from my N9510 using Tapatalk

Been busy doing other stuff today, but I put a new oil switch from O'Reillys today and that fixed that gauge issue thankfully. I'm going to do a compression test this weekend and get someone to lend me a oil pressure tester so I can reference it later if need be. I think I'm still going to go with a alternator eventually, just don't know if the alt in there can handle 2 batteries. Going to do the big three whenever I put that system in. Once I get the brakes sorted all the obvious bugs when I bought it will be taken care of. Also, the rims I put in there are going on the Daytona and I'll save some money up to buy the TC new ones.

Realized I haven't put a pic here..

tyha8aze.jpg

Going to buy some used GTC springs from a friend and put them on whenever I get new rims

What year is that daytona? Ive got some cool stuff for 92-93, body xtras, tail, ...... The computer is interlinked with the charging system, I would hit up HEMI and see if a alt change will screw with things.

What size rims(offset etc.) And tires are you running? It a 87 Daytona Pacifica t2 conv. It's 3 bar +40's etc. Converted to smec. Going to either get the SMEC socketed or have a flash module installed (boost button). I have a socketed SMEC in the Daytona and I have a burn2 burner, and mptune. Will probably go with a external voltage regulator, not sure yet

etuqejub.jpg<br />

Bought some rims off of craigslist last night. Just put them on. Drag dr-35 18x7.5 +45 215/35/18. Might need taller tires or rims, haven't really decided tho they might end up on the Pacifica..<br />

Edit:: forgot to mention I had to put the maserati wheels on the Daytona because I only have one set of "tuner" lugs u6u4u5us.jpg<br/>

Car is down again. I'm thinking either a torque converter bolt or flex plate. Getting it towed to my friend/mechanics house tomorrow. He's gonna get it right and I'll be fixing the Daytona. Also got all the speakers in minus the tweeters. Took pics. Still have to do the radio, amps, and sound deading material.

• 1 month later...
Jay, Want to tell you the TC looks really nice. One thing I would suggest is a new accumulator on the brake system as it looks like an original one from the first pictures in this thread. Keep up the great work. Bob

Thanks. I haven't really studied the brake system much less inspect it, but i know the abs doesn't work. Hopefully I'll get on it next month.

It's been about a month so I guess it's update time? The problem I had with the car was the number 3 rod bearing that was in the oil pickup. The rod and crank both had damage. I picked up a turbo 2.5 CB short block. Engine is in the car now just have to put everything around it in there. New rod bearings were put in even tho the ones that came out looked good. Also upgrading the alternator. The flex plate was also cracked and was replaced with a used one. Hoping to finish up this weekend. Thinking of putting a few gauges in there. Maybe where the CD player would have went? I'm not sure was thinking maybe oil pressure and vac/boost, or maybe wideband( I have a mtx-l) don't know yet, guess I'll figure it out once it's running. Have a good set of t2 rods, just need a crank and the 2.2 will be built for the Daytona Pacifica..

Been busy doing other stuff today, but I put a new oil switch from O'Reillys today and that fixed that gauge issue thankfully. I'm going to do a compression test this weekend and get someone to lend me a oil pressure tester so I can reference it later if need be. I think I'm still going to go with a alternator eventually, just don't know if the alt in there can handle 2 batteries. Going to do the big three whenever I put that system in. Once I get the brakes sorted all the obvious bugs when I bought it will be taken care of. Also, the rims I put in there are going on the Daytona and I'll save some money up to buy the TC new ones.

What alternator do you have currently? Likely, you have a BOSCH which is a good alternator, but hard to rebuild yourself. I would recommend the Chrysler 40/90 or the 50/120. They are the ones with a black plastic cover on the side where the wires connect. On these, you can replace diodes and brushes without removing the alternator from the engine. Any alternator can handle 2 batteries as long as they are connected in parallel. The important thing with alternators is that they should not be used to charge a dead battery as that puts a greater load on the diodes especially and can burn them out. So 2 dead batteries could cause twice the harm.

Dead or very low batteries should be charged on an appropriate slow charger.

I have a ND 120 amp alternator to install, May install it this weekend. It has a remanufactured older style on there now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

That should work well. Just do not overload it.

• 1 month later...