Sign in to follow this  
jayspartanburg

Jayspartanburg's 89 TC Maserati project log/ build thread

Was that outside the front main seal? It looks like it's been cracked for a LONG time and finally just gave up. I have also heard of this happening to some other people and part of the solution was to use a longer crank pulley bolt so that the hole and threads were supported almost the entire bore. In stock form I believe the bolt comes well short and can lead to this type of failure.

Was that outside the front main seal? It looks like it's been cracked for a LONG time and finally just gave up. I have also heard of this happening to some other people and part of the solution was to use a longer crank pulley bolt so that the hole and threads were supported almost the entire bore. In stock form I believe the bolt comes well short and can lead to this type of failure.

I thought it was inside, but I'll take a look this weekend when I work on the car.

Going to post a pic from my cell of the strut bag. Haven't really touched the airride stuff in awhile, but that's about to happen. I snapped it earlier and didn't think to share. 

I thought it was inside, but I'll take a look this weekend when I work on the car.

Going to post a pic from my cell of the strut bag. Haven't really touched the airride stuff in awhile, but that's about to happen. I snapped it earlier and didn't think to share. 

Looking at the photo, you can see the front crank seal, with all the ridges on the backside, down at the bottom of the 'stub'.

So it was definitely inside at the point the stub contacts the forward most counterweight.

Rear brakes are getting pretty bad on my Acura CL type s so I'm going to get some rotors and pads at the LKQ 40% off sale to hold me down until I can afford to get some good stuff for it. I bought 6 sheets of plywood that are approx 3x6 for $4 a piece so I should be able to get the engine and trans rolled in on my gravel driveway.

post-141340-0-56593800-1448779661_thumb.

Holy crap! How did it break the block!? It makes me wonder if there was a catastrophic failure in a gasket or something that caused and instant hyrdolock situation? Of course I didn't see the "milkshake" usually associated with that so...I dunno! That's one of the worst failures I've seen out of one of these engines not pushing much power. I have seen a N/A 2.5 eat itself (thing looked like it came apart at 10,000rpm...it was in an auto minivan! LOL)...that one had us scratching our heads, too.

Holy crap! How did it break the block!? It makes me wonder if there was a catastrophic failure in a gasket or something that caused and instant hyrdolock situation? Of course I didn't see the "milkshake" usually associated with that so...I dunno! That's one of the worst failures I've seen out of one of these engines not pushing much power. I have seen a N/A 2.5 eat itself (thing looked like it came apart at 10,000rpm...it was in an auto minivan! LOL)...that one had us scratching our heads, too.

How about 10,000 RPM? Once something lets go at those RPMs, anything can happen? Any of you guys watch NASCAR? 

I have the engine in the car connected to the mounts and nothing else. Before I go any further with that I'm going to clean out the inside a little because I've been using the car for storage. I plan on figuring out where and how all the airride stuff will be mounted. Also going to cut the center console for the manual shift boot.

Got the inside cleared out and the airride stuff in the trunk ready for me to install it. I'm thinking either something like in the pic with the tank and valves on one side and the compressor in the other. May throw everything in the middle and make a false floor. Decisions decisions decisions... also have the clutch pedal in, going to cut the brake pedal in place and make a clutch pedal stop. Let's see when the weather and my schedule let me put in some work. I'm also expecting a baby this month so we'll see..

post-141340-0-47728100-1449366541_thumb.

^ I love the direction you're taking it. I would stuff it all in the well in the center and cover it as long as the compressor wouldn't overheat. Either way its super cool that you're adding air ride to the tc

How about 10,000 RPM? Once something lets go at those RPMs, anything can happen? Any of you guys watch NASCAR? 

You had to have seen the carnage! LOL I couldn't believe what I was seeing knowing what the engine was, who was driving it, and how it was used. I've seen outboard boat engines nuke themselves at WOT that looked more savable! LOL

I like the idea of the air ride stuff...it's just the size of the rest of the equipment that's killing me. Between wanting to put a nicer stereo that will require some space be used for a sub and amps, wanting the keep the car somewhat practical (as practical as one of these can be) and the tank/pump/valves required for air-ride...makes me reconsider.

I have 2 amps where the spare tire was. I'm thinking if I build a small enough box for 3 8's or maybe 2 shallow mount 10's I should have some space left over. What's killing me is 1) I originally planned on going with a engine driven compressor for the air but I wouldn't dare disable the AC on the Masi as I would the Daytona and 2) I really feel that I'd be happier with a larger air tank. Guess when I put everything together I won't put to much work into the install incase I feel like some of the components need to be upgraded.

come to think of it I have a portable air tank (maybe like 7 gallons). When I get everything working I'll most likely temporarily connect it in place of the other one to see if there's a significant difference. 

2 10" subs

How did you stop the Inevitable rattle and deaden that? I'm very interested in that type of set up

I have been thinking about the sub mounting as well and was thinking of modifying the spare tire storage area and put the amps in the trunk under the soft top shelf.

As for the air ride...I'm going to ask a very uneducated question...why do you need such a large tank? I understand it if you are using the system as somebody might at a car show, etc. but I really would have no intention of doing that. I just want to set the car up the way I like it and leave it be. I have a race car if I want to muck around with suspension settings all day.

Today I noticed the windshield is cracked pretty bad. I'm not very happy about that! I went to the car with the intention of getting it ready to start and after the windshield incident I lost about 45 mins of my time stuck on how I can't afford a replacement  for a few months.  I did get about 2 hour worth of work and cleaning up done tho. 

I have been thinking about the sub mounting as well and was thinking of modifying the spare tire storage area and put the amps in the trunk under the soft top shelf.

As for the air ride...I'm going to ask a very uneducated question...why do you need such a large tank? I understand it if you are using the system as somebody might at a car show, etc. but I really would have no intention of doing that. I just want to set the car up the way I like it and leave it be. I have a race car if I want to muck around with suspension settings all day.

I would like to play with them a lil from time to time, but more than anything the thought of the compressor noise!!   When I was going to use the engine driven compressor (EDC) it wasn't an issue but I'm sure the compressor going in the trunk will eventually get on my nerves. I think tomorrow I'll connect it to a battery and see how bad it really is. If I had the extra money I'd get someone to build me a tank somewhere hidden. 

O-rings are on the way from airbagit. The compressor isn't as loud as I was scared of, so hopefully it isn't too bad with the engine running. Not much to update, I'm getting a cold or something, so I'm going to take it easy..

Guess one last update before I do anything  else. I figure instead of going thru the hassle of trying to find the fabric to match when I do a false floor and having to get it right I;m just going to go with a wood floor in the trunk. Should make it clean and presentable. I have a teammate in my basketball rec league team that does flooring for a living so I'll probably let him tackle it for me. :)